Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Safety of microwave with slight damage

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Safety of microwave with slight damage

Postby Clariman » November 14th, 2021, 8:17 am

Have just discovered that the microwave in our holiday let is damaged. The bottom of the door inside - the bit below the glass - has the after effects of some melting but otherwise solid. I think a very hot liquid has probably spilled over.

My natural inclination is to replace it immediately but might it still be safe?

Thanks
Clariman

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Safety of microwave with slight damage

Postby servodude » November 14th, 2021, 8:23 am

Clariman wrote:Have just discovered that the microwave in our holiday let is damaged. The bottom of the door inside - the bit below the glass - has the after effects of some melting but otherwise solid. I think a very hot liquid has probably spilled over.

My natural inclination is to replace it immediately but might it still be safe?

Thanks
Clariman

I'm assuming that the paint/enamel has scalded/blistered off?

It will be fine (just remove any flakes)
- it will still work as a Faraday cage as long as the mesh in the window is there
place a mars bar outside the next time you're using it and watch it not melt (central heating effects notwithstanding :) )

I'd only replace it if it looks like it would attract a negative review from an occupant

-sd

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 14th, 2021, 10:01 am

servodude wrote:I'd only replace it if it looks like it would attract a negative review from an occupant

-sd

I would certainly be unhappy with a partially melted microwave in a holiday let - do I trust the word of the person letting that it is safe or waste holiday time trying to check or disrupt the holiday by not using it.

And given that a new microwave would cost less than £50, if the person letting has been so ‘cheap’ as not to replace an obviously damaged item, I would be thinking where else have they cut corners.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 14th, 2021, 11:16 am

AF62 wrote:And given that a new microwave would cost less than £50, if the person letting has been so ‘cheap’ as not to replace an obviously damaged item, I would be thinking where else have they cut corners.

Fair point. I doubt that they'd have a radiation monitor with them in the back of the car, so they'd be relying totally on what the owner told them. I presume that Clariman can set down the cost against tax?

BJ

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 14th, 2021, 12:40 pm

Thanks everyone. We are replacing it because we won't take the risk. What is a shame is that it will probably end up in landfill as will the leaking kettle and dented toaster which we have already disposed of.

All working but potentially risky.

:roll:

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » November 14th, 2021, 1:13 pm

Clariman wrote:Thanks everyone. We are replacing it because we won't take the risk. What is a shame is that it will probably end up in landfill as will the leaking kettle and dented toaster which we have already disposed of.

Do you ever wonder whether your tenants are this careless at home?

Watis

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 14th, 2021, 1:25 pm

Watis wrote:
Clariman wrote:Thanks everyone. We are replacing it because we won't take the risk. What is a shame is that it will probably end up in landfill as will the leaking kettle and dented toaster which we have already disposed of.

Do you ever wonder whether your tenants are this careless at home?

Watis

Yes, frequently! Accidents happen but I just wish people would tell us so we can fix issues for the next guests. We stay in one of our holiday lets regularly but make sure we stay in the other at least once a year- usually twice. Last time we discovered the microwave wasn't working at all even though the plate turned round and it made the right noise :lol:

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 14th, 2021, 1:32 pm

Clariman wrote:Last time we discovered the microwave wasn't working at all even though the plate turned round and it made the right noise :lol:

Not much help to you I know, but that would have been a blown semiconductor diode used in the voltage doubler circuit. It usually is, 99.99% of the time.

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » November 14th, 2021, 2:02 pm

If you think it's working fine, then you may be able to give it away on on Freecycle or a local Facebook group, rather than sending or to landfill

Return to “Does anyone know?”