Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

She said yes! But now I have a slight problem...

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
doug2500
Lemon Slice

Re: She said yes! But now I have a slight problem...

Postby doug2500 » November 16th, 2021, 8:51 pm

I bought off the peg (Austin Reed, now deceased) and got local tailor to tweak it. Maybe the best of both worlds?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 16th, 2021, 9:43 pm

Is Harry Fenton still going ?
Probably not...
https://www.retrowow.co.uk/retro_britai ... chains.php

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » November 16th, 2021, 11:01 pm

Re suits.
I once bought one from a store in Liverpool, circa 1982. A good suit, well cut and a very decent price.
I’ve just run a search for the Company. I didn’t honestly think it’d still be in existence, or even remembered.
Well, I came across a photo of the Sheffield branch: http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forum ... 640cc9.jpg

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 17th, 2021, 5:46 am

GrahamPlatt wrote:Re suits.
Well, I came across a photo of the Sheffield branch: http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forum ... 640cc9.jpg

The only surprise there is that the prices in the window aren't in £ s d :lol:

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » November 17th, 2021, 9:32 am

AF62 wrote:
But then you try to buy from their website. Sure they have a wide range advertised, but only when you go to actually buy do they reveal they don’t have any stock in the size you need - why is it so damned impossible for them to have their website so you enter the sizes you want and then they only display the items they have in stock in the sizes you need.

https://www.marksandspencer.com/l/men/mens-suits

Then click on "size"

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 17th, 2021, 10:12 am

dealtn wrote:
AF62 wrote:
But then you try to buy from their website. Sure they have a wide range advertised, but only when you go to actually buy do they reveal they don’t have any stock in the size you need - why is it so damned impossible for them to have their website so you enter the sizes you want and then they only display the items they have in stock in the sizes you need.

Then click on "size"

If we're doing links, for some reason, I can imagine TR in something along the lines of https://www.asos.com/au/twisted-tailor/twisted-tailor-navarrette-skinny-suit-pants-in-burgundy-with-gold-snakeskin-jacquard/prd/201087045 most herpetological

-sd

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 17th, 2021, 10:59 am

dealtn wrote:
AF62 wrote:

Then click on "size"

No, that only tells you what they theoretically sell in those sizes, not that they actually have any stock in that size.

For example - https://www.marksandspencer.com/l/men/m ... e=90%2C380 which is selecting 'Men's Tuxedos' and size 38. However if you now select the Black Slim Fit Textured Dinner Suit (https://www.marksandspencer.com/black-t ... d347be21d6) you will see they don't actually have any trousers in size 38.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » November 17th, 2021, 11:12 am

tonyreptiles wrote:I could have a great day trailing around Oxford checking out Moss Bros and M&S, and might even go to Reading to visit Slaters.

Another option - perhaps in the early, "research" phase when you're just trying to get a feel for what works for you and what doesn't - might be Bicester Village? I've never been, but those kind of outlet places usually have some of the big European brands like Hugo Boss which will give you an idea of what "high-end European off-the-peg" feels like. They have some nice ties but their suits are not particularly my thing, some people like them. (and some of those people aren't even in the Waffen-SS...) And Mrs-Reptiles-to-be will probably like the day at Bicester Village.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 17th, 2021, 11:18 am

I haven't been for a few years, but Bicester Village is a nice place to spend a few hours

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 17th, 2021, 12:47 pm

Hopefully nicer than Bluewater/Merry Hill etc...

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 17th, 2021, 12:51 pm

It's all outdoors
so lovely if on sunny day :)

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » November 18th, 2021, 8:20 am

AF62 wrote:
dealtn wrote:
AF62 wrote:

Then click on "size"

No, that only tells you what they theoretically sell in those sizes, not that they actually have any stock in that size.

For example - https://www.marksandspencer.com/l/men/m ... e=90%2C380 which is selecting 'Men's Tuxedos' and size 38. However if you now select the Black Slim Fit Textured Dinner Suit (https://www.marksandspencer.com/black-t ... d347be21d6) you will see they don't actually have any trousers in size 38.

