Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Alternative independent news sites to BBC News

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Alternative independent news sites to BBC News

Postby Lootman » December 12th, 2021, 2:54 pm

AF62 wrote:
Clariman wrote:DAK of any good online news sites that are broadly impartial, other than BBC News?

My reason for asking the question: I have increasingly found the BBC News website a bit bland and would like an alternative to supplement it.

The problem is that to deliver impartial news it is either bland so it doesn’t upset anyone or there are a mixture of pieces with each setting out a different point of view.

The trouble with the latter approach is those who seek to be offended and look for bias only see the pieces that disagree with their viewpoint and ignore the others, and so call ‘biased reporting’.

The only realistic way to achieve a balance is to read a wide variety of news sources, both those who’s viewpoint you might agree with and those you find obnoxious, and then somewhere in between the truth might exist.

Or to express it another way, do most people really want "unbiased" news? I suspect what they really seek is a source whose biases are similar to their own, thereby providing a comfortable read.

So if someone claims that, for example, The Guardian is unbiased but the Telegraph is biased, then that immediately tells me more about the utterer than it does about those two sources.

But there is another factor as well. I dislike The Guardian but do look at it anyway, partly to know what the enemy is thinking. It makes me aware of possible threats to my welfare and prosperity. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Re: Alternative independent news sites to BBC News

Postby Clariman » December 12th, 2021, 4:34 pm

Thanks everyone. I posted this on DAK because I was looking for straightforward recommendations, rather than to start a discussion about the biases of media sites. However, I take the point that one of the reasons I may find BBC News "bland" is down to its attempting to be unbiased.

Having had some good suggestions worthy of investigation, I shall lock the topic. Thanks again.

Clariman

Return to “Does anyone know?”