Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Options other than Spreadsheet

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Options other than Spreadsheet

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 16th, 2022, 2:10 pm

I've been creating my own spreadsheet to analyse the "what if's" of pension planning and retirement.

Does anyone use bespoke software for this or is aware of any cost effective solutions out there please?

Thank you

AiY(D)

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Options other than Spreadsheet

Postby Urbandreamer » January 16th, 2022, 2:58 pm

Like you I use a spreadsheet.

The reason is that I can adapt it as my situation and experience changes. However I do like this online Monte Carlo simulator.
https://firecalc.com/

Aviva, my workplace pension provider, also does a calculator. Tell it what you have and it estimates how much you will get either from an annuity or if you expect to die as expected, In my case die at 89. The clear intent is that you have some info if the amount is not going to be enough.
Sadly I don't really "trust" its assumptions. Will I die by 89. What rate do they think it is safe to draw down at (they don't say). They don't consider tax or non pension funds.

To be honest, I'm not convinced that anyone can produce a "good" retirement planner. Too much info and too many guesses are required. A best guess is all that's possible and spreadsheet's are the best solution for me.

Return to “Does anyone know?”