Agreed, because a suit is 2 items, and their filter only has an option for 1 size - which is for the jacket.

tonyreptiles
2 Lemon pips

Postby tonyreptiles » November 20th, 2021, 2:54 pm

If we're doing links, for some reason, I can imagine TR in something along the lines of https://www.asos.com/au/twisted-tailor/twisted-tailor-navarrette-skinny-suit-pants-in-burgundy-with-gold-snakeskin-jacquard/prd/201087045 most herpetological

-sd

Now then!
That's a contender!

:-)

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 20th, 2021, 2:57 pm

looks like if touched his toes it would rip :lol:

tonyreptiles
2 Lemon pips

Postby tonyreptiles » November 20th, 2021, 2:59 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:
tonyreptiles wrote:I could have a great day trailing around Oxford checking out Moss Bros and M&S, and might even go to Reading to visit Slaters.

Another option - perhaps in the early, "research" phase when you're just trying to get a feel for what works for you and what doesn't - might be Bicester Village? I've never been, but those kind of outlet places usually have some of the big European brands like Hugo Boss which will give you an idea of what "high-end European off-the-peg" feels like. They have some nice ties but their suits are not particularly my thing, some people like them. (and some of those people aren't even in the Waffen-SS...) And Mrs-Reptiles-to-be will probably like the day at Bicester Village.

That looks like a great place to start, and just down the road from us. We've only been moored here for a couple of weeks so had no idea this place existed.

Looks like it could be a one stop shop for weddings and Xmas shopping.

Nice one Hal - Much appreciated.

Tony

tonyreptiles
2 Lemon pips

Postby tonyreptiles » November 20th, 2021, 3:03 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Hopefully nicer than Bluewater/Merry Hill etc...

Ha ha! Merry Hell.
I was dragged up in Wednesbury and made the mistake of returning to the Black Country to take up a gym manager job at a healthclub in the Merry Hell Centre.

I was employed for less than a month before it became obvious that working with my manager was not going to work. He told me what he thought of me and I returned the favour. Then he convinced the general manager to sack me.

A couple of months later the GM called me to ask me to come back and fill the gap left when he fired my manager.
I laughed and laughed and laughed some more.

Merry Hell. Such an apt misnomer in so many ways.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » November 20th, 2021, 4:08 pm

I've been trying to buy a suit off the shelf for a while. I'm slim, tallish, standard size but can I get what I want? No way. The problem is the jackets are so short exposing the backside to a ridiculous degree; they are made that way apparently and as the shop assistant said "that's the fashion sir". Looks as though I'm having to get one made to measure but here in slepy Devon that's not so easy.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » November 20th, 2021, 4:51 pm

tonyreptiles wrote:That looks like a great place to start, and just down the road from us. We've only been moored here for a couple of weeks so had no idea this place existed.

Just be aware that 90% of people within a 30-mile radius will also be using it for Christmas shopping; I imagine parking is a living hell at weekends at this time of year. If you're local then going Mon-Wed evenings will be a lot better for your sanity.

As I say, I've not been to BV, but based on other outlets, you'll probably find it's a bit hit and miss, they can be great for some things, and frustrating for others.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » November 20th, 2021, 7:48 pm

Mike88 wrote: The problem is the jackets are so short exposing the backside to a ridiculous degree; they are made that way apparently and as the shop assistant said "that's the fashion sir".

I think the shop assistant missed a trick. Sounds like an opportunity to sell some trousers...

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 20th, 2021, 8:24 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:
tonyreptiles wrote:That looks like a great place to start, and just down the road from us. We've only been moored here for a couple of weeks so had no idea this place existed.

Just be aware that 90% of people within a 30-mile radius will also be using it for Christmas shopping; I imagine parking is a living hell at weekends at this time of year. If you're local then going Mon-Wed evenings will be a lot better for your sanity.

As I say, I've not been to BV, but based on other outlets, you'll probably find it's a bit hit and miss, they can be great for some things, and frustrating for others.

There's a train service from Oxford to Bicester Village, takes about 15 minutes. I think it goes via the Oxford park and ride, but it's all a bit new

Return to “Does anyone know?”