Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

How to confirm if a contactless payment has worked

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: How to confirm if a contactless payment has worked

Postby mc2fool » June 28th, 2022, 2:53 pm

pje16 wrote:Final word
I NEVER mentioned RFID - you did

No, Stompa did in his 'Tap & Go' post which you replied to with a link to your wallet, and it's also a selling feature of the wallet in the Amazon listing, and is kind of an essential feature for 'Tap & Go' while avoiding card clash.

Honestly, I don't get your reaction to this, I'm just trying to find out some things about this wallet you said works as per:
Stompa wrote:... a so-called 'Tap & Go' wallet, RFID protected but with one external pocket.

but if you don't want to answer any questions about it, then I guess that's that....

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 28th, 2022, 2:55 pm

Read my posts, I have explained how it works (including how cards didn't clash) - honestly..... what a waste of time
Last edited by pje16 on June 28th, 2022, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 28th, 2022, 2:56 pm

Dod101 wrote:I cannot imagine why anyone would want to carry three never mind six contactless cards. I have two, a credit card and a debit card, both carried loosely in my pocket, although what all this has to do with the question I have no idea.

Pretty much every credit and debit card issued has a contactless feature. So if like me you have 2 bank current accounts and four credit cards, then you will have six contactless cards by default.

There are a few arguments to have multiple bank and credit card accounts, but it seems to me that such a discussion is off topic here.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 28th, 2022, 3:20 pm

Lootman wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I cannot imagine why anyone would want to carry three never mind six contactless cards. I have two, a credit card and a debit card, both carried loosely in my pocket, although what all this has to do with the question I have no idea.

Pretty much every credit and debit card issued has a contactless feature. So if like me you have 2 bank current accounts and four credit cards, then you will have six contactless cards by default.

There are a few arguments to have multiple bank and credit card accounts, but it seems to me that such a discussion is off topic here.

That is true and I can see more or less what you are saying. AS you say off topic anyway.

Dod

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 28th, 2022, 6:16 pm

Lootman wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Requires keeping your contactless card and Freedom Pass/60+/Oyster in different wallets or pockets, or extracting the latter from your wallet to tap in. P.I.T.A.
I like to choose which card to use for any given transaction and so it makes sense to remove only that card from my wallet and "slap" that one. Takes me perhaps 2 seconds.

I agree. If taking a payment card etc. out of your wallet can be described as a "P.I.T.A" I can only assume getting ones [expletive deleted] to the paypoint in the first place must rival The Labours of Hercules.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 28th, 2022, 7:17 pm

Dod

I have debit cards for my plumbing business account, my rental business account, my joint personal household account with my wife, and each of my three personal bank accounts. So although I said five earlier, that makes six after all.

Hope that helps...

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 28th, 2022, 7:42 pm

Mike4 wrote:

Dod

I have debit cards for my plumbing business account, my rental business account, my joint personal household account with my wife, and each of my three personal bank accounts. So although I said five earlier, that makes six after all.

Hope that helps...

Not really because if I had separate entities as you do I too would have several different accounts and so separate cards but this is so far from the original DAK question that many of these posts, including our exchange ought to be removed.

Dod

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 28th, 2022, 9:30 pm

XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Requires keeping your contactless card and Freedom Pass/60+/Oyster in different wallets or pockets, or extracting the latter from your wallet to tap in. P.I.T.A.
I like to choose which card to use for any given transaction and so it makes sense to remove only that card from my wallet and "slap" that one. Takes me perhaps 2 seconds.

I agree. If taking a payment card etc. out of your wallet can be described as a "P.I.T.A" I can only assume getting ones [expletive deleted] to the paypoint in the first place must rival The Labours of Hercules.

Don't be daft, my wallet lives in my pocket, and do try and keep up old chap ... I am and always have been talking about the Freedom Pass/60+/Oyster for tapping into buses, trains, tube, etc, not any cards for any other kind of transaction. Of course those get pulled out of my wallet -- they have to be 'cos none are contactless.

You've said you also don't have any contactless cards but I assume (?) that you do have a Freedom Pass (IIRC you are within Greater London?). If so you're just like me, and so, as your only contactless card is your Freedom Pass, do you get it out of your wallet to tap into buses, tube, etc, every time, or do you just slap your wallet against the reader?

And I note from the "Tap & Go" card wallets linked to by Stompa earlier that someone has recognised the commercial opportunity in the issue ... ;)

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » June 28th, 2022, 9:36 pm

I've just been looking at these myself (with a view to buying one), but what occurs to me is: Wouldn't it be safer to go with a wallet that has the RFID protection, but without the 'Tap & Go' pocket, as surely if the front card can be read through some sort of little window in the wallet (albeit for added convenience), then surely, similarly, a scanner/potential thief could also take a reading of that particular card's details, which tends to undermine the idea of the wallet in the first place.

I note the Amazon cards (in PJE16's link early in this thread), don't have the 'Tap & Go' aspect. Have I missed something other than the convenience of not having to remove that front card from the wallet?

viewtopic.php?p=510189#p510189]

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 28th, 2022, 9:45 pm

The Amazon one I posted to earlier folds in half and then goes in my pocket
the chances of a scammer reading it are slim to none and I have had cards for over 35 years

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » June 28th, 2022, 10:01 pm

richfool wrote:I've just been looking at these myself (with a view to buying one), but what occurs to me is: Wouldn't it be safer to go with a wallet that has the RFID protection, but without the 'Tap & Go' pocket, as surely if the front card can be read through some sort of little window in the wallet (albeit for added convenience), then surely, similarly, a scanner/potential thief could also take a reading of that particular card's details, which tends to undermine the idea of the wallet in the first place.

