Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

"Collectors" coins..

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
didds
Lemon Half

"Collectors" coins..

Postby didds » December 20th, 2023, 2:50 pm

I possess (cant recall how or why, I didn't buy them!) two "collectors" coins in "display" cases (cardboard sleeves basically)

A Millennium £5 coin (cupro Nickel)
A Rugby World Cup 2003 AUD$5 coin (Al/Zn Bronze)

a general google/ebay search doesnt indicate they are worth much at all. But TBH I dont really want them! But equally CBA to fraff about with ebay.

I could presumably take the £5 coin down the pub...

any thoughts/ideas?

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: "Collectors" coins..

Postby staffordian » December 20th, 2023, 4:10 pm

Re the commemorative £5 coin, I seem to recall that some, contrary to normal logic, are not actuall legal tender. I'm not sure how you find out though, apart from taking it to the pub to try it :D

Edit:The Royal Mint have this to say...

Traditionally, crowns had a face value of 25p (or 5 shillings prior to decimalisation in February 1971). In 1990, the face value was increased to £5 to give the coin a value consistent with its weight and size - in relation to those of the then current range of coins.

Each crown issue is authorised by Royal Proclamation in accordance with the requirements laid down by the Coinage Act 1971. This means that, just like other coins in general circulation, a crown has legal tender status.

Most people would not wish to exchange a piece but, in recognition of the fact that some people may wish to do so, some banks will allow crowns to be deposited into bank accounts. However, please note that, whilst the coins are legal tender, banks are not obliged to accept the coins (please refer to guidelines on legal tender status). Policies on accepting crowns do vary and it is therefore advisable to check with your bank in advance.

https://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-c ... ound-coin/

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » December 20th, 2023, 4:50 pm

Oh well. Bottom drawer at the back and Ill refind them in 2035.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 20th, 2023, 5:12 pm

didds wrote:Oh well. Bottom drawer at the back and Ill refind them in 2035.

There is a guy buying and selling coins in a stall at the Monday antique market in Taunton. His name is Glenn Ogden and, as well as his stall most Mondays he does various local shows across the Southwest. I have spoken to him a couple of times about my coins and, although he wasn't interested in them, he was friendly and informative. He was most interested in coins that are both rare and in perfect condition. So that jar of your grandfather's farthings are probably worth about that much.

https://www.glennogdencoins.com/

You will also find valuations of various different types of coins on his website. And a calendar of his events.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » December 20th, 2023, 5:42 pm

Drop them into your local charity shop and let them sort them out :) I tried to sell a soundbar on Ebay, boxed and everything, started at £25 and had no bids, so I gave it to BHF. I kept a search running and saw they ebayed an identical one a few weeks later and got over £30 for it!.

Return to “Does anyone know?”