Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Amazon delivery

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Amazon delivery

Postby Gerry557 » July 22nd, 2022, 11:42 am

It's most probably been handed to a neighbour or the delivery company got the wrong address.

I've known some people that accept other people's deliveries and keep them, once even offering to take a parcel as the householder was "out" hoping that the delivery chap wouldn't knock.

Generally if you inform the shop you haven't received your item they send another or give you a refund.

Fortunately we have nice neighbours and know most of the delivery drivers so mistakes are rare.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 22nd, 2022, 12:07 pm

Snorvey wrote:This parcel was let on the doorstep though and the email from Amazon said 'handed to customer'

That has been standard behaviour from Amazon since the start of the pandemic - put the parcel on the doorstep, take a quick snap of it, then press the doorbell (if there is one), and then run away. If you are lucky then you might see the van driving off by the time you get to the door.

What would Amazon do if it was stolen - send you another (probably).

Amazon does have a process for high value items where you are sent a code that you are required to give to the delivery driver before the item is handed over (to prevent you saying “never received”).

If you had too much stuff nicked from your doorstep then I suppose Amazon could move you over to that system, or alternatively tell you ‘tough’ not delivering to you any more and to use a collection point or locker instead.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » July 22nd, 2022, 1:34 pm

I sometimes send tools, such as a router, electric drill, etc. to an ex-colleague who lives in Kenya. Amazon makes this both feasible and simple, I'm very grateful for their service. They calculate import duty and - if needed - refund any over-payment. My friend lives in a rural area about as far from Nairobi as is possible and inevitably it takes a while for the items to arrive. On occasion when items have not arrived in a reasonable time Amazon have sent a replacement without any difficulty on my part. Once when a router went missing they sent another, eventually both arrived. I don't know of another business that offers this sort of service.

RC

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » July 22nd, 2022, 2:49 pm

AF62 wrote:
Snorvey wrote:This parcel was let on the doorstep though and the email from Amazon said 'handed to customer'

That has been standard behaviour from Amazon since the start of the pandemic - put the parcel on the doorstep, take a quick snap of it, then press the doorbell (if there is one), and then run away. If you are lucky then you might see the van driving off by the time you get to the door.

What would Amazon do if it was stolen - send you another (probably).

Amazon does have a process for high value items where you are sent a code that you are required to give to the delivery driver before the item is handed over (to prevent you saying “never received”).

If you had too much stuff nicked from your doorstep then I suppose Amazon could move you over to that system, or alternatively tell you ‘tough’ not delivering to you any more and to use a collection point or locker instead.

I agree with all of the above but I've found the level of dump-it-and-run behaviour varies from delivery driver to delivery driver. I live in a block of flats and on a few occasions I have found everyone's deliveries for that day, maybe 10 or so parcels, all dumped on the doorstep outside the main entrance door which for our block is essentially dumped on the pavement of a public road since the front door to our block is stepped back just under 2 metres from the edge of the pavement with no gate separating it from that pavement. In my experience that has been quite rare though, I've only seen it happen twice in the last year or two.

Many years ago I did had one item from Amazon go missing in transit, a reasonably expensive hard drive in the days before Amazon implemented the delivery code system mentioned by AF62, and in that case Amazon dispatched a replacement with no questions whatsoever.

Personally I would report the incident since I believe that a lot of the Amazon deliveries are done by third party independent operators and if you have an extreme dump-it-and-run operator servicing your (Snorvey's) address just maybe Amazon implements some sort of quality control in terms of warning a subcontractor if his/her performance is causing concern and potentially finding an alternative if problems persist.

- Julian

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 22nd, 2022, 3:01 pm

Julian wrote:Personally I would report the incident since I believe that a lot of the Amazon deliveries are done by third party independent operators and if you have an extreme dump-it-and-run operator servicing your (Snorvey's) address just maybe Amazon implements some sort of quality control in terms of warning a subcontractor if his/her performance is causing concern and potentially finding an alternative if problems persist.

I would suspect that Amazon is only concerned about the level of ‘it didn’t arrive’ cases where they lose money because they have to send a replacement, and not the ‘it was left on the doorstep and might have been stolen but wasn’t’ cases.

Amazon pays its drivers buttons per delivery, so if a driver can deliver twice as many parcels by doing a ‘dump it and run’ but only a very small percentage is stolen - well that still makes financial sense for Amazon.

So on that basis it wouldn’t surprise me if Amazon knows which areas a ‘dump and run’ is a low risk and the drivers are told it is ok (or at least a blind eye turned) and which areas it is utterly unacceptable and drivers are hauled over the coals if they do.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 22nd, 2022, 5:13 pm

My daughter order a fan last week. Was told it had been delivered while she was out. No fan when she returned. Complained to Amazon who said not their problem since it was a 3rd party seller using their own courier. Got in touch with 3rd party seller who said not their problem, speak to Amazon.

Not great!

Joh

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 22nd, 2022, 7:50 pm

redsturgeon wrote:My daughter order a fan last week. Was told it had been delivered while she was out. No fan when she returned. Complained to Amazon who said not their problem since it was a 3rd party seller using their own courier. Got in touch with 3rd party seller who said not their problem, speak to Amazon.

Not great!

Joh

Go back to Amazon and point them at their A to Z guarantee - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/custom ... NECJKTFYQV

And if in the unlikely event of no success (and I would be very surprised if that was the case) then a chargeback to the payment card.

Return to “Does anyone know?”