Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Pseudo Latin

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
XFool
The full Lemon

Pseudo Latin

Postby XFool » December 23rd, 2021, 1:43 pm

Copied from the Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics thread:

Mike4 wrote:
NotSure wrote:webtran.eu does even worse:

Lorem very carrots, tomato undergraduate developer. Maecenas laoreet neque football is the price of the employee. Tomorrow element, Reserved football real estate author, clinical players sad great, football basketball sapien ugly was not. But mourning or otherwise, but the poisonous region set. Until free fear, photography who lakes chocolate, developers some trigger. Until my salad, element carrots, my but, Performance hairstyle salad. The therapy nibh, chocolate that deck a, some Performance is. But the employee quiver of free, and airline propaganda skirt football. No sapien arc, said and arrows and drink or ugly. In Vulputate, developer or feugiat laoreet, ugly before tomato mauris, and the congue or pot id before.

It's all Greek to me...

(Or perhaps I mean latin.)

N.B. The above quoted text is a 'translation' of apparent Latin text.

I have come across this sort of thing before - on websites. I realise it is a placeholder text for a site under development, but why Latin? Or rather, why pseudo Latin? Why not just random English words? Is it because that would produce more confused people, more queries, more complaints? But using nonsense Latin means many people would just assume it is Latin and pass on by? (But then, why wouldn't they wonder why it is in 'Latin' ?)

Is this just a 'thing' amongst web developers? Or is there some particular web developer software that has this built in as a feature?

Anyone know the answer?

TIA

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Re: Pseudo Latin

Postby NotSure » December 23rd, 2021, 1:56 pm

Bit of info here: https://loremipsum.io/

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 23rd, 2021, 2:27 pm

NotSure wrote:Bit of info here: https://loremipsum.io/

Great link, thank you!

I just KNEW I'd seen the 'lorum ipsum' blocks of text way back before 'desktop design' became a thing on computers and your link solves the mystery, it was on those Letraset sheets we used at skool to do 'proper printing'. Anyone else remember those?

Also, towards the end of the link there are several lorem ipsum rubbish generators you can use to add context to yours. "Bacon ipsum" for example, makes you some meat-oriented gobbledegook:

"Consequat meatball drumstick ipsum tri-tip beef chuck tempor picanha pork fatback. Pancetta jerky officia prosciutto. Chislic burgdoggen reprehenderit spare ribs, bresaola nisi exercitation prosciutto. Buffalo sunt venison ut incididunt.

Ex veniam minim laboris ground round in buffalo pork. Excepteur nulla cupidatat drumstick ground round frankfurter lorem flank filet mignon chicken. Consequat mollit occaecat leberkas eiusmod. Pancetta kielbasa pork loin, ut pastrami veniam alcatra incididunt cow in.

Burgdoggen tenderloin spare ribs, salami aliquip adipisicing anim jowl rump shank cillum buffalo leberkas tail id. Laborum pastrami rump t-bone cillum ad alcatra. Eiusmod sausage venison mollit, filet mignon ut boudin labore laborum enim et in prosciutto adipisicing. Veniam shank swine fugiat ut leberkas duis drumstick nisi. Est officia meatloaf prosciutto in ex salami porchetta venison ribeye adipisicing. Flank enim consectetur rump pig ullamco, velit in shank ut ex cow
."

There are other generators including legal lorum and corporat lorum.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 23rd, 2021, 2:51 pm

Apparently lorum ipsum was originally derived from a real text...

Lorem ipsum is typically a corrupted version of De finibus bonorum et malorum, a 1st-century BC text by the Roman statesman and philosopher Cicero, with words altered, added, and removed to make it nonsensical and improper Latin.

Versions of the Lorem ipsum text have been used in typesetting at least since the 1960s, when it was popularized by advertisements for Letraset transfer sheets.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 23rd, 2021, 3:01 pm

NotSure wrote:Bit of info here: https://loremipsum.io/

OK, thanks. My guess was correct then.

Explanations: As usual, after actually posting a question I start coming up with my own answers.

Assuming the above - which turns out to be the case - then why 'Latin' and not random English words? I assume because it might be too risky, particularly in our current world, an accidental combination of random English words is almost bound to produce the odd phrase here and there which will offend somebody. Use a foreign language? Which one? Anyway, that just 'off-shores' the offence! So use a language which no national currently uses, 'Latin'.

Anybody who manages to be "offended" by pseudo Latin has only themselves to blame by electing to use an online 'translation'. Plus, from the link above, the use of text like this has a long history in typesetting.

Thanks for the answer NotSure.

Return to “Does anyone know?”