Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

What is gainfully self-employed / minimum income floor ?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Daytona

What is gainfully self-employed / minimum income floor ?

Postby Daytona » November 25th, 2021, 11:09 am

I claimed Universal Credit back in March (I realise I should have claimed earlier). I’ve received a letter about the MIF being applied to gainful self employment and would like to know where I stand.

After a career in IT many years ago, I paid off the mortgage and now work as a petcarer which I love. I only need ~£6000 to live off and have no wish to work full time.

I’ve been badly affected by Covid so currently earn ~£2000pa

Have I understood correctly that UC expects me to work 40hours a week at the minimum wage (£18,000pa)?

(Also I have been unable to claim my personal pension as they changed the rules – I can now access it in 18 months at age 55)

Does anyone know what is likely to happen ?

Thanks for any help getting my head around this

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: What is gainfully self-employed / minimum income floor ?

Postby csearle » November 25th, 2021, 10:41 pm

According to this site...
The date the MIF due to start again varies depending on when you started your Universal Credit claim, as follows:

● After 1 August 2021 – the 12-month grace period applies from the date you claim UC.

● During pandemic (14 March 2020 – 31 July 2021) – the 12-month grace period applies from 1 August 2021.

● Before the pandemic (13 March 2020):
- if you were in your 12-month start-up grace period the time remaining is carried over (eg, if you had used 8 months your MIF will be reintroduced after 4 months).

- if you were not in a 12-month start-up grace period the MIF will be reintroduced from the assessment period immediately after the assessment period your work coach spoke to you about the MIF reinstatement. You will however be exempt from having to search for, or take up any other employment, allowing you to concentrate on your business. The DWP has confirmed that people in this group will begin to be impacted by the reintroduction of the MIF from mid-September 2021.

So if, as you say, you started your UC claim in March then my reading of this is that because of the one year grace period the Minimum Income Floor won't kick in until 1 August 2022.

Chris
(Please note I don't really know what I'm talking about, just getting this from the above website. If you don't get any luck here you could try the Citizen's Advice Bureau maybe?)

Return to “Does anyone know?”