Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Who decides what should go into Spam?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Re: Who decides what should go into Spam?

Postby Bouleversee » January 9th, 2022, 10:50 pm

Stompa wrote:
Lootman wrote:None of that will get around the OP's problem if the source (Yahoo) is still the conduit.

I guess it probably would if you were to disable the spam filter in Yahoo.
Which it seems can be done, though in a slightly convoluted way:

https://c-command.com/spamsieve/help/tu ... he-yahoo-m

Stop the world; I want to get off!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 9th, 2022, 10:51 pm

Stompa wrote:
Lootman wrote:None of that will get around the OP's problem if the source (Yahoo) is still the conduit.

Been a while since I checked but I don't remember there being any need to (I've set it up for a couple of oldies who migrated to the Gempire)
- it seems the Gmail pull coalesces all "folders" shown under IMAP and then parses them as if they had been received afresh
- I don't even recall it labelling them (it famously doesn't use folders) but it might do; in which case disabling the filter as shown would remove that unnecessary annotation

There are different "tiers" of Yahoo-ism so it's possible that paid for/enterprise accounts allow you to restrict those parts accessible over IMAP - in which case you'd need to point them to the right place (or disable the spam checking)

It's really rewarding to watch an oldie go from trying to read their email on a phone browser with popups, banners, fake advertising emails and 24 pitch font - to using a proper app

- sd

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 9th, 2022, 10:54 pm

Stompa wrote:

Stop the world. I want to get off!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 9th, 2022, 10:58 pm

servodude wrote:
Stompa wrote:

Been a while since I checked but I don't remember there being any need to

You are missing the point. You cannot leave the Yahoo ecosphere merely by forwarding your emails, no matter how smart the recipient is. You are still reliant on Yahoo being faithful about the forwarding.

When I leave home I try and remember to forward my home phone to my mobile phone. That works great but if my home phone were to fail then I will still not get the calls and texts.

The only way I get rid of my dependency upon Yahoo not being morons is to disassociate from Yahoo, and that means changing the Yahoo email address I have had for over 20 years, in my own name, which hundreds of contacts have for me.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 9th, 2022, 11:45 pm

Lootman wrote:The only way I get rid of my dependency upon Yahoo not being morons is to disassociate from Yahoo, and that means changing the Yahoo email address I have had for over 20 years, in my own name, which hundreds of contacts have for me.
I feel you pain. I had my email address with the Institute of Electrical Engineers for [expletive deleted] ages. It was before email actually was a thing. I think I was allocated with an email address on a thing called JANET, which predated email as we know it. Either late seventies or early eighties.

Then one day 30 or so years later the bloody noodles (to put it as politely as I know how) just said one day, "we are withdrawing this service". I had about two weeks' notice after all those decades that my beloved email address (csearle@iee.org) would no longer be available to me.

It was a complete [expletive deleted] nightmare.

I was shut out of myriad online accounts because to change the password was only possible via the email to which I had no further access, overnight.

I had to re-build my life over time. It was a colossal nightmare. In order to never be held to ransom by such an unprofessional bunch as the IEE (now IET) again I decided to hire a domain and use email with that. In this way I can take my service provision anywhere I like and retain my email address. So long as I keep paying for my domain I am completely independent of email provider.

Take my advice. Plan ahead. List ALL the people, accounts, firms etc. involved and migrate away in a controlled fashion in your timescale - regardless of the pain.

All the very best,
Chris

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 10th, 2022, 12:05 am

csearle wrote:
Lootman wrote:The only way I get rid of my dependency upon Yahoo not being morons is to disassociate from Yahoo, and that means changing the Yahoo email address I have had for over 20 years, in my own name, which hundreds of contacts have for me.
I feel you pain. I had my email address with the Institute of Electrical Engineers for wombling ages. It was before email actually was a thing. I think I was allocated with an email address on a thing called JANET, which predated email as we know it. Either late seventies or early eighties.

Then one day 30 or so years later the bloody noodles (to put it as politely as I know how) just said one day, "we are withdrawing this service". I had about two weeks' notice after all those decades that my beloved email address (csearle@iee.org) would no longer be available to me.

It was a complete wombling nightmare.

I was shut out of myriad online accounts because to change the password was only possible via the email to which I had no further access, overnight.

I had to re-build my life over time. It was a colossal nightmare. In order to never be held to ransom by such an unprofessional bunch as the IEE (now IET) again I decided to hire a domain and use email with that. In this way I can take my service provision anywhere I like and retain my email address. So long as I keep paying for my domain I am completely independent of email provider.

