Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Office Chairs

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Office Chairs

Postby JessUK98 » February 25th, 2022, 9:42 am

Can anyone recommend a decent office chair?
I have this one, but don’t rate it (I’d not get a gaming chair for office use again):
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9203176 ... air:3:78:1

The back support is rubbish, and you can’t alter the angle, so I always end up sitting forward or I get a variety of back/shoulder/neck type pain.
I’ve already got a foot rest and monitor arms so everything else is set up to comply with DSE recommendations. It’s just the chair that’s letting the side down.

I guess basically I’m after a chair that fits these requirements;
    Adjustable height
    Adjustable back tilt
    Armrests that you can lift up or down
    Comfortable for all day use
    Ergonomic

I’d say money is no object, but I’d rather not fork out more than about £400-£500 max unless it’s going to be the bestest chair in the world.

Thanks,

Jess

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Re: Office Chairs

Postby gryffron » February 25th, 2022, 1:19 pm

I have a lot of experience sitting in office chairs.
IMO you need one with a large FLAT/straight adjustable back. Simple is good. Spending more doesn't necessarily mean more comfort.
The very cheapest ones the back is too small and does not support you in the right place.
The ones sold as "executive" or gaming chairs invariably curve forwards/inwards. Great for lounging in but not at all suitable for sitting upright at a computer.

First hits from google (spreading their ads for them)
1 & 5 look perfect to me. 2 shows exactly what is wrong with "Executive" chairs, the angle between seat and back is wrong and the head tilted forwards.

You can always go into an actual shop and try them out ;)

Gryff

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 25th, 2022, 2:16 pm

We got a very good multiadjustable one for MrsF last year from a used/seconds Office supply place for under £100.

Pretty much as new condition, but he worked out of a couple of containers on a local industrial Estate. Been used 3 days a week more or less since March last year. Also keep an eye on Freecycle or ask on local FB groups, there are quite a few popping up as people are returning to the office and want the space back.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » February 25th, 2022, 3:05 pm

JessUK98 wrote:Can anyone recommend a decent office chair?
I have this one, but don’t rate it (I’d not get a gaming chair for office use again):

The back support is rubbish, and you can’t alter the angle, so I always end up sitting forward or I get a variety of back/shoulder/neck type pain.
I’ve already got a foot rest and monitor arms so everything else is set up to comply with DSE recommendations. It’s just the chair that’s letting the side down.

Adjustable height
    Adjustable back tilt
    Ergonomic

I’d say money is no object, but I’d rather not fork out more than about £400-£500 max unless it’s going to be the bestest chair in the world.

Thanks,

Jess

Had to buy a new desk chair during lockdown. Went with Herman Miller for a number of reasons:

a) 14 day return period as long as the chair is in original condition. They'll even turn up with new packaging to take it away in, so you can have a proper (albeit very careful) trial rather than trying to discern how comfortable it is from photos on the web, or recommendations from people with entirely different body types and definitions of comfortable.

b) 12 year warranty with a reasonable weight limit. Assuming it lasts exactly 12 years it'll work out, as I find most things do, at just over a pound a week or under 2p per hour used. Compared to the alternative of spending £120 every 2-4 years and going through the hassle you are currently experiencing an extra 3 or 4 times I consider that to be a veritable bargain. I believe in buying well. Sometimes that's finding a gem at the bottom of the barrel, sometimes it's investing in a long term solution.

c) My search happened to coincide with one of their twice yearly 15% off sales.

d) Turns out it is the bestest chair ever. Took me about 3 hours to come to terms with the fact I wasn't going to see my money again.

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » February 25th, 2022, 3:36 pm

JessUK98 wrote:Can anyone recommend a decent office chair?

Adjustable height
    Adjustable back tilt
    Ergonomic

Thanks,

Jess

We purchased 2 different office chairs in May 20, both about £300. We searched and purchased at the lower end of trade office suppliers rather than consumer stores/sites. Don't have access to the records at the moment, but happy to dig them out if they might be of interest.

Edit: sorry, forgot to say, both happy with chairs. In fact I'm very happy with the one I use.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 25th, 2022, 5:27 pm

gryffron wrote:You can always go into an actual shop and try them out ;)

Gryff

I really wish that were true, but I haven't seen such a shop since the demise of Staples (and even before that, their range had drastically diminished).

