Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Point of Entry Water Filtration Systems

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Matello7777

Point of Entry Water Filtration Systems

Postby Matello7777 » May 28th, 2022, 7:24 am

Hi all,
Can anyone recommend a good POE water filtration system or a company that can install one?
We live in a very hard water area.
Thanks
Mark

Hardgrafter
2 Lemon pips

Re: Point of Entry Water Filtration Systems

Postby Hardgrafter » May 28th, 2022, 2:26 pm

Hi, I was an industrial water treatment engineer.

If you are just concerned about water hardness, then you need to be aware that hard water is much better for you to drink than soft water (cardio vascular disease rates almost completely map to softwater areas. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3396141.stm . Hardwater is bad for your washing machine, dishwasher, hot water heater, shower heads and of course washing. For this fit a water softener (you can get good ones from B&Q made by BWT) which will need to be installed. You MUST have at least one tap that in your kitchen that is connected before the water softener.
Hardwater generally comes from underground sources (and therefore is very clear and does not require filtration), but some comes from rivers in chalky areas (like River Thames).
I suggest you get the water analysis for the water supplied to you house. Just ask you water supplier, and the have to report it, and can send you the report. Water hardness is reported as Calcium & Magnesium and sometimes as ppm CaCCO3. Anything over 100ppm is fairly hard, and over 300 is very hard.
Filtration is for removing particles (reported as TSS -total suspended solids -or Turbidity. But most supplies are very low in TSS.
You may be thinking of colour or taste from Organics, (which is found in river and river sources). However again most companies treat the water to substantially remove these. This includes Thames Water, which uses vast quantities of activated carbon (that you find in Brita filters ) to improve the water taste. BTW, its not the chlorine you can taste, but the organics and the chlorinated organics.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 28th, 2022, 2:55 pm

Hardgrafter wrote:Hi, I was an industrial water treatment engineer.

If you are just concerned about water hardness, then you need to be aware that hard water is much better for you to drink than soft water (cardio vascular disease rates almost completely map to softwater areas. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3396141.stm . Hardwater is bad for your washing machine, dishwasher, hot water heater, shower heads and of course washing. For this fit a water softener (you can get good ones from B&Q made by BWT) which will need to be installed. You MUST have at least one tap that in your kitchen that is connected before the water softener.
Hardwater generally comes from underground sources (and therefore is very clear and does not require filtration), but some comes from rivers in chalky areas (like River Thames).
I suggest you get the water analysis for the water supplied to you house. Just ask you water supplier, and the have to report it, and can send you the report. Water hardness is reported as Calcium & Magnesium and sometimes as ppm CaCCO3. Anything over 100ppm is fairly hard, and over 300 is very hard.
Filtration is for removing particles (reported as TSS -total suspended solids -or Turbidity. But most supplies are very low in TSS.
You may be thinking of colour or taste from Organics, (which is found in river and river sources). However again most companies treat the water to substantially remove these. This includes Thames Water, which uses vast quantities of activated carbon (that you find in Brita filters ) to improve the water taste. BTW, its not the chlorine you can taste, but the organics and the chlorinated organics.

I think the water company website may have the water analysis. Scottish Water's certainly does, but of course you need to be able to know what you are looking at. My son lives in N Ireland and his house is built on Limestone. I could not understand why my stomach was always upset when I went over to see him but it is the very high content of calcium and magnesium I think. Where I live in Scotland my tapwater is basically Highland Spring. Their bottling plane is just a couple of miles away, so the contrast is incredible.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 28th, 2022, 4:39 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Where I live in Scotland my tapwater is basically Highland Spring.

Their bottling plane is just a couple of miles away

Is that horizontally, or vertically?

:O)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 28th, 2022, 5:46 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
Where I live in Scotland my tapwater is basically Highland Spring.

Their bottling plane is just a couple of miles away

Is that horizontally, or vertically?

:O)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Thank you :lol:

Dod

Return to “Does anyone know?”