Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Best bang for (free) travel buck

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Best bang for (free) travel buck

Postby NomoneyNohoney » July 1st, 2022, 8:46 pm

There was a thread I just finished reading, about paying for a bus journey in London, and that overlaps with a project I'm contemplating.
Let me quote though from mc2fool, before I explain what I'm after:-

''The simple rule is that it gives you free travel on any TfL service, all the way out to zone 9, but on National Rail only out to zone 6. So, while you can get out to Watford Junction (zone 9) on London Overground (a TfL service) for free, you can't go further than Harrow & Wealdstone (zone 5) on the two National Rail services that run up there, even though they all run on the same set of tracks. However, there are exceptions, e.g. you can go out to Amersham (zone 9) on either the Metropolitan line or Chiltern Railways. It's complicated. :D

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-disco ... -photocard

The other thing, that I recently found out in real life to my surprise, is that whereas the 60+ and Freedom Pass cards used to allow anytime travel on TfL services and 9.00/9.30am (depending on which line) onward travel on National Rail, in July 2020 they changed it so that those cards were no longer valid on TfL services during the morning peak period (04:30 to 09:00) Mon-Fri, and it is, as I recently discovered, still like that now despite the London Assembly calling for it to be lifted a year later.

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press ... peak-hours
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ ... 653.html''

Now, what is in my mind is using a London issued Freedom Pass to its maximum convenience, as it allows free ''local bus'' use nationwide.
With the opening of the Elizabeth line, you can use your Freedom Pass to Reading , and from there onwards, take ''local buses'' to go westwards for example.
Similarly, based on what mc2fool said, (quoted above) you can get to Watford Junction before being compelled to only use ''local buses'' from there onwards, to go north. For easterly direction, BR out to Upminster, and then ''local buses'' from there, whilst southwards its seemingly Coulsdon South by train, and then ''local buses''.

What I'm trying to find out, is the ''local bus routes'' that cover the greatest distances with the least stops, enabling free travel with reasonable journey times.

I have friends in Brighton, also in Bridgend Wales, and in Truro Cornwall. I'd like to work out routes to visit them, with free buses from the above-mentioned jumping off points, so does anyone know how I can get the best bang for my (free) buck on ''local buses''? DAK a resource that would handle this? FYI I've tried the apps 'Moovit', 'From Rome to Rio' and also 'Travelline' but they aren't really honing in on what I want. Anyone got pointers on where else to look, or actual suggestions of useful longer distance 'local' bus routes?

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Best bang for (free) travel buck

Postby csearle » July 2nd, 2022, 12:31 am

Brilliant. Can't answer your question unfortunately but I recall chatting with a fellow Waze map-editor during a free 'round-Kent train pub crawl (another member of which was [and still is] a southeastern driver with an everso special ticket). The guy delighted in telling us of a trip he made to Cornwall and back for free using his London bus pass thingy. I don't suppose he had a comprehensive network in his head but he is a bit of a geek so just might have some insights. If you don't get any joy here I could ask him about his trip at least. C.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » July 2nd, 2022, 8:44 am

A guy like that would instinctively know a great deal of useful information - if you want to get the ball rolling with him, it'd be really good to hear.
In case anyone else is heading towards it, I've already had a chat with Roger French, from Busandtrainuser, who had no definitive suggestions
( https://busandtrainuser.com/about/ )

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 2nd, 2022, 8:54 am

The thought I have when it comes to trying to travel longer distances on local buses, is that it could take you more than a day to get anywhere of any distance. Noting that the passes can't be used on National Express coaches.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 2nd, 2022, 12:25 pm

Hmmm ... well I dunno if this might help: https://www.gov.uk/find-local-bus-services (not as exciting as the url implies!)

Looking for ones from Reading the most westerly destination I can see on a cursory zip through is Reading Buses' No. 1 "jetblack" service to Newbury, which does the 68 stop trip (I assume that qualifies it as a local bus!) in 73 minutes.

So I reckon you could rinse'n'repeat for each onward stage from Newbury with the .gov search.

However, my first thought was along with richfool's, that for Reading to Truro -- 232 miles by road (shortest route) according to google maps -- you'll probably need a hotel stop along the way, which may wipe out any saving over taking a cheap coach ... Reading to Newbury is just 17 miles of that journey. ;)

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » July 2nd, 2022, 12:43 pm

In theory it's possible to get to the vast majority of towns in England using the pensioner's free bus pass. Last year Penny Ibbott travelled roughly 2,200 miles on her pass, circumnavigating the country in six weeks.

"Grandmother, 75, makes 2,200-mile trip around UK using just her free bus pass"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/grandmother-75-makes-2200-mile-25619642

"Penny Ibbott, 75, set off on her six-week bus journey from Chidham, near Chichester, and spent about eight hours a day trekking on buses each day to reach the bed and breakfasts she was staying at."

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19763726.penny-ibbott-westbourne-travelled-round-england-bus/

Take a smartphone so that you can check local bus companies' timetables whilst you're on the move, and bring along a couple of external USB batteries to keep the phone well charged.

Return to “Does anyone know?”