Take my advice. Plan ahead. List ALL the people, accounts, firms etc. involved and migrate away in a controlled fashion in your timescale - regardless of the pain.

All the very best,
Chris

You too?

What made it a right kick in the moofer was that the whole point of the ieee email was to consolidate things :roll:
- that's how it was pushed to eng students in the days when emails would be cryptic and based on enrollment/matric info (SuperJANET by the time I'd appeared on it)
I used mine for over a decade - 4 unis and my first real job
Just before they pulled it there was some kind of prototype "linked in" style thing that appeared around then (you could push your address book online - but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called) and that was the email I had used for it
- so the "change of address" stuff geometrically expanded

For what's meant to be a tech savy organisation there's so much pain involved in anything to do with the IET

- sd

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 10th, 2022, 9:04 am

csearle wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Yeah I grabbed my own surname for my personal domain name back in the last century!
I do believe you are the only Mr Theboilerman in the country¹. C.

¹ Unless you have sons.

Curiously my surname is not actually Theboilerman, you may be interested to learn.

Equally curiously, it took until about 5 years ago for someone else to pop up using the same trading name as me and (I suspect) relying on my own good reputation. Basically, I now have a doppel in Liverpool who has taken my trading name and put "Ltd" on the end. This IS a minor irritation as he is not that good. I know he is not that good or reliable because I get the occasional email and/or phone call from his customers who have googled his contact details and in error, found mine instead, and are calling to complain about his no-show or leaks. More recently though I think he subcontracts mostly for an insurance firm. I know this because they too have assumed I am he, and they send me weekly payment schedules of their payments to him! Lol!

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 10th, 2022, 10:10 am

csearle wrote:Take my advice. Plan ahead. List ALL the people, accounts, firms etc. involved and migrate away in a controlled fashion in your timescale - regardless of the pain.

When I changed email accounts I sat down and changed the address of everything I could vaguely thing could possibly have my email address and went in to change it.

I then forwarded my old email account to the new one (Gmail), but then set a filter to flag anything that came in via the old account so could then see those people or organisations were still using the old email address and then take steps to change the address.

I left both in operation like this for a year to make sure that almost everything (I knew I wouldn't capture everything) would have the address changed.

A benefit with Gmail and Yahoo email accounts is that they never release your username for reuse if you delete the account. However... If you buy a domain name and stop using it then whoever buys it next will receive emails from anyone where you didn't change the email address - perhaps something to think about for whoever is dealing with your affairs after you leave this world.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 11th, 2022, 12:24 am

I now can't get into my emails without accepting Yahoo's cookies etc. This now comes up every time I click on my email inbox:

Your data. Your experience.
Yahoo is part of the Yahoo family of brands.

By clicking "Accept all" you agree that Yahoo and our partners will store and/or access information on your device through the use of cookies and similar technologies and process your personal data, to display personalised ads and content, for ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development.

Yahoo will analyse your incoming commercial emails to personalise your ads and content. Commercial emails are structured messages from retailers and other organisations. We do not analyse emails from individuals like your friends and family.

Your personal data that may be used
Information about your account, device and Internet connection, including your IP address
Browsing and search activity while using Yahoo websites and apps
Precise location
Your commercial emails
Find out more about how we use your information in our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. Click here to find out more about our partners.

To enable Yahoo and our partners to process your personal data select 'I agree', or select 'Manage settings' for more information and to manage your choices, including turning off our analysis of your commercial emails. You can change your choices at any time by visiting Your Privacy Controls.

I ignored it and went onto Lemonfool instead but I need to access my emails tomorrow and send some as well.

Lootman: Have you accepted all? I really don't have the time and patience to manage settings but I do hate all of this spying. As it is, because I have an adblocker on my account which I have refused to remove, the only way I can see the whole line on my incoming messages is to click on 'reply' but I daresay they will soon stop me doing that. Do all providers make you accept cookies now? All these problems with yahoo have started since they were taken over or merged; can't remember the details. Can one run two email accounts at the same time? It would take me ages to switch everything over and I am not sure I could do it even if I could find the time. What about all those stored emails? Too tired to even think about it now and tomorrow I really must start preparing my tax return. Perhaps I'll just have to accept their beastly cookies.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 11th, 2022, 12:37 am

Bouleversee wrote:I now can't get into my emails without accepting Yahoo's cookies etc. This now comes up every time I click on my email inbox:

Your data. Your experience.
Yahoo is part of the Yahoo family of brands.

