Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

DBS check

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

DBS check

Postby Sunnypad » September 22nd, 2022, 1:18 pm

DAK if a standard or enhanced DBS check will show if someone was in prison in another country?

Thanks.

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: DBS check

Postby pje16 » September 22nd, 2022, 1:57 pm

DBS is unable to access criminal records held overseas, so a DBS check may not provide a complete view of an applicant’s criminal record, if they have lived outside of the UK.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/dbs-check-r ... -employers

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » September 22nd, 2022, 3:01 pm

Thank you pie, much appreciated.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 22nd, 2022, 3:44 pm

pje16 wrote:DBS is unable to access criminal records held overseas, so a DBS check may not provide a complete view of an applicant’s criminal record, if they have lived outside of the UK.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/dbs-check-r ... -employers

The question was actually about having served a prison term and not the existence of a criminal record. I do not know if a record of a conviction actually indicates that the person served a custodial sentence.

The one time I ran a criminal check on someone I was told that only offences going back 7 years would be shown. I would assume that records that have been later expunged would also be hidden from view. Also note that convictions of under-age offenders are typically sealed from view, at least in the UK and presumably in some other countries as well.

And if a person is applying to immigrate to the UK then I would imagine that a more invasive background check is performed, that may reveal offences that a standard DBS check would not.

Return to “Does anyone know?”