Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

80s instrumental versions

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Re: 80s instrumental versions

Postby poundcoin » October 5th, 2021, 6:50 am

I'm more of a 60s era but one of my favourite albums that I have on vinyl is League Unlimited and "Love and Dancing" .
Basically it's the Human League re-doing their hits in instrumental versions .. Brilliant album !

https://www.google.com/search?q=The+Hum ... AF6BAgHEBo

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 5th, 2021, 4:19 pm

Lootman wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
Sunnypad wrote:In the 90s, they were played a lot in nightclubs.

Well I certainly remember these tracks you are describing being commonplace.The same music but with the vocal track deleted from the mix.

I never understood the point of them as karaoki had not been invented at that time.

There was definitely karaoke in the 1990s because I attended a few bars and clubs featuring it in the mid-1990s, due to having a friend who who was crazy about it, and eventually ended up getting banned from most of the places offering it.

Its origins go back to the 1960s and 1970s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karaoke#History

How on earth do you get banned from a karaoke bar? Those who couldn't sing were part of the entertainment! 8-)

Steve

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 7th, 2021, 8:58 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Partly so DJs could do mixes and 'mash ups'? A cynical part of me also suspects they were a cheap way to fill a B side..
My 12" of Blue Monday (original FAC73 of course) has 'The Beach' on the B-side, which is basically a remixed instrumental of Blue Monday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn66szsjUGw

Oh I have that one too, black sleeve and inner with the colours down the side, bought at the time.... or 'before it's time' as such [if you were there] hehe...

Remember? Wall Of Voodoo - Mexican Radio (Official Video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCEexG9xjw A fav of John Peel...

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 7th, 2021, 9:18 pm

I remember Wall of Voodoo...
Oddly, that's not the only popular song about Mexican radio...
Special prize if anyone gets it (Clues: Texans, Beards, Mexican radio stations have an 'X' as the first letter of their callsign cf. US stations with a 'W' or 'K')

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » October 7th, 2021, 9:36 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Clues: Texans, Beards, Mexican radio stations have an 'X'

ZZ Top X then I cheated as my ZZ Top knowledge is limited

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 7th, 2021, 9:41 pm

kempiejon wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Clues: Texans, Beards, Mexican radio stations have an 'X'

ZZ Top X then I cheated as my ZZ Top knowledge is limited

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPTfIPHLUcw

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 7th, 2021, 10:25 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Partly so DJs could do mixes and 'mash ups'? A cynical part of me also suspects they were a cheap way to fill a B side..
My 12" of Blue Monday (original FAC73 of course) has 'The Beach' on the B-side, which is basically a remixed instrumental of Blue Monday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn66szsjUGw

Oh I have that one too, black sleeve and inner with the colours down the side, bought at the time.... or 'before it's time' as such [if you were there] hehe...

Remember? Wall Of Voodoo - Mexican Radio (Official Video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCEexG9xjw A fav of John Peel...

We took up karaoke in the house during Covid
- there's software that will let you get access to almost anything (for a subscription)
- add a couple of UHF mics (and a Vocoder/Autotune pedal for the elder kid - she tries bless her) and it's great fun for everyone

Anyways Stan Ridgway's "Camouflage" became a family favorite (just behind "under the sea" from the little mermaid and "killing in the name" by rage)

-sd

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 8th, 2021, 8:37 am

servodude wrote:We took up karaoke in the house during Covid
- there's software that will let you get access to almost anything (for a subscription)
- add a couple of UHF mics (and a Vocoder/Autotune pedal for the elder kid - she tries bless her) and it's great fun for everyone

Anyways Stan Ridgway's "Camouflage" became a family favorite (just behind "under the sea" from the little mermaid and "killing in the name" by rage)

-sd

Did you film yourselves? How much are the films?

AiY

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 8th, 2021, 9:08 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:

-sd

Did you film yourselves? How much are the films?

AiY

That would be a whole new Pandora incident :o

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 10th, 2021, 8:10 pm

-sd

'Tis a hoot. In fact we went to karaoke in Soho with some friends just last night. I especially enjoy what I learn, totally out of the blue, about a song I've long loved and think I know well. As having to sing it is so different to simply listening. Examples: Jagger is quite a small guy but try and sing (in tune/in time/+keep up) with Paint it Black through to the end. Or Sympathy for the Devil.
Ozzy looks like a beast but his vocals are fun, limited in vocal range and not so hard as he pauses and breathes quite frequently (Crazy Train is a fun one to have a go at). Singing Queen can be fun too... try 'Don't stop me know' and see, that one is more relentless than you might imagine too... :)

We had a mic set at home. Also used to play on-line karaoke*, where you sing to an app on your IT, and then issue an on-line challenge to a friend. All free/all auto-scored for points so 'competitive/friendly'... That's also why it's fun, you have to just let it go, no point being shy as no one but you cares if you get it right...

*The website - which no longer exists - was KaraokeParty. No idea is there are other equivalents out there today...

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 10th, 2021, 8:31 pm

I'm sorry to say that the sign outside a pub most likely to put me off is
"Karaoke Tonight!"

Closely followed by;
"Fun Pub!"

(Surely going to the pub should be fun? You don't need a sign to tell you ? You don't go to the pub to be miserable. Unless you're my ex-mate B*****, the tosser. They say misery loves company.)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 10th, 2021, 8:44 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:You don't go to the pub to be miserable. Unless you're my ex-mate B*****, the tosser. They say misery loves company.)

Au contraire, few places are better for whining than a pub. You can complain about anything and everything in a pub, from alleging that the landlord waters down his beer, through laments about the failures of the local football team, to the usual gripes about politicians.

My favourite loser is a guy called Rick who spends 9 to 5 every day in my local. He always sits on his own with his paper and, if you elect to talk to him, he will regale you about how he hates royalty, children and (especially) his ex-wife.

He is a national treasure.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » October 10th, 2021, 9:00 pm

Lootman wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:You don't go to the pub to be miserable. Unless you're my ex-mate B*****, the tosser. They say misery loves company.)

Au contraire, few places are better for whining than a pub. You can complain about anything and everything in a pub, from alleging that the landlord waters down his beer, through laments about the failures of the local football team, to the usual gripes about politicians.

My favourite loser is a guy called Rick who spends 9 to 5 every day in my local. He always sits on his own with his paper and, if you elect to talk to him, he will regale you about how he hates royalty, children and (especially) his ex-wife.

He is a national treasure.
That is the perfect rebuttal. AleisterCrowley hasn't a leg to stand upon. C. (Much though I love him.)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 10th, 2021, 11:00 pm

Ah, but that's people who enjoy being miserable
It's their idea of fun

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 10th, 2021, 11:03 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Ah, but that's people who enjoy being miserable
It's their idea of fun

"Misery poker" every night at 7

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 11th, 2021, 10:06 am

servodude wrote:
It's their idea of fun

"Yes they're sharing a drink they call loneliness
But it's better than drinkin' alone"

John

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 11th, 2021, 10:25 am

redsturgeon wrote:
servodude wrote:
It's their idea of fun

John

One of my favourite bits of flotsam I've encountered on the intertubes over the years is https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/a-note-placed-in-the-pay-envelope-of-billy-the-piano-man-joel

-sd

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 11th, 2021, 10:52 am

servodude wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
servodude wrote:

John

One of my favourite bits of flotsam I've encountered on the intertubes over the years is https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/a-note-placed-in-the-pay-envelope-of-billy-the-piano-man-joel

-sd

That was good sd...I was laughing out loud.

John

Return to “Does anyone know?”