By clicking "Accept all" you agree that Yahoo and our partners will store and/or access information on your device through the use of cookies and similar technologies and process your personal data, to display personalised ads and content, for ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development.

Yahoo will analyse your incoming commercial emails to personalise your ads and content. Commercial emails are structured messages from retailers and other organisations. We do not analyse emails from individuals like your friends and family.

Your personal data that may be used
Information about your account, device and Internet connection, including your IP address
Browsing and search activity while using Yahoo websites and apps
Precise location
Your commercial emails
Find out more about how we use your information in our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. Click here to find out more about our partners.

To enable Yahoo and our partners to process your personal data select 'I agree', or select 'Manage settings' for more information and to manage your choices, including turning off our analysis of your commercial emails. You can change your choices at any time by visiting Your Privacy Controls.

I ignored it and went onto Lemonfool instead but I need to access my emails tomorrow and send some as well.

Lootman: Have you accepted all? I really don't have the time and patience to manage settings but I do hate all of this spying. As it is, because I have an adblocker on my account which I have refused to remove, the only way I can see the whole line on my incoming messages is to click on 'reply' but I daresay they will soon stop me doing that. Do all providers make you accept cookies now? All these problems with yahoo have started since they were taken over or merged; can't remember the details. Can one run two email accounts at the same time? It would take me ages to switch everything over and I am not sure I could do it even if I could find the time. What about all those stored emails? Too tired to even think about it now and tomorrow I really must start preparing my tax return. Perhaps I'll just have to accept their beastly cookies.
Whilst I so very admire your incredible enthusiasm for staying 200% on top of all this [expletive deleted] Lorna, I can't help thinking that you would benefit from relaxing with the more important things in life. Your friend, Chris x.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 11th, 2022, 2:33 pm

Thanks, Chris. I would given half a chance. So tell me what to do now. Accept all or go through all their options and spend more time deciding which to permit? Advice on that, please. I see they say they don't read your personal emails. So what makes them put some of them into Spam, then?

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » January 11th, 2022, 2:53 pm

Just accept all. It's nothing really malicious. Nothing bad will happen! Every single provider you sign up to, for anything, and every web page you read, has pages of terms and conditions regarding cookies that nobody reads.

Or as discussed above I'm sure, access your email in a proper email client and then you won't have to see website cookie notices at all.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 11th, 2022, 3:01 pm

Midsmartin wrote:Every single provider you sign up to, for anything, and every web page you read, has pages of terms and conditions regarding cookies that nobody reads..

and this site backs that up
https://tosdr.org/
It is quite interesting to spend a few minutes on

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 11th, 2022, 3:31 pm

OK. Thanks, all.

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » January 12th, 2022, 8:00 am

Bouleversee wrote:Was it Microsoft, Avast, or Yahoo or something else who sent the 3 messages from my nephew, whom I had previously emailed and whose email address comes up as soon as I type his first name, telling me the latest news about the situation of my sister who is dangerously ill in hospital, into my Spam box? There was absolutely nothing in any of them which could possibly be construed as spam and I am absolutely livid, especially when all sorts of messages which I think are spam get into my inbox. I'd like to know who I can complain to. It's obviously down to AI but the programming needs correcting p.d.q.

A number of solutions have been suggested - and I use some of them.

But will any of them be 100% reliable at not putting any email you want into your Spam box?

Personally, I have long been in the habit of keeping an eye on my Junk folder - just in case. For me, this has proved to be a sensible precaution and only takes a second.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 12th, 2022, 8:22 am

77ss wrote:But will any of them be 100% reliable at not putting any email you want into your Spam box?

Nothing will be 100% reliable
what you are doing (like me) by checking your spam folder is the best move

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 12th, 2022, 8:43 am

I have been checking my Spam folder at frequent intervals since i discovered those important, personal emails had gone into it. None discovered since but answers to some of mine overdue. Perhaps they have gone into the adressee's inbox. :roll:

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 12th, 2022, 9:01 am

Bouleversee wrote:I have been checking my Spam folder at frequent intervals since i discovered those important, personal emails had gone into it. None discovered since but answers to some of mine overdue. Perhaps they have gone into the adressee's inbox. :roll:

I meant the addressee's Spam box, of course. :oops:

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 12th, 2022, 9:05 am

errm... you are the addressee
did you mean sender?

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 12th, 2022, 9:23 am

pje16 wrote:errm... you are the addressee
did you mean sender?

No, I meant the person (my nephew) who has not replied to my subsequent emails.

Return to “Does anyone know?”