Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Site with historic share prices going back several years?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
tlf67482
2 Lemon pips

Site with historic share prices going back several years?

Postby tlf67482 » June 25th, 2022, 7:13 pm

Does anyone know of a site that you can enter an EPIC (e.g. LLOY) and it will list the historic share price in a table?

I do not need a daily price just a price every month going back as far a possible.

Thanks

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Site with historic share prices going back several years?

Postby Itsallaguess » June 25th, 2022, 7:30 pm

tlf67482 wrote:Does anyone know of a site that you can enter an EPIC (e.g. LLOY) and it will list the historic share price in a table?

I do not need a daily price just a price every month going back as far a possible.

This site is great for historical UK share prices -

https://uk.investing.com/equities/lloyds-banking-grp-historical-data

Under the 'General / Historical Data' tab, you can set the time-frame drop-down to 'Weekly', and then to the right of that, you'll see an area where you can set the date-range, either by manually entering two dates, or using the handy calendars to do so.

Just to the left of the date-range area, there's a 'Download Data' option if you'd prefer to store the prices for external use, but I think you'd need to go through the free registration at that stage, or sign in using a Google or Facebook account.

I've always managed fine with the non-account data, although as with any of these types of data-sources, I would urge a quick dip-check comparison on a couple of dates and prices when viewed against a 'Max' chart on something like Google Finance, just to give some additional confidence, depending on what you're using the data for -

https://www.google.com/finance/quote/LLOY:LON?hl=en&window=MAX

Hovering your mouse over any area on that LLOY chart from Google Finance will give a reliable date and price, and a quick sanity check against the tabular price data is always worth the short amount of time it takes.

Hope the above is helpful.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 25th, 2022, 7:52 pm

tlf67482
2 Lemon pips

Postby tlf67482 » June 26th, 2022, 8:30 pm

OK I am getting confused.

Are the historical prices correct for LLOY?

I am positive LLOY has been £7 or even £8 in the past (at time in 2000/2001/2002) but the historical data does not seem to have any prices this high listed?

Anyone have a clue what is going on?

Thanks

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 26th, 2022, 8:54 pm

tlf67482 wrote:OK I am getting confused.

I am positive LLOY has been £7 or even £8 in the past (at time in 2000/2001/2002) but the historical data does not seem to have any prices this high listed?

Thanks

Massive rights issue in 2009. It appears on the Yahoo chart as a stock split.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/investing/article-1684486/Lloyds-rights-issue-what-it-means-for-shareholders.html

Tri2000

Postby Tri2000 » June 26th, 2022, 9:01 pm

For hardcore data junkies there is a Polish site https://stooq.com/db/h/ where you can download every UK company & ETF historic prices in one big zip file which is updated daily. Each company is a separate comma separated text file, so there are several thousand files after the unzip.

The time varies from company to company however Lloyds goes back to 1987 on a daily basis, although is is more than most.
There are 6 countries to choose including US, UK and Japan plus a separate file for global macro-economic data.

I have used a free program call TxtCollector, https://txtcollector.en.softonic.com/ to merge many of the separate files into a single one that can be easily imported into Excel (or R) for analysis.

Maybe this is useful to someone.

If anyone knows where I can download sector price data in an easy way please post here. I am trying to avoid opening each sector, adjusting the time and then copy/paste, which is the only way I know using investing.com

tlf67482
2 Lemon pips

Postby tlf67482 » June 27th, 2022, 10:35 am

Thanks everyone for continued suggestions on this problem.

mc2fool wrote:
Thanks

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/investing/article-1684486/Lloyds-rights-issue-what-it-means-for-shareholders.html

I am just not understanding this. How does a rights issue in 2009 impact the open price in 2000/1/2 provided in the historical data?

Isn't the price, the price, it should not change? I can find a 41:40 split in May 2009 but nothing for a rights issue that occurred in Dec 2009? I am just not finding the reason why the prices are so far out? Also why is the rights issues in Dec 2009 not mentioned? I know I am not getting something as other shares I am looking at have a similar problem where prices are just not corresponding with what they should be.

For example, if I bought LLOY May 2002 what would it had cost? According to Yahoo historical data it was around £5 but I know this isn't correct it should be more around £8

Tri2000 wrote:For hardcore data junkies there is a Polish site https://stooq.com/db/h/ where you can download every UK company & ETF historic prices in one big zip file which is updated daily. Each company is a separate comma separated text file, so there are several thousand files after the unzip.

Instead of working with a zip/text files is anyone familiar enough with this site to know if you can search for a symbol and get a page containing historical data - if so what should I be clicking on?

Thanks

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 27th, 2022, 11:19 am

tlf67482 wrote:Thanks everyone for continued suggestions on this problem.

mc2fool wrote:
Thanks

I am just not understanding this. How does a rights issue in 2009 impact the open price in 2000/1/2 provided in the historical data?

