Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

NHS Dental charges with using an HC3 form

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

NHS Dental charges with using an HC3 form

Postby NomoneyNohoney » July 18th, 2022, 5:43 pm

"https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/dentists/what-happens-when-you-visit-the-dentist/"
"When you see your dentist for a check-up, they will first carry out an examination or assessment. This is the first part of each course of NHS treatment and is included in the Band 1 (£23.80) charge."...

"If your dentist recommends a Band 2 or Band 3 dental treatment, you'll be given a personal dental treatment plan (PDF, 19kb) in advance. This outlines all the treatments you are having on the NHS and how much they will cost. If you are not given a treatment plan, ask for one. Treatment plans are usually not given for Band 1 dental treatments, but you can ask for one if you like."

NHS dental charges

There are 3 NHS charge bands:
Band 1: £23.80
Covers an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish, and planning for further treatment.

Band 2: £65.20
Covers all treatment included in Band 1, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment and removing teeth (extractions).

Band 3: £282.80
Covers all treatment included in Bands 1 and 2, plus more complex procedures, such as crowns, dentures and bridges.

+
Recently I became the proud recipient of an HC3 certificate, (Certificate for Limited Help with Health Costs) which says that, "For NHS dental treatment, wigs & fabric supports you pay a maximum of £14.28 per course of treatment or prescribed item"

Today I went to the NHS dentist for the very first time, had a check-up with x-rays, got told I need treatment for gum disease and a filling. At reception afterwards, they asked me to pay £23.80, to which I protested that my form HC3 showed a maximum of £14.28 per course of treatment. They wanted me to pay the £23.80 charge and then recclaim it somehow, but after me protesting they phoned someone for clarification, and eventually accepted a payment of just £14.28.

When I go back for the gum treatment and filling, is that still part of the same "course of treatment", meaning that my £14.28 has already prepaid the attendant costs in full? I'd assume that they must encounter this situation many times a day, but they seemed totally nonplussed with my HC3 form, so I'm checking in advance of my follow-up visit, to get you guys' clarification if I'm due to pay more later on, or whether (as I hope) my small payment has already covered the filling and gum treatment cost, included with the first examination?

I feel that the full price for my treatment should be £65.20 as fillings are Band 2, but with my HC3 form that reduces to the £14.28 I mentioned.

Can anyone confirm the correct interpretation prior to my second visit please? Thanks

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: NHS Dental charges with using an HC3 form

Postby XFool » July 18th, 2022, 5:48 pm

...I have by now pretty well given up on trying to understand "NHS Dental Charges".

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » July 19th, 2022, 3:27 pm

If this is follow-up treatment that is identified as being required in the first appointment, it is the same course of treatment. So I don't think you should pay any more. A course of treatment can be any number of appointments. The only exception could be if the "treatment for gum disease" is an appointment with the private hygienist. They are usually private and not NHS practitioners (in practices I have been a patient of).

I had a scale and polish today, as a follow up to my check up last month. I was a little surprised that it was with the dentist rather than the hygienist, but then when I came to pay it was part of the same course of treatment as the initial check up (so no charge as still in Band 1), whereas the hygienist is private so I've paid separately in the past. I don't always bother to visit the hygienist when I'm recommended to.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 19th, 2022, 3:30 pm

As you were told about it all at the same time, it ONE course of treatment
sounds they are clueless
I hope their dentistry is better than their admin work

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 19th, 2022, 5:10 pm

Loup321 wrote:If this is follow-up treatment that is identified as being required in the first appointment, it is the same course of treatment. So I don't think you should pay any more.

No, that's not how it works (normally, I know nothing of the rules around HC3 forms).

If you go in for a scale & polish and as a result of the examination it's determined that you need additional treatment, like a filling or root canal treatment (shudder!), then the course of treatment would fall under band 2, which would include the band 1 scale & polish and examination, as well as the band 2 additional treatment. So, it's £65.20 for the lot.

However, if the dentist couldn't do the additional treatment in the same appointment as the scale & polish and examination, then you'd pay the band 1 price for that appointment, £23.80, and when you returned for the follow up appointment for the additional treatment you'd pay the band 2 price less the band 1 price already paid. So your second appointment would cost you £65.20 - £23.80 = £41.40.

Of course, some more trusting dentists may ask you for nothing after the first appointment and ask you for the full £65.20 after the second.

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » July 19th, 2022, 6:48 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Loup321 wrote:If this is follow-up treatment that is identified as being required in the first appointment, it is the same course of treatment. So I don't think you should pay any more.

