Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Strange TLF rendering issue

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
XFool
The full Lemon

Strange TLF rendering issue

Postby XFool » May 6th, 2022, 12:09 pm

Re. this post: viewtopic.php?p=498723#p498723

A prize (well, maybe not!) to the first person who can explain why the following line in the above post is not rendering correctly.

(Please THINK before you reply: "Because you forgot the ending </italic> mark" !)

I have tested it in the TEST thread with no issues whatsoever.

Trainee engineers from the former Royal Aircraft Establishment put the nation on high alert in 1967 with their flying saucers
{ I have no idea why 'italic' is mysteriously not working on that last line - Alien intervention? }

It now IS working here in the quote with only the leading </italic> mark, so I've had to leave it off above, unlike in the original!

Here it is repeated today, working perfectly:

Trainee engineers from the former Royal Aircraft Establishment put the nation on high alert in 1967 with their flying saucers

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Strange TLF rendering issue

Postby XFool » May 6th, 2022, 12:19 pm

...To clarify: Why did an italicised line of text, when saved, repeatedly have the trailing TLF </italic> mark removed so ensuring it was not correctly displayed as intended?

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 6th, 2022, 2:32 pm

Here it is, copied from that thread, complete with the italic start and end which I have not edited in any way, and the italic is working as usual.

XFool wrote:https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/hampshire-news/farnborough-pranksters-behind-ufo-hoax-13532270

If you go into that thread and Quote your own post, you will see that the italic start and finish is there...

Which does not answer the question, of course.

V8

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 6th, 2022, 2:38 pm

XFool wrote:
...To clarify: Why did an italicised line of text, when saved, repeatedly have the trailing TLF </italic> mark removed so ensuring it was not correctly displayed as intended?

Because you've got a rogue italics tag directly in front of the image URL, much earlier in your post.

Itsallaguess

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 6th, 2022, 2:43 pm

88V8 wrote:Here it is, copied from that thread, complete with the italic start and end which I have not edited in any way, and the italic is working as usual.

XFool wrote:https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/hampshire-news/farnborough-pranksters-behind-ufo-hoax-13532270

If you go into that thread and Quote your own post, you will see that the italic start and finish is there...

Which does not answer the question, of course.

Indeed! :)

Which is what gave rise to the question. It's there but appears not to be there when displayed - resulting in the leading 'italic on' mark displaying and apparently no trailing 'italic off' mark and so no displayed italic rendering.

I used no italicisation before that line, so not some prior missing mark. I did wonder if it was some strange interaction with the text image included, but that was simply referenced by an HTML link to the source image. So...

Return to “Does anyone know?”