Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

ISBN and editions

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
swill453
Lemon Half

ISBN and editions

Postby swill453 » October 12th, 2021, 4:43 pm

Does an ISBN for a book change when a new edition comes out? I have seen 13 digit and 10 digit ISBNs quoted for books, does the answer to this question differ depending which one is used?

Scott.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Re: ISBN and editions

Postby pochisoldi » October 12th, 2021, 5:07 pm

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 12th, 2021, 5:12 pm

pochisoldi wrote:A quick Google threw up this:
https://wikilivre.org/culture/can-the-s ... me%20title.

I see that it says "An ISBN is assigned to each separate edition and variation (except reprintings) of a publication". This is the source of my confusion then, since I am right now looking at two different editions of a Rother walking guidebook, and they both have identical ISBNs (both 10- and 13-digit).

Puzzled.

Scott.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » October 12th, 2021, 6:18 pm

swill453 wrote:
pochisoldi wrote:A quick Google threw up this:
https://wikilivre.org/culture/can-the-s ... me%20title.

I see that it says "An ISBN is assigned to each separate edition and variation (except reprintings) of a publication". This is the source of my confusion then, since I am right now looking at two different editions of a Rother walking guidebook, and they both have identical ISBNs (both 10- and 13-digit).

Puzzled.

Scott.

Assuming they actually update the text, rather than just putting a new date on the publication page it appears to be a quirk of the publisher.

The same ISBN covers all these Rother Corsica books from 2002 to 2016: It appears to be a quirk of the publisher with books of all release dates

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Sear ... &sortby=19

In contrast 'Walking in Italy (Lonely Planet Walking Guides)' has different ISBNs for teh 1998 and 2003 editions.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Sear ... s%29&sts=t

Regarding ISBN 10 v ISBN 13, more books require more ISBN numbers...

Prior to 2007, the ISBN was 10 digits in length. In January 2007, the 13-digit ISBN launched to increase the capacity of the ISBN system.

- https://www.isbn.org/about_isbn_standard

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 12th, 2021, 6:42 pm

BobbyD wrote:Assuming they actually update the text, rather than just putting a new date on the publication page it appears to be a quirk of the publisher.

The same ISBN covers all these Rother Corsica books from 2002 to 2016: It appears to be a quirk of the publisher with books of all release dates

Yes, it's becoming apparent that's the case. It makes it very difficult buying one second hand. The seller displays the cover of the current edition because that's what comes up in a search of the ISBN. But the one they're actually selling is an older one - different number or walks and pages, different cover and (crucially for me) no GPS download.

Scott.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » October 12th, 2021, 6:48 pm

swill453 wrote:
BobbyD wrote:Assuming they actually update the text, rather than just putting a new date on the publication page it appears to be a quirk of the publisher.

Yes, it's becoming apparent that's the case. It makes it very difficult buying one second hand. The seller displays the cover of the current edition because that's what comes up in a search of the ISBN. But the one they're actually selling is an older one - different number or walks and pages, different cover and (crucially for me) no GPS download.

Scott.

Looks like you'll have to use publication date, atheist if that is misstated you should be in for an automatic refund if you buy from somewhere with half decent purchaser protection, and since its not worth them covering return postage, a free book. Just dig out the publication date of the Most recent copy on a bookshop Web page and look for that.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 12th, 2021, 6:55 pm

BobbyD wrote:Looks like you'll have to use publication date, atheist if that is misstated you should be in for an automatic refund if you buy from somewhere with half decent purchaser protection, and since its not worth them covering return postage, a free book. Just dig out the publication date of the Most recent copy on a bookshop Web page and look for that.

Yes I'd hope for a refund without too much of an issue. Their catalogue showed the latest cover, publication date, number of pages etc.

What they sent me was a 2001 1st edition with different cover, publication date and number of pages. Just the same ISBN though!

Scott.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » October 12th, 2021, 6:59 pm

swill453 wrote:
BobbyD wrote:Looks like you'll have to use publication date, atheist if that is misstated you should be in for an automatic refund if you buy from somewhere with half decent purchaser protection, and since its not worth them covering return postage, a free book. Just dig out the publication date of the Most recent copy on a bookshop Web page and look for that.

Yes I'd hope for a refund without too much of an issue. Their catalogue showed the latest cover, publication date, number of pages etc.

What they sent me was a 2001 1st edition with different cover, publication date and number of pages. Just the same ISBN though!

Scott.

Fault is obvious, though sort of understandable. Generally a quick polite email explaining their mistake, and a photo results in quick reimbursement.

Maybe look for a seller who is advertising both the most recent edition, and an edition with an older publication date? ...or email the seller to confirm the publication date, explaining the possible cause of confusion so they don't just look at the computer record? A quick eyes on check should solve the problem, and you have a nice email showing that you very explicitly bought the latest version not a previously dated one.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 12th, 2021, 7:02 pm

BobbyD wrote:Fault is obvious, though sort of understandable. Generally a quick polite email explaining their mistake, and a photo results in quick reimbursement.

Yes I requested a return/refund. They responded by asking me for the ISBN. I'm just arming myself with information for potential next steps.

Scott.

Return to “Does anyone know?”