No, that's not how it works (normally, I know nothing of the rules around HC3 forms).

If you go in for a scale & polish and as a result of the examination it's determined that you need additional treatment, like a filling or root canal treatment (shudder!), then the course of treatment would fall under band 2, which would include the band 1 scale & polish and examination, as well as the band 2 additional treatment. So, it's £65.20 for the lot.

However, if the dentist couldn't do the additional treatment in the same appointment as the scale & polish and examination, then you'd pay the band 1 price for that appointment, £23.80, and when you returned for the follow up appointment for the additional treatment you'd pay the band 2 price less the band 1 price already paid. So your second appointment would cost you £65.20 - £23.80 = £41.40.

Of course, some more trusting dentists may ask you for nothing after the first appointment and ask you for the full £65.20 after the second.

The OP stated that the certificate says it's a maximum of £14.28 per course of treatment. As we're agreed that this is a single course of treatment, then there will be nothing further to pay. In mc2fool's example, the total amount payable is the band 2 amount, which in NomoneyNohoney's case is £14.28.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 19th, 2022, 7:20 pm

Loup321 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:

The OP stated that the certificate says it's a maximum of £14.28 per course of treatment. As we're agreed that this is a single course of treatment, then there will be nothing further to pay. In mc2fool's example, the total amount payable is the band 2 amount, which in NomoneyNohoney's case is £14.28.

No need to refer to me in the third person when replying to my post.... ;) As I say, I know nothing of HC3s...

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 20th, 2022, 12:38 pm

pje16 wrote:As you were told about it all at the same time, it ONE course of treatment
sounds they are clueless

I cynically suspect its because very very few dentists are truly NHS these days, but private with NHS treatment available.

The staff as such are not necessarily au fait with the full NHS systems/plans etc etc.

didds

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 20th, 2022, 12:47 pm

didds wrote:
pje16 wrote:As you were told about it all at the same time, it ONE course of treatment
sounds they are clueless

I cynically suspect its because very very few dentists are truly NHS these days, but private with NHS treatment available.

The staff as such are not necessarily au fait with the full NHS systems/plans etc etc.

didds

My dentist and I suspect most others do both types of work
I had a few implants 5 or 6 yeara go and that was private
my normal treatment is done by the same chap (who is brilliant) and that is on the NHS

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 20th, 2022, 12:53 pm

my normal treatment is done by the same chap (who is brilliant) and that is on the NHS

The point being does his admin staff understand all the nuances of NHS charging - which is what I was alluding to, not the actual dentitrsy per se.

didds

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 20th, 2022, 1:04 pm

didds wrote:

The point being does his admin staff understand all the nuances of NHS charging - which is what I was alluding to, not the actual dentitrsy per se.
didds

Yes they do
The NHS charging bands (what it cover and how much) are clearly displayed on a wall in the reception area (close to the desk)
The pracice is owned by him and his wife , they are both top of the game dentists, so doing admin properly is beard and butter stuff to them I guess

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » July 22nd, 2022, 2:46 pm

For interest, here's a link to explanation of charges:-

https://www.mydentist.co.uk/patient-inf ... -and-costs

"Band2 £65.20

Everything in band 1 plus additional treatment* such as:
Fillings
Root canal work
Removing teeth"

This is why I mentioned initially I felt that the charge ought to be Band2 £65.20, with my form reducing it to just £14.28.

*My emboldening.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 22nd, 2022, 8:04 pm

XFool wrote:...I have by now pretty well given up on trying to understand "NHS Dental Charges".

Possibly I should have said "I have by now pretty well given up on trying to understand Dental Charges in general".

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 22nd, 2022, 8:13 pm

XFool wrote:
XFool wrote:...I have by now pretty well given up on trying to understand "NHS Dental Charges".

Possibly I should have said "I have by now pretty well given up on trying to understand Dental Charges in general".

Private dental charges are fairly straightforward. Expensive but not confusing. Figure a crown, implant or root canal will be a grand or more. Extra if you want gold, which I always do. :D

The idea that people would complain about having to pay more than £14.28 for complex dental procedures strikes me as bizarre, especially for a well heeled bunch like us Lemons. But I guess that would lead us down an ideological rabbit hole so I will leave it at that.

The last time I saw a NHS dentist was in 1987. I thought they barely existed any more, except for children's dentistry, which of course I took full advantage of.

Return to “Does anyone know?”