Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

lost whatsapp messages...

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
didds
Lemon Half

lost whatsapp messages...

Postby didds » December 20th, 2023, 12:17 pm

If a tragic accidernt was to happen and a mobile phone got crushed and the sim no longer working... so whatsapp messages couldnt be read...

Could a replacement sim from same air time provider with same number, placed in another phone not retrieve them? I was under the possibly mistaken impression that WA accounts are tied to a number ?

Of course if one had lost a phone and sim and has a totally new number and cannot recall the details of the old number and provider... I suppose THEN youd be scuppered.

(Any resemblance to current affairs may be totally coincidental - Im after the DAK answer, hence asking here)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: lost whatsapp messages...

Postby Mike4 » December 20th, 2023, 12:42 pm

I'd suggest if the phone were an iPhone, it will have been backed up automatically and continuously to the iCloud, in which case a new sim fitted into a new phone will download the lot and make the new phone a clone of the old in every way.

And both Boris and Rishi use iPhones, or so I'm pretty sure I've heard both of them say. Not that this is relevant in any way, obviously.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 20th, 2023, 1:25 pm

didds wrote:If a tragic accidernt was to happen and a mobile phone got crushed and the sim no longer working... so whatsapp messages couldnt be read...

Could a replacement sim from same air time provider with same number, placed in another phone not retrieve them? I was under the possibly mistaken impression that WA accounts are tied to a number ?

Of course if one had lost a phone and sim and has a totally new number and cannot recall the details of the old number and provider... I suppose THEN youd be scuppered.

(Any resemblance to current affairs may be totally coincidental - Im after the DAK answer, hence asking here)

The number you use for whatsapp does not have to be the same as the number of the phone you run whatsapp on.

If you ring my whatsapp number then I do not know who would answer it, but it would not be me!

I delete all whatsapp messages every few days anyway, so cannot really understand all the fuss about this.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » December 20th, 2023, 2:08 pm

Moderator Message:
Just heading things off here - but please note this is posted in DAK (as mentioned by the OP as well!) - so direct answers to the question only please.

Any discussion of current affairs that may be related in some way to this question is off-topic on this board, and may be deleted (chas49)

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » December 20th, 2023, 2:32 pm

didds wrote:If a tragic accidernt was to happen and a mobile phone got crushed and the sim no longer working... so whatsapp messages couldnt be read...

Could a replacement sim from same air time provider with same number, placed in another phone not retrieve them?

Have a look at Settings / Chats / Chat backup and see what you have set there. Whatsapp store nothing, so either you have nothing, or you are backing up to Google Drive or iCloud. It is possible to backup locally as well, but that does not help if the phone is physically destroyed.....

You could also have a look at Settings / Account / Change number, if you think it could be relevant.

Return to “Does anyone know?”