Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

PM's?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

PM's?

Postby nimnarb » July 30th, 2022, 3:46 am

Not sure which is the correct board to ask this.

Sent a PM to someone(rarely do this) and it still shows that it's in my outbox, plus when I click on sent messages, it doesn't show up that I sent it! Now I think about a year ago I was told that it only shows up when the recipient opens it up, is that correct or am I doing something wrong? Thx.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: PM's?

Postby Itsallaguess » July 30th, 2022, 6:37 am

nimnarb wrote:
Not sure which is the correct board to ask this.

Sent a PM to someone(rarely do this) and it still shows that it's in my outbox, plus when I click on sent messages, it doesn't show up that I sent it!

Now I think about a year ago I was told that it only shows up when the recipient opens it up, is that correct or am I doing something wrong?

Yes - it's a quirk of the board software that a sent PM will sit in your 'Outbox' until the PM is physically opened by the recipient, and only at that point will it move from your 'Outbox' to your 'Sent messages' folder.

I should add that if a still-active board user is not used to keeping an eye on their 'PM notification area', then it's not unusual for received PM's to go unnoticed for fairly lengthy periods sometimes, so if the user you've sent it to is still fairly active on the boards, then I'd suggest maybe finding a recent thread that they're participating in and perhaps just reply with a normal 'reply-post', telling them that you've sent them a PM, which would hopefully then bring it to their attention...

I can understand that there may be circumstances where doing that might not be appropriate though, but if it's important to you that they get visibility of the PM then all I can perhaps suggest there is that if you did go down that 'reply-post' route, there's then the option of quickly asking for the 'Hey, I've sent you a PM' post to be deleted swiftly, if you then report your own post and ask for it to be deleted by one of the mods...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 30th, 2022, 8:05 am

On the rare occasions that I have been sent a PM, it comes up on Notifications to tell me. I do not have a specific PM Notification area and it is in the list containing Thanks or that I have been quoted. Is that how it works for everyone?

Dod

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 30th, 2022, 8:24 am

Dod101 wrote:On the rare occasions that I have been sent a PM, it comes up on Notifications to tell me. I do not have a specific PM Notification area and it is in the list containing Thanks or that I have been quoted. Is that how it works for everyone?

Dod

Yes and no. :D If you click on Notifications and then on Settings at the top right of the popup you'll get to ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options which lets you set your notification options: i.e. which events results in a notification in the Notifications list and/or a notification being sent to you by email (and you can turn both off for an event). I know I dickered with mine so I'm not sure what the defaults are ... if you've never changed yours maybe you can tells us?

However, just to the right of Notifications there is Private messages [0], which goes bold and the [0] changes to [n] if you have n unread PMs... ;)

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 30th, 2022, 8:28 am

Dod101 wrote:
On the rare occasions that I have been sent a PM, it comes up on Notifications to tell me.

I do not have a specific PM Notification area and it is in the list containing Thanks or that I have been quoted.

Is that how it works for everyone?

When I get a PM, I will see it initially in the 'Notifications' field that I've received a PM, but also as a separate new entity in the 'Private Messages' field as well -

Source - this website

Currently in the above fields, I've neither any new notifications (0) or any private messages (0), but if I were to receive a new PM under the above configuration, both figures would go to (1)

I should also add that on my Firefox browser, when either figure changes from (0), I also see the changed figure in brackets on the actual Lemon Fool tab-title in my Firefox browser, which is an additional helpful visual cue that there's a new notification in the above fields. I think this might be similar for other browsers too...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess
Last edited by Itsallaguess on July 30th, 2022, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 30th, 2022, 8:33 am

mc2fool wrote:
Dod101 wrote:On the rare occasions that I have been sent a PM, it comes up on Notifications to tell me. I do not have a specific PM Notification area and it is in the list containing Thanks or that I have been quoted. Is that how it works for everyone?

Dod

Yes and no. :D If you click on Notifications and then on Settings at the top right of the popup you'll get to ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options which lets you set your notification options: i.e. which events results in a notification in the Notifications list and/or a notification being sent to you by email (and you can turn both off for an event). I know I dickered with mine so I'm not sure what the defaults are ... if you've never changed yours maybe you can tells us?

However, just to the right of Notifications there is Private messages [0], which goes bold and the [0] changes to [n] if you have n unread PMs... ;)

To be honest I have never knowingly touched anything in that area. If I am in receipt of a PM, I get a message in Notifications and of course a (1) in the Private messages box alongside. Outgoing ones sit in the Outbox until the recipient cares to open it (or not) and it then moves to Sent. I have had one sitting in my Outbox for months, so either the recipient does not want the benefit of my wisdom(!) or they no longer contribute. I thought that that was simply how it works and have never thought to delve any more deeply.

Dod

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » July 30th, 2022, 4:48 pm

Thx all. Much clearer now.

Return to “Does anyone know?”