Isn't the price, the price, it should not change?

Yes and no. Sure you may have paid £10 for a share in 2008, but if there is, say, a 2-for-1 split in 2009 then for all practical purposes you now have 2 shares that you paid a fiver each for, so the "adjusted" historical price for that day in 2008 will be £5. That's the way the taxman will look at it and is also how most online sources will show it.

If they didn't show the adjusted price but showed the historical on-that-day price then the charts would, in the above example, show a massive (50%) drop when the split occurred, which isn't really correct (and would bugger up overlays, like moving averages).

Yes, on a closer look than the cursory glance I gave it previously, it does look like Yahoo has got some of the 2009 corporate actions wrong. That's not unusual for Yahoo; IME Yahoo isn't always reliable for historical prices anyway ...

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » June 27th, 2022, 11:37 am

pje16 wrote:Yahoo Finance back to 1996
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/quote/LLOY ... Close=true

Be aware that Yahoo don't put much effort into error correction, so their data can be a bit glitchy. It's fine for ballpark stuff but may not always be great in the detail.

FWIW they have Lloyds peaking at around 650p in 1998/9, which doesn't seem obviously wrong?

One option for doublechecking would be eoddata.com, you can get New York prices (so the LYG incarnation of Lloyds) as part of their free service and as a mostly paid-for service their data should be rather better than Yahoo's.

And Lloyds' own website has London data back to 2007 but NYSE data back to late 2001, which puts it at about the same $40-ish level then and in late 2007 (it's actually remarkable how stable it was in $ terms compared to sterling), which suggests that £4-5 in 2001 is right, so a peak of 650p in 1998/9 is also about right.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 27th, 2022, 12:00 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:And Lloyds' own website has London data back to 2007 but NYSE data back to late 2001...

And usefully for the discussion of adjusted historical prices for corporate actions, their share price download page has a banner that says:

"On 27 November 2009 a share adjustment was applied to all historical data. Further information can be found in..."

https://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/investors/shareholder-information/share-price/share-price-download.html

tlf67482
2 Lemon pips

Postby tlf67482 » June 27th, 2022, 8:08 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:
pje16 wrote:Yahoo Finance back to 1996
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/quote/LLOY ... Close=true
Be aware that Yahoo don't put much effort into error correction, so their data can be a bit glitchy. It's fine for ballpark stuff but may not always be great in the detail.
FWIW they have Lloyds peaking at around 650p in 1998/9, which doesn't seem obviously wrong?

Thanks it may have peaked at 650p with these "adjusted figures" but when contract notes do not match up the historical data and graphs by a significant factor of 30-50% for large periods of time it is very confusing.

tlf67482
2 Lemon pips

Postby tlf67482 » June 27th, 2022, 8:27 pm

mc2fool wrote:And usefully for the discussion of adjusted historical prices for corporate actions, their share price download page has a banner that says:"On 27 November 2009 a share adjustment was applied to all historical data. Further information can be found in..."https://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/investors/shareholder-information/share-price/share-price-download.html

Generally speaking I do not make a record of any rights issues I only record share splits and share consolidations.
I did not think rights issues had an impact when working out capital gains or any other adjustments were needed?

mc2fool wrote:Yes and no. Sure you may have paid £10 for a share in 2008, but if there is, say, a 2-for-1 split in 2009 then for all practical purposes you now have 2 shares that you paid a fiver each for, so the "adjusted" historical price for that day in 2008 will be £5. That's the way the taxman will look at it and is also how most online sources will show it.

This was a rights issue 1.34:1 not a split/consolidation?

I have no record of any splits/consolidations for LLOY ever so I am concerned that my record keeping has gone bad? I can understand the historical price changing if it was a split/consolidation I just do not understand for rights issues? The fact that LLOY has made an adjustment shows that there is a reason for it but can someone explain?

Thanks

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 27th, 2022, 8:53 pm

tlf67482 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:And usefully for the discussion of adjusted historical prices for corporate actions, their share price download page has a banner that says:"On 27 November 2009 a share adjustment was applied to all historical data. Further information can be found in..."https://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/investors/shareholder-information/share-price/share-price-download.html

Generally speaking I do not make a record of any rights issues I only record share splits and share consolidations.
I did not think rights issues had an impact when working out capital gains or any other adjustments were needed?

See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/capital-gains-tax-share-reorganisation-takeover-or-merger. If you google there are probably less dry explanations.

tlf67482 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Yes and no. Sure you may have paid £10 for a share in 2008, but if there is, say, a 2-for-1 split in 2009 then for all practical purposes you now have 2 shares that you paid a fiver each for, so the "adjusted" historical price for that day in 2008 will be £5. That's the way the taxman will look at it and is also how most online sources will show it.

