Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Energy Comparison Sites

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Energy Comparison Sites

Postby Maroochydore » January 23rd, 2024, 7:12 pm

I was looking at alternative energy suppliers today. I used the Which? comparison utility.

I checked my previous annual usage via an old spreadsheet knowing they usually ask one to enter such data.

Put the house address and current supplier in as requested and the various quotes came up as requested but instead of asking me how much energy I used, it was pre-entered. It was more or less the same as my spreadsheet figure for both gas and electric.

I was a bit taken aback. I can't believe it entered a random average figure so close to the actual figures so my usage data must be available somewhere, obviously with my current supplier.

So, do energy companies centrally share this data per address or is there something else going on?

modellingman
Lemon Slice

Re: Energy Comparison Sites

Postby modellingman » January 29th, 2024, 3:01 pm

Maroochydore wrote:I was looking at alternative energy suppliers today. I used the Which? comparison utility.

I checked my previous annual usage via an old spreadsheet knowing they usually ask one to enter such data.

Put the house address and current supplier in as requested and the various quotes came up as requested but instead of asking me how much energy I used, it was pre-entered. It was more or less the same as my spreadsheet figure for both gas and electric.

I was a bit taken aback. I can't believe it entered a random average figure so close to the actual figures so my usage data must be available somewhere, obviously with my current supplier.

So, do energy companies centrally share this data per address or is there something else going on?

For gas there is something called the Gas Enquiry Service whose users can include price comparison websites. See https://www.xoserve.com/products-servic ... rvice-ges/

I am not sure if there is an equivalent service for electricity.

modellingman

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 29th, 2024, 3:23 pm

Maroochydore wrote:So, do energy companies centrally share this data per address or is there something else going on?

I think they do - I had the same thing last time I did it.

Did you actually get any savings? - All I could see is they were all bouncing off the govt cap and the only differences were the odd fixed ones, which were all more expensive.

Paul

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » January 29th, 2024, 7:57 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Did you actually get any savings?

Short answer is No.

However I did find one supplier - can't remember who now - whose units rates were only slightly more than my present deal but their daily standing charge was much lower (something like 36p v the average 56p for electric) however the kicker was they included boiler cover insurance at £20 per month and it was not optional. That made it much more expensive.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » January 29th, 2024, 9:22 pm

Based on Cornwall Insights latest forecasts energy unit rates will fall next quarter, 19% in the case of electricity, but for people who are low energy users the benefit is entirely eradicated by the criminally high forecast 31% increase in the electricity standing charge.

So someone who can't afford to put the heating on at all will face a hike in their bills whilst someone who can afford to heat their dwelling toasty warm will get a saving.

Why is their not more fuss made about this progressive injustice?

Return to “Does anyone know?”