I note the Amazon cards (in PJE16's link early in this thread), don't have the 'Tap & Go' aspect. Have I missed something other than the convenience of not having to remove that front card from the wallet?

Ah, I think I see the point now, in that the outer 'Tap & Go' pocket is intended for things like Oyster cards, rather than one's credit or debit cards. Thus I think the RFID without the Tap & Go pocket would work best for me. My existing longstanding wallet is of that style and shape (and folds in half), but being about 20 years old, it predates things like tap and go and RFID.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 28th, 2022, 10:32 pm

mc2fool wrote:
XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Don't be daft, my wallet lives in my pocket, and do try and keep up old chap ...

I'm trying too, but it seems to becoming a right Cardageddon...

mc2fool wrote:I am and always have been talking about the Freedom Pass/60+/Oyster for tapping into buses, trains, tube, etc, not any cards for any other kind of transaction. Of course those get pulled out of my wallet -- they have to be 'cos none are contactless.

So you mean all your cards, other than the Oyster card, are not contactless?

mc2fool wrote:You've said you also don't have any contactless cards

No I have not. I said one of my credit cards is not contactless.

mc2fool wrote:...but I assume (?) that you do have a Freedom Pass (IIRC you are within Greater London?). If so you're just like me, and so, as your only contactless card is your Freedom Pass, do you get it out of your wallet to tap into buses, tube, etc, every time, or do you just slap your wallet against the reader?

My Freedom Card is not my only contactless card and I do take it out of my wallet every time I use it. (Apart from the time I absentmindedly took out and used my contactless credit card in error - but that is another story)

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » June 28th, 2022, 10:39 pm

didds wrote:
BobbyD wrote:
didds wrote:Generally speaking most forms of payment have potential problems..

* contactless - lose the card = possible use and abuse by others

Easily solved in most semi-modern banking apps where you can block and unblock the card as you wish, but then in most cases you'd might as well leave the card at home and use the phone in its place.

... and meanwhile if doing that never have a phone battery that goes flat ...

Far less of an issue than it used to be, if you are going on a trip where you think that a risk take the card, or a little powerbank...

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 28th, 2022, 10:48 pm

XFool wrote:
mc2fool wrote:I am and always have been talking about the Freedom Pass/60+/Oyster for tapping into buses, trains, tube, etc, not any cards for any other kind of transaction. Of course those get pulled out of my wallet -- they have to be 'cos none are contactless.

So you mean all your cards, other than the Oyster card, are not contactless?

Yes, all of the cards I carry with me, either 'cos that's what I got, or 'cos I asked for them that way, or 'cos I nobbled it. :D

XFool wrote:

No, you said "I don't use contactless." viewtopic.php?p=509732#p509732 And if you don't what's the point in having any? If you don't use any that way get them changed for non-contactless ones (or nobble them) and then you won't have to take your Freedom Pass out of your wallet every time you tap in. :D

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 28th, 2022, 11:03 pm

mc2fool wrote:
XFool wrote:

No, you said "I don't use contactless." viewtopic.php?p=509732#p509732 And if you don't what's the point in having any?

Having contactless cards and using cards contactlessly are two different things! Obviously I use my Oyster/Freedon Card contactlessly, because that is how (the only way) it works. I don't use contactless for financial transactions using cards.

mc2fool wrote:If you don't use any that way get them changed for non-contactless ones (or nobble them)

I asked. They said "No". Then one of them issued me with a non contactless card at renewal, without me asking.

mc2fool wrote:...and then you won't have to take your Freedom Pass out of your wallet every time you tap in. :D

My debit card plus my main CC remain contactless and as I anyway take THAT out of my wallet every time I use it - what's the bother?

Thinks: Why do I keep my debit card in my wallet anyway, as I never use it to pay for anything and rarely use it to get cash nowadays?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 28th, 2022, 11:26 pm

XFool wrote:
mc2fool wrote:If you don't use any that way get them changed for non-contactless ones (or nobble them)

I asked. They said "No". Then one of them issued me with a non contactless card at renewal, without me asking.

See viewtopic.php?p=509853#p509853 for easy nobbling advice. :D

XFool wrote:
mc2fool wrote:...and then you won't have to take your Freedom Pass out of your wallet every time you tap in. :D

My debit card plus my main CC remain contactless and as I anyway take THAT out of my wallet every time I use it - what's the bother?

Once again, it's not about the other (non-Oyster-type) cards: whether they're contactless or non-contactless you of course have to take those out of your wallet on every use. It's about not having to do so with your Freedom Pass so that you can swiftly and suavely weave your way in and out of TfL etc without fumbling in your wallet. I use my Freedom Pass much more than any other card, so there's a big fumble-saving there. :D

XFool wrote:Thinks: Why do I keep my debit card in my wallet anyway, as I never use it to pay for anything and rarely use it to get cash nowadays?

One down one to go. (See nobbling link above). ;)

Return to “Does anyone know?”