This was a rights issue 1.34:1 not a split/consolidation?

I have no record of any splits/consolidations for LLOY ever so I am concerned that my record keeping has gone bad? I can understand the historical price changing if it was a split/consolidation I just do not understand for rights issues? The fact that LLOY has made an adjustment shows that there is a reason for it but can someone explain?

I used a split as an example rather than a rights issue 'cos the drop in price due to a split is easier to explain. :D

Try https://www.fool.co.uk/investing-basics/understanding-the-market/rights-issues-and-open-offers/

Here's another worked example. Scroll down to Calculating the theoretical ex-rights price (TERP) and read from there.

https://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/comment/2019/12/18/how-to-understand-a-rights-issue/

tlf67482
2 Lemon pips

Postby tlf67482 » June 28th, 2022, 5:56 pm

mc2fool wrote:
tlf67482 wrote:Generally speaking I do not make a record of any rights issues I only record share splits and share consolidations.

See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/capital-gains-tax-share-reorganisation-takeover-or-merger. If you google there are probably less dry explanations.

tlf67482 wrote:This was a rights issue 1.34:1 not a split/consolidation?

I used a split as an example rather than a rights issue 'cos the drop in price due to a split is easier to explain. :D

Try https://www.fool.co.uk/investing-basics/understanding-the-market/rights-issues-and-open-offers/

Here's another worked example. Scroll down to Calculating the theoretical ex-rights price (TERP) and read from there.

https://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/comment/2019/12/18/how-to-understand-a-rights-issue/

Thanks for reply. I will understand this :? (I think it is becoming clearer now)

If there is a rights issue and I take up the rights I record a new purchase I am satisfied that this is enough for my record keeping purposes and capital gains. If there is a split/consolidation I have to do more work to make the record keeping make sense.

What I am struggling with is now by the looks of things I shouldn't be recording my purchases as just LLOY should I be including the "??nominal value??". So before the rights issue was it LLOY ORD NOT 10p (15p?) and afterward it was (and currently still is) LLOY ORD 10p?

On closer inspection of the historical values that are wrong if I take my purchase price multiply by approx 0.65 that is consistently the same as the historical value at Yahoo. Does that equate to the 1.34:1 somehow? If it does any guesses on what is the formula to get from 1.34:1 to the "proper" value I should be multiplying by?

Thanks

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 28th, 2022, 10:03 pm

tlf67482 wrote:What I am struggling with is now by the looks of things I shouldn't be recording my purchases as just LLOY should I be including the "??nominal value??". So before the rights issue was it LLOY ORD NOT 10p (15p?) and afterward it was (and currently still is) LLOY ORD 10p?

On closer inspection of the historical values that are wrong if I take my purchase price multiply by approx 0.65 that is consistently the same as the historical value at Yahoo. Does that equate to the 1.34:1 somehow? If it does any guesses on what is the formula to get from 1.34:1 to the "proper" value I should be multiplying by?

I had rather hoped, having given you three sets of explanations and worked examples, that any specific calculations could be left as an exercise for the reader! :D

You can record purchases by nominal value if you like but it doesn't make any material difference.

You don't multiply your purchase price by anything. The thing to do is to keep track of the total net cost basis of your holding and the number of shares you hold.

If you take up a rights issue it's just like buying more shares, you add the net cost to the total net cost and the number of shares acquired to the total.

If you sell your nil paid rights instead (or do a partial sell) then you reduce your total net cost by the amount received.

That's it. If you want to know the cost per share of your holding at any time you simply divide the total net cost by the number of shares.

tlf67482
2 Lemon pips

Postby tlf67482 » June 28th, 2022, 11:14 pm

mc2fool wrote:
tlf67482 wrote:What I am struggling with is now by the looks of things I shouldn't be recording my purchases as just LLOY should I be including the "??nominal value??". So before the rights issue was it LLOY ORD NOT 10p (15p?) and afterward it was (and currently still is) LLOY ORD 10p?

You don't multiply your purchase price by anything. The thing to do is to keep track of the total net cost basis of your holding and the number of shares you hold.

Some confusion here I mostly understand the rights issue side of things regarding capital gains apart from the "??nominal value??" question I will try reading the links again.

What I do not understand is how do I go from the actual purchase/sale price on the contract note and making it match the historic price on Yahoo.

For LLOY when comparing my contract note prices with Yahoo anything before the key date 27 Nov 2009 is very wrong everything after the key date 27 Nov 2009 seems to be correct. On further inspection all prices before the key day of 27 Nov 2009 seem to be off by the same percent give or take considering the possible spread throughout the day.

