Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Ditching my landline

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
hassettp

Ditching my landline

Postby hassettp » September 28th, 2022, 6:25 am

Hi
I'm planning to switch from BT to Zen interest when my current contract ends.

Have people encountered any issues with ditching their landline (I never use it)?

I'm wondering if registering for some services online insist on a landline, etc.?

Peter

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Ditching my landline

Postby swill453 » September 28th, 2022, 6:38 am

I haven't had a landline for 4 years. Or rather I do, but I don't have a phone connected and don't know the number.

This has caused no issues. I give my mobile number when required, and this has invariably been fine.

Scott.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 28th, 2022, 6:52 am

swill453 wrote:I haven't had a landline for 4 years. Or rather I do, but I don't have a phone connected and don't know the number.

This has caused no issues. I give my mobile number when required, and this has invariably been fine.

Scott.

Exactly the same here.

The reason I keep a landline is for the broadband, even though the wireless service that comes with my phone rivals it. the Vodafone signal here goes down for a day or two once in a while, and I need the reliability. The landline goes down periodically for an hour or a day every so often too, but so far I've always had one or the other!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 28th, 2022, 7:19 am

Mike4 wrote:
swill453 wrote:I haven't had a landline for 4 years. Or rather I do, but I don't have a phone connected and don't know the number.

Scott.

Exactly the same here.

The reason I keep a landline is for the broadband, even though the wireless service that comes with my phone rivals it. the Vodafone signal here goes down for a day or two once in a while, and I need the reliability. The landline goes down periodically for an hour or a day every so often too, but so far I've always had one or the other!

But could you get a "naked service" (stop giggling you!) where its broadband on the same twisted copper line without the circuit switched voice service (and then use a SIP on the same number)
?
Most of the charging for this stuff is "how to fleece a punter" tosh

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » September 28th, 2022, 7:46 am

Further reading… viewtopic.php?f=39&t=36086

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » September 28th, 2022, 9:51 am

Friend of mine lives in a very rural location.

EE mobile network gives faster internet than ADSL. So he has dumped his landline.
He wanted to keep his geographic number for business, so it is re-routed to his mobile.

Both services for which he pays of course. But for him the issue was speed/convenience rather than cost.

I don't know of anybody who demands a landline anymore. Even businesses don't pay extra to call mobiles these days.

Gryff

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 28th, 2022, 9:59 am

servodude wrote:But could you get a "naked service" (stop giggling you!) where its broadband on the same twisted copper line without the circuit switched voice service (and then use a SIP on the same number)
?

I'm not paying very much for my decent broadband service. The fact that the same bit of copper is providing a potential phone service too, with calls included and all, is of no importance to me.

Scott.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 28th, 2022, 10:17 am

swill453 wrote:
servodude wrote:But could you get a "naked service" (stop giggling you!) where its broadband on the same twisted copper line without the circuit switched voice service (and then use a SIP on the same number)
?

I'm not paying very much for my decent broadband service. The fact that the same bit of copper is providing a potential phone service too, with calls included and all, is of no importance to me.

Scott.

Indeed as the consumer it isn't important (not should it be)
But to the stuff at the exchange it literally makes a lot of difference
- and that's not very well explained

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 28th, 2022, 10:19 am

servodude wrote:
swill453 wrote:
?

Then the question is - Why can't my provider give me an even cheaper service without the landline option?

Scott.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 28th, 2022, 10:20 am

swill453 wrote:
servodude wrote:
swill453 wrote:
?

Then the question is - Why can't my provider give me an even cheaper service without the landline option?

Scott.

By golly they should... mine does!
How badly regulated are your ISP?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 28th, 2022, 10:32 am

servodude wrote:By golly they should... mine does!

See https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/broad ... broadband/ "You can get broadband without the phone line, but it'll likely cost more".

Scott.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 28th, 2022, 10:41 am

swill453 wrote:
servodude wrote:By golly they should... mine does!

See https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/broad ... broadband/ "You can get broadband without the phone line, but it'll likely cost more".

Scott.

Don't doubt it
If you let folk with what's essentially a monopoly of supply determine what they charge folk - that's what happens

Dropping the switched line here and doubling the broadband throughput cut our costs by 40% - which made sense because there's less work not keeping the signals apart

Return to “Does anyone know?”