Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Letters after a name

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
the0ni0nking
Lemon Slice

Re: Letters after a name

Postby the0ni0nking » February 2nd, 2024, 6:45 pm

One of the elements not covered by any of the discussions so far which seems to becoming increasingly prevalent in the corporate world now (and if I'm honest just irritates me) is that individuals now put "he/him", "she/her" etc also after their name.

I've no idea how Debrett's suggest that is dealt with or where it is positioned.

Similar to what others have said - other than on my CV (which is now a good few years out of date), I don't reference anything after my name and nor do the overwhelming majority of finance professionals I work with.

I think pretty much everyone - certainly within our organisation but likely also with any clients that we might interact with - know that to have reached a certain level of seniority it's a given that you're a qualified accountant (and in our case that would mean either ACA, ACCA or CIMA) and putting anything after your name is likely just to make people think you're a prick.

That said, if I were dealing with HMRC providing tax services to clients - which I'm not qualified to do - but if I were I'd probably reference the relevant qualifications if only to show a level of study/ongoing professional development and competence/diligence around any submissions.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 4th, 2024, 12:52 pm

Bminusrob wrote:I seem to remember an "I'm sorry, I'll read that again" sketch involving Mr Something Something OBE BSc and Webbs Wonder. He had lettuce after his name. OK I'll get my coat.

Not forgetting Arnold Rimmer BSc in 'Red Dwarf'. Apparently for Bronze Swimming certificate. 8-)

I still remember someone on a music forum many years ago, who always put a long string of letters after his name. Poor guy must have had a problem. Most letters were unknown but on searching, they were from obscure organisations that supposedly allowed you to use the letters - as long as you paid the annuals subs.

Steve

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 4th, 2024, 1:06 pm

stevensfo wrote:I still remember someone on a music forum many years ago, who always put a long string of letters after his name. Poor guy must have had a problem. Most letters were unknown but on searching, they were from obscure organisations that supposedly allowed you to use the letters - as long as you paid the annuals subs.

Professional institutions allow you to use letters so long as you pay the subs. If you're a Chartered professional, that's by virtue of membership of a professional body with a royal charter, meaning you pay your subscription to that professional body. I've not been a chartered anything since I let my subscription to the IMA lapse.

I expect the subscription applies even at the giddy heights of FRS. Let alone run-of-the-mill Chartered Engineer, Accountant, Surveyor, etc.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » February 4th, 2024, 1:13 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
stevensfo wrote:I still remember someone on a music forum many years ago, who always put a long string of letters after his name. Poor guy must have had a problem. Most letters were unknown but on searching, they were from obscure organisations that supposedly allowed you to use the letters - as long as you paid the annuals subs.

Professional institutions allow you to use letters so long as you pay the subs. If you're a Chartered professional, that's by virtue of membership of a professional body with a royal charter, meaning you pay your subscription to that professional body. I've not been a chartered anything since I let my subscription to the IMA lapse.

I expect the subscription applies even at the giddy heights of FRS. Let alone run-of-the-mill Chartered Engineer, Accountant, Surveyor, etc.

It applies unless you are a life member or have an Honorary Fellowship in most cases. I happen to have both, as it happens.

TJH

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » March 7th, 2024, 10:40 am

Nemo wrote:Suppose a person had the following:

1. A military decoration for valour, say MC (Military Cross)
2. A university degree, say BA.
3. A professional qualification, say FCA (Chartered Accountant)

In what order should these be written after a person’s name? I imagine that the BA and FCA are interchangeable but where would the MC go? I do remember seeing something about this many, many years ago so I know there is (or was) a correct way of doing this.

This is an interesting one, I consulted my reference books. In England the MC goes straight after your surname, In Scotland it goes right before.

Those Picts painted quite a picture when they gave the Romans merry hell.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » March 7th, 2024, 12:14 pm

Nemo wrote:Suppose a person had the following:

1. A military decoration for valour, say MC (Military Cross)
2. A university degree, say BA.
3. A professional qualification, say FCA (Chartered Accountant)

In what order should these be written after a person’s name? I imagine that the BA and FCA are interchangeable but where would the MC go? I do remember seeing something about this many, many years ago so I know there is (or was) a correct way of doing this.

According to this site (admittedly only the first one that appeard on my Google search (https://www.lboro.ac.uk/students/gradua ... l-letters/), the order is

Post-nominal letters should be listed in the following order:

Civil honours
Military honours
Appointments (e.g. MP, QC)
Higher Education awards (in ascending order, commencing with undergraduate)
Membership of academic or professional bodies
For example, Salim Al-Qahtani BSc DPS, PGCE

Elizabeth Stevenson BSc, MSc, PhD, FIMechE

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » March 7th, 2024, 12:15 pm

Moderator Message:
Can I remind everyone that the DAK board is for "Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please"

Please stick to answering the OP's question.

(chas49)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 7th, 2024, 4:43 pm

WickedLester wrote:This is an interesting one, I consulted my reference books. In England the MC goes straight after your surname, In Scotland it goes right before.

So north of the border one might be Mr. Angus MC McTavish ?

Return to “Does anyone know?”