Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Flu jabs in pharmacies - who does them?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Flu jabs in pharmacies - who does them?

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 22nd, 2021, 10:34 pm

I'm trying to get a 'flu jab but my local health centre doesn't have any until early December and I've had no luck getting through on the phone to book anyway. I'm looking at booking in one of the local pharmacies but...
Who actually does the injection ? Do trained staff turn up and run the sessions or do some of the pharmacy staff get an 'injecting people' certificate?
I've had problems getting some of them to follow basic maths, so I don't want to end up full of air bubbles or hepatitis because they got a bit confused.
My three Covid jabs were obviously administered by medical professionals, despite the makeshift environment (at least one was a real doctor!)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Flu jabs in pharmacies - who does them?

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 22nd, 2021, 10:54 pm

I had mine done in Boots last year. Just walked in, asked, and they did it. On the other hand, this year they said I'd have to book, and my regular GP (who had been without supply last year) could do it quicker.

Pharmacists are qualified medics. I'm sure whoever does it there is just as qualified as the nurse who'd do it at your GP.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » November 22nd, 2021, 10:57 pm

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » November 22nd, 2021, 11:18 pm

The pharmacist who does my injections comes across as much more competent than the surgery staff.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 22nd, 2021, 11:24 pm

The pharmacist would be OK, just worried about the staff doing it !

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » November 23rd, 2021, 12:19 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:The pharmacist would be OK, just worried about the staff doing it !

Wouldn't that be illegal? I don't think staff can "have a go" at it.. ;)

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 23rd, 2021, 4:01 am

just remember, everyone has to "have their first go"
just don't think about that the next time you are on an aeroplane :)
or worse still, on a hospital operating table :lol:

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » November 23rd, 2021, 8:18 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:The pharmacist would be OK, just worried about the staff doing it !

I can't imagine the lady on the checkout or the part time cleaner being roped in to administer injections.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 23rd, 2021, 8:45 am

pje16 wrote:just remember, everyone has to "have their first go"

Oh god, yes. I once had a blood test done in a hospital by a nurse who was on her first morning of training. She failed four times to find the vein, and then she put the needle through a nerve and waggled it about. At which point I yelled so loudly that her supervisor stepped in and took over.

Don't let me put you off the injection, though. ;) I've had many in-store flu jabs from Boots, and they've always been painless and professional - and less time-pressured than at my local surgery, where they hardly give you time to sit down. BTW, do give yourself some time to settle afterwards, especially if you're driving home.

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 23rd, 2021, 9:02 am

It would usually be the pharmacist but any trained pharmacy technician would be able to do it.

An IM vaccine jab is a very easy thing to do, unlike taking blood from a vein which takes a certain amount of experience and skill to master.

Mrs RS (a pharmacist) has administered many flu and covid jabs and has just recently been on a half a day training course to learn how to take blood samples.

I think I will probably be roped in to be her first patient!

John

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 23rd, 2021, 9:18 am

redsturgeon wrote:has just recently been on a half a day training course to learn how to take blood samples

By Thor's Hammer I hope they took it more seriously than our half day fire warden training (though using a fire extinguisher on a real fire in a shipping container posing as a burning office was quite memorable - and loud)
:)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 23rd, 2021, 9:36 am

servodude wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:has just recently been on a half a day training course to learn how to take blood samples

By Thor's Hammer I hope they took it more seriously than our half day fire warden training (though using a fire extinguisher on a real fire in a shipping container posing as a burning office was quite memorable - and loud)
:)

Actually she said there was a lot of filler and it could have been done in a couple of hours!

As I said though the theory is simple but the execution takes practise. Wish me luck!

John

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 23rd, 2021, 9:43 am

redsturgeon wrote:Actually she said there was a lot of filler and it could have been done in a couple of hours!

Filler? What is this, a blood sample or plastic surgery? And anyway, what's this about an execution?
:shock:
BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 23rd, 2021, 9:48 am

bungeejumper wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Actually she said there was a lot of filler and it could have been done in a couple of hours!

Filler? What is this, a blood sample or plastic surgery? And anyway, what's this about an execution?
BJ

Preparing for the worst!

John

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 23rd, 2021, 9:50 am

Mike88 wrote:

I can't imagine the lady on the checkout or the part time cleaner being roped in to administer injections.

Well, you see... I can

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 23rd, 2021, 9:51 am

redsturgeon wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:

BJ

Preparing for the worst!

John

A sausage injection?
Nurse!!!

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 23rd, 2021, 9:56 am

Hospitals were so much better when Hattie Jacques was matron. And James Robertson Justice was the senior consultant

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » November 23rd, 2021, 10:02 am

bungeejumper wrote:

Oh god, yes. I once had a blood test done in a hospital by a nurse who was on her first morning of training. She failed four times to find the vein, and then she put the needle through a nerve and waggled it about. At which point I yelled so loudly that her supervisor stepped in and took over.

Don't let me put you off the injection, though. ;) I've had many in-store flu jabs from Boots, and they've always been painless and professional - and less time-pressured than at my local surgery, where they hardly give you time to sit down. BTW, do give yourself some time to settle afterwards, especially if you're driving home.

BJ

My other half, the expert in our household letting medical staff insert lines (type one diabetic) , swears that procuring an older nurse for the process is a far preferable process to a junior doctor, she once had an arm that looked liked a pincushion after a doctor endeavoured to find the correct spot.

My solution is just to avoid hospitals (and doctors) as much as is possible.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 23rd, 2021, 10:17 am

Charlottesquare wrote:My other half, the expert in our household letting medical staff insert lines (type one diabetic) , swears that procuring an older nurse for the process is a far preferable process to a junior doctor.

Ah yes, back in the day, I dated several nurses. Was never tempted to try and procure one, though. :D

Willie Rushton, I think? "A dose of the tincture, and then the good doctor must get his locum in." :lol:

BJ

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 23rd, 2021, 1:44 pm

bungeejumper wrote:

BJ

That reminds me of a dentist trip in California about 15 years ago - yes it still lives with me - read on
The injection he gave me caused pain like I had never felt before and the job made my feet leave the chair
I was asked if I would like a magazine to read while the jab took effect
They didn't realise I couldn't see for about 3 mins except for stars floating in front of my eyes (like a Tom & Jerry Cartoon)
The ham fisted dentist had hit a nerve
I found out a year or so later frrm a MUCH better dentist when I was back in the UK that the nerve oncerned in my mouth lies in a differwnt place to most people (She remains my dentist to this day)

Return to “Does anyone know?”