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 26th, 2022, 6:15 am

Yes the Herman Miller Aeron is probably the best office chair in the world.

I have two of them, superbly comfortable and adjustable and different sizes available and incredibly well built.

I bought mine second hand from Ebay at about £250 each. Plenty around.

John

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » February 26th, 2022, 8:28 am

redsturgeon wrote:Yes the Herman Miller Aeron is probably the best office chair in the world.

I have two of them, superbly comfortable and adjustable and different sizes available and incredibly well built.

John

Too many options for a blind lockdown buy, kept things simple with a nicely specced gateway Mirra 2.

I think what you paid is probably more like Mirra 2 money on ebay these days though.

Ebay doesn't allow you a trial period which may or may not be a factor. It certainly was a factor in my case, although with shops actually being allowed to open these days the OP might be able to make alternative testing arrangements, or just decide to take the risk.

On the chair itself: Very customisable both during purchase and in use. It's a far lower back than I'd normally have bought, but at the same time far more supportive. Their posture recommendations were not all that similar to how I sat in my old chair, but how I now find myself sitting naturally. Coming from a chair whose tilt function was basically a hinged backrest the tilt experience is in a different world and is why I haven't noticed that I no longer have a head rest.

New or used, I'd definitely recommend them for consideration.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 26th, 2022, 9:32 am

BobbyD wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Yes the Herman Miller Aeron is probably the best office chair in the world.

John

Too many options for a blind lockdown buy, kept things simple with a nicely specced gateway Mirra 2.

I think what you paid is probably more like Mirra 2 money on ebay these days though.

Ebay doesn't allow you a trial period which may or may not be a factor. It certainly was a factor in my case, although with shops actually being allowed to open these days the OP might be able to make alternative testing arrangements, or just decide to take the risk.

On the chair itself: Very customisable both during purchase and in use. It's a far lower back than I'd normally have bought, but at the same time far more supportive. Their posture recommendations were not all that similar to how I sat in my old chair, but how I now find myself sitting naturally. Coming from a chair whose tilt function was basically a hinged backrest the tilt experience is in a different world and is why I haven't noticed that I no longer have a head rest.

New or used, I'd definitely recommend them for consideration.

In my case I had used them before in a office environment so I knew they were right for me.

John

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » February 26th, 2022, 11:00 am

I've bought from ONCEnvironmental several times in the last 10 years.

http://www.officeneedsonline.co.uk/

London area and they have a showroom. They buy and sell top quality used office furniture at a fraction of the new price. Everything I've had has been in as new condition and I've been delighted with it. Have a look around their website, even if you don't buy from them you will get a great idea of the various options.

If you can't get to London Google second hand office furniture or something similar to find a company in the same business in a major city near you. Most big places have similar businesses. You really can get excellent furniture at a fraction of the new price

I have no connection with the company other than as a satisfied customer.

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » March 11th, 2022, 11:14 pm

Wow, thanks for the replies. The Herman Miller chairs do look epic but extremely expensive. I’ve had a look at their website and got overwhelmed by all the different designs and sizes for what looks like the same chair. Also can you move the arms up and down on them? I like an arm rest when watching a video or playing a game with a controller but don’t like arms when actually doing computer work.

I’m rural so no option of going to a shop to try them out unfortunately, there’s no office furniture type place within reasonable distance here. So I’m too “scared” to fork out a grand on an office chair I can’t try first.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » March 12th, 2022, 12:05 am

JessUK98 wrote:Wow, thanks for the replies. The Herman Miller chairs do look epic but extremely expensive. I’ve had a look at their website and got overwhelmed by all the different designs and sizes for what looks like the same chair. Also can you move the arms up and down on them? I like an arm rest when watching a video or playing a game with a controller but don’t like arms when actually doing computer work.

I’m rural so no option of going to a shop to try them out unfortunately, there’s no office furniture type place within reasonable distance here. So I’m too “scared” to fork out a grand on an office chair I can’t try first.

They are expensive, but depending on how quickly you get through cheaper chairs possibly not that much more expensive, and they are lots better. Comparing them 1:1 on cost isn't really fair if it lasts 5 times as long, and the 12 year warranty is both nice protection and a sign that HM rate their product's longevity.

