Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Another weird message, probably scam

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Another weird message, probably scam

Postby Bouleversee » November 11th, 2021, 7:02 pm

Has anyone else had this one? Today I received an email from Digital Look notifying me of share purchases by the CEO and Group F.D. of Oxford Instruments (in which I am a shareholder) under their share incentive plan. Superimposed on this was a pink rectangle containing a message on the lines of the following: "We think this message is spam. We still put it in your inbox as the sender is in your contact list. Goes on to tell me to click on either "remove sender and mark as spam" or "it's safe". It doesn't say who that message is from but I suspect a scammer and did neither. However, in order to read the whole message (Yahoo won't show the whole message unless I remove Adblocker but I get round this by pressing reply, then it shows up the whole line; hope they are not reading this!) I had clicked on the reply button. I don't know whether that is tantamount to clicking their boxes and that facilitates hacking or whatever. I had also thought of replying in order to alert Digital Look to a possible scam till that thought occurred to me.

If there are any other Ox. Inst. shareholders on here, I should be interested to know whether you received a similar message. Or has anyone received a similar message re other holdings? This is not the first time this has happened re Ox. Inst. but I haven't had any similar messages re any other companies in which I hold shares directly. I don't think I posted on here last time it happened but I sent a message to Ox. Ins. to which I had no response. Makes me wonder if this is peculiar to me and my email account has already been hacked. Any advice or suggestions?

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Re: Another weird message, probably scam

Postby Midsmartin » November 11th, 2021, 7:16 pm

It sounds as though digital look have sent you an email, and Yahoo thinks it looks like an automated junk email. They are trying to filter out all the unwanted newslettets and the like.

I would keep the message temporarily and inspect the sender more. Or just delete it.

Receiving junk mail id not often a sign that anything has been hacked, though it could be I suppose.

Are you signed up to digitial look. Have you used then to look up this company? I know nothing about them.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » November 11th, 2021, 11:20 pm

Yes, I have a portfolio of certificated shares listed on DL which includes Oxford Instruments. I don't see why Yahoo should think it was spam. There is an announcement of this share uptake on their website today and almost certainly on the LSE website. Why would they ask me to click on a link in that box instead of just reporting it as spam in the usual way or just deleting it, which is what I did last time. It's apparently quite easy to clone company headings and messages and I would never click on links in the body of an email but I wondered whether just pressing the reply button might have the same effect. With so many frauds being reported, I am getting rather nervous.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 12th, 2021, 9:44 pm

DigitalLook were terrible. I once discovered that you could log in to any account just by giving the correct username. The password was ignored. One hopes this has been cleared up by now. To my shame I ventured a few Motley Fool's usernames in and managed to log in and even see a few home addresses. Scandalous really, both on their part and mine. C.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 12th, 2021, 10:38 pm

csearle wrote:DigitalLook were terrible. I once discovered that you could log in to any account just by giving the correct username. The password was ignored. One hopes this has been cleared up by now. To my shame I ventured a few Motley Fool's usernames in and managed to log in and even see a few home addresses. Scandalous really, both on their part and mine. C.

Oops!

Now that you mention it... long, long ago it might have been DL (can't exactly remember now) that made an error in a mass emailing that emailed their database of user's email addresses out to all their users. Only time I ended up being spammed on my email address for a couple of years.

BTW, Digital Look seems to still be around - has it been resurrected? Just logged in...

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 12th, 2021, 10:58 pm

XFool wrote:BTW, Digital Look seems to still be around - has it been resurrected? Just logged in...
So it has! I just successfully logged in too. I then tried logging in using a random password and it rejected me. Seems like they are actually using the password these days. :) C.

Return to “Does anyone know?”