Ignoring LLOY in case I just chose a bad first example the next few shares I tried they seemed to be missing/additional splits/rights and no way of working out what is going on. These just may need further investigation but I feel after virtually getting the LLOY data possibly correct I just may be loosing the battle if all the shares need this much investigation to work out what is going on.

I understand why there can't be massive rises or falls in the graph data but surely there should be some way of checking that the data you are looking at is actually sound?

After getting so close I am starting to believe I am on the loosing side here. I just can't see with any consistency what Yahoo has actually done with most of the data there are presenting.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 29th, 2022, 12:06 am

tlf67482 wrote:What I do not understand is how do I go from the actual purchase/sale price on the contract note and making it match the historic price on Yahoo.

For LLOY when comparing my contract note prices with Yahoo anything before the key date 27 Nov 2009 is very wrong everything after the key date 27 Nov 2009 seems to be correct. On further inspection all prices before the key day of 27 Nov 2009 seem to be off by the same percent give or take considering the possible spread throughout the day.

It is (or, at least, should be*) the same percentage difference but you need to go back to the calculation of the theoretical ex-rights price in the links before. Having got that the percent is the ratio of the old and new price.

* As noted previously, Yahoo is not the most reliable of sources. I've seen it get splits/right issues, and the subsequent changes in price, off by days or even weeks from when they really happened ... and you do know that Yahoo's "closing" prices aren't actually the LSE closing prices but are instead the last trade price (which includes post-market off-book trades, is why they're often different)....

tlf67482
2 Lemon pips

Postby tlf67482 » June 29th, 2022, 8:12 pm

mc2fool wrote:It is (or, at least, should be*) the same percentage difference but you need to go back to the calculation of the theoretical ex-rights price in the links before. Having got that the percent is the ratio of the old and new price. * As noted previously, Yahoo is not the most reliable of sources. I've seen it get splits/right issues, and the subsequent changes in price, off by days or even weeks from when they really happened ... and you do know that Yahoo's "closing" prices aren't actually the LSE closing prices but are instead the last trade price (which includes post-market off-book trades, is why they're often different)....

I am so close I have got LLOY basically matching the trouble is I really do not know how I came up with the figure I am using to make the adjustment. It works but only because I am lucky that all the figures that didn't match are all impacted by the same several past corporate actions so I can bundle them up and apply a single adjustment ratio guess and it is close enough.

Since the inception of Lloyds Bank plc there has been a placing (0.43 new for 1 old), capitalisation (1 new for 40 old), placing (0.62 new for 1 old) and rights issue (1.34 new for 1 old) and that is assuming I haven't missed any. Taking this information and trying to work out which ones Yahoo has used to adjust the history or not is beyond me. To make matters worse there are even two close prices both adjusted a different way in Yahoos data. Even if I knew which actions have caused Yahoo to adjust the figures I just can't get my head around what I should be doing to work out how to go from either Yahoo close price to the price on my contract note.

If all these four corporate actions have caused an adjustment not knowing how these combine to get to my combined figure means I can't trust the data from my perspective. If I can't work it out mathematically I do not feel happy using the data.

I may try another share but I have a similar problem I need to take into account all the corporate action from inception finding this information is difficult and trying to work out how Yahoo applied it is near on impossible.

Thanks

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » June 29th, 2022, 9:47 pm

tlf67482 wrote:Does anyone know of a site that you can enter an EPIC (e.g. LLOY) and it will list the historic share price in a table?

Thanks

If you have a gmail account, it's pretty easy to generate historic prices in a Google sheet, using the google finance functions. I have one that covers the FTAS and a few indices, it was pretty easy to make. A drop down box to pick the share or index from a list, another to choose daily or weekly prices and 2 cells for the start and end dates. The data can the be easily copied into another spreadsheet such as Excel if required.

In that example (ADM) the prices only go back as far as 23/09/04.

RC

tlf67482
2 Lemon pips

Postby tlf67482 » July 1st, 2022, 11:13 am

ReformedCharacter wrote:If you have a gmail account, it's pretty easy to generate historic prices in a Google sheet, using the google finance functions. I have one that covers the FTAS and a few indices, it was pretty easy to make. A drop down box to pick the share or index from a list, another to choose daily or weekly prices and 2 cells for the start and end dates. The data can the be easily copied into another spreadsheet such as Excel if required
If the Google Finance site is anything to go by it looks like they also adjusted the figures so historical data is meaningless. I am happy to be proven wrong though - I guess the data provided in Sheets may be different.

Lloyds Bank has certainly been £8 and £7 in the past and also have recollections of it peaking at over £10/share but if the graphs on Google Finance are anything to go by Lloyds Bank has barely hit £5/share at the peak.

I understand they do this to get the graphs to work but unless they provide details on what they have done to the figures the data is useless.

If you can't get figures out that "match" contract notes I do not see how it can be trusted.

Return to “Does anyone know?”