In normal times there is a site wide 15% off sale twice a year in spring and autumn, no idea whether this will happen this year, but it did happen during lockdown.

One of the reasons I went for the Mirra 2 was the comparative lack of options, since like you I was buying blind and wanted to simplify the process as much as possible.

One of the reasons I spent £750 (now as you say more like £1000) on an office chair with a manufacturer's trial period was that it was less risky than spending £150 on a chair with 1/12th the warranty and no manufacturer's trial period!

Herman Miller do arms which move in lots of directions, if you want to be certain it's included on a particular chair eg. https://ukstore.hermanmiller.com/produc ... -slategrey click on "+ show details" directly above the red add to basket option.

In this case it will show:

Back Type:Butterfly
Colour: Slate Grey & White / Fog
Base: Standard
Height Range: Extended
Arms: Fully Adjustable
Tilt: Limiter & Forward
Seat Depth: Adjustable
Castors: Suitable for Hardfloor & Carpet

You can see the range of arm movement here: https://youtu.be/aMlmbw4VSLo?t=552

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 12th, 2022, 7:55 am

As has been said, The Herman Miller is available on eBay quite widely second hand at around £300 which IMHO is an absolute bargain. The robust design and well built nature of these chairs makes buying second hand a relatively safe choice. If you really didn't like it you could easily sell on second hand for not much less than you bought it. I have a Aeron that I bought second hand over five years ago for £250. I could probably sell it today for that price but it has been perfect in every way and still looks and functions as it did five years ago.

John

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » March 12th, 2022, 12:54 pm

I’ve fallen in love with the Herman Miller Embody X Logitech Gaming chair;
https://ukgaming.hermanmiller.com/produ ... hair-black

I’ll have to watch a few more reviews and keep an eye out for a used one.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » March 12th, 2022, 1:20 pm

JessUK98 wrote:I’ve fallen in love with the Herman Miller Embody X Logitech Gaming chair;
https://ukgaming.hermanmiller.com/produ ... hair-black

I’ll have to watch a few more reviews and keep an eye out for a used one.

Congratulations, I hope you are very happy together!

Arfer

Postby Arfer » March 12th, 2022, 4:36 pm

As in many other things, I follow my Granfather's advice "Yer buys cheap, yer gets cheap" In other words, where possible, go for quality if you want good value over the years. Posted from my Hermann Miller chair at a 120 year old oak desk from my Grandfather....

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » May 11th, 2022, 12:46 pm

Well after watching several reviews, I’ve taken the plunge and ordered the Herman Miller Embody gaming chair.
My main doubts have been over the armrests and the fact it makes a noise if you lean back and stretch, so hopefully these won’t be deal breakers for me, but it’s good to know I can return it within 30 days if there are.

I managed to get 20% off the price as well, with a code from a YouTube review (although there’s a 15% sale at the moment) . I was keeping an eye out on ebay but there weren’t many Embody chairs (seems saturated with Aeron, Miller and Sayal versions though). The Embody I saw were either collection only (miles and miles away from me), and/or weren’t that much different in price from new (with the 20% discount).

It will arrive in about a week apparently. Preferably when the other half is out :lol:

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 11th, 2022, 2:14 pm

Can anyone recommend a decent office chair?

:D :D :D

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » May 11th, 2022, 2:42 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Can anyone recommend a decent office chair?

:D :D :D

:lol: Apparently the only difference between the Logitech gaming version and the standard version is the padding. I did look for the Embody standard version on their website but couldn’t find it for sale through them, only the gaming version.

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » May 19th, 2022, 1:20 pm

Well my chair has arrived. The delivery guy even unpacked the chair for me and took away the packaging.

It’s miles better than my old chair even before I fiddled with the settings. The arms definitely let the chair down though, to adjust the width it’s a push in/out clicking system, and easily knocked out of the position you want, just by using the arms to move the chair. I like that I can just collapse them out of the way though.

Hopefully I have found my chair. Hopefully my 3 year old will not think it’s a new toy and fiddle with all the settings. I live in hope.

EDIT - apparently they don’t make the original embody chair for the UK anymore, which will explain why I can only find the “gaming” edition.

Return to “Does anyone know?”