Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Scammers

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
anteos

Scammers

Postby anteos » January 14th, 2024, 12:00 pm

Hello

I have a debit card/current account which I use when I go abroad. I used it during the summer and after the holiday I stored the card in a safe place. Like a numpty I'd forgotten where that place was. So I used the banks app to order a new card.

The card came yesterday morning in a discreet plastic bag and the card was inside a sliding box.

However a few hours later I got a scam call from a private number. It was the usual dodgy transactions on your account and proceeded to give me the last four digits of my card. Obviously I gave no info and ended the call.

So I got in tocuh with the bank via the app. Obviously there were no transactions on my card, but they didnt give me an answer as to why or how this happened.

I've never had a call from a scammer before, and I found it very suspicious that I recieved a call after getting the new card. Anyone know how this happened. All I can think of is that they have a mole in the bank/post office?

thanks in advance.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Scammers

Postby DrFfybes » January 14th, 2024, 1:35 pm

If you cancelled the old card and ordered new, then the number should be different. However going through old paperwork I see our credit card number hasn't changed for over a decade, the new card just has a different expiry date.

anteos wrote:However a few hours later I got a scam call from a private number. It was the usual dodgy transactions on your account and proceeded to give me the last four digits of my card. Obviously I gave no info and ended the call.

IF the card number is the same, they have the number of a card you used overseas a few months ago, and your phone number, and I would put it down to coincidence.

If the new card has a different numbre then something is wrong at the bank. Even then I thought the card manufacturer only had access to your name and address. Was the call on a publicly listed landline?

Paul

clissold345
2 Lemon pips

Postby clissold345 » January 14th, 2024, 1:43 pm

Was the package tampered with in the post? Did the scammer ring on landline or mobile?

anteos

Postby anteos » January 14th, 2024, 2:00 pm

The card is the type which has no card number on it. This has caused problems when I've been asked for the card number, but then have to use the app to get the card number.

The package had not been tampered with. And the call was listed as private.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » January 14th, 2024, 4:31 pm

Inside job at the bank/institution ? Rare but it has happened.

Case on BBC TV programme last week 'Scam Interceptors' where scammers in India had bought a spreadsheet with thousands of customer details who had took out a loan with a legitimate UK FCA registered company. The loan company was either hacked or an insider sold the spreadsheet.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » January 15th, 2024, 9:59 am

anteos wrote:Hello

All I can think of is that they have a mole in the bank/post office?

thanks in advance.

This can definitely be a thing. Back in the days when cheques were still widely used, we received a new cheque book through the post. It was very obvious what was in the package. On checking, four cheques had been carefully removed from the book, including the stubs. One of these was subsequently used in an attempt to take several £000s out of our account.

DM

Return to “Does anyone know?”