Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

"Hello this is John, your local energy advisor".

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
didds
Lemon Half

Re: "Hello this is John, your local energy advisor".

Postby didds » February 28th, 2024, 10:03 am

XFool wrote:Interestingly, watching an edition of the BBC 1 programme 'Spam Interceptors' the other day, they mentioned that the scammers know by calling numbers during the middle of the day that most people answering from home will not be of working age. i.e. Older, retired people.

So not always entirely random then?

errr... that's not a specific target obviously. Its just what you get when you call during the day and its answered?

aside from the unemployed, the shift workers, those on leave... and those that work from home now obviously.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 28th, 2024, 10:24 am

didds wrote:
XFool wrote:Interestingly, watching an edition of the BBC 1 programme 'Spam Interceptors' the other day, they mentioned that the scammers know by calling numbers during the middle of the day that most people answering from home will not be of working age. i.e. Older, retired people.

So not always entirely random then?

errr... that's not a specific target obviously. Its just what you get when you call during the day and its answered?

aside from the unemployed, the shift workers, those on leave... and those that work from home now obviously.

The interesting (well, it interests me!) ongoing question here - relating to both scam/spam phone calls and emails - is: Why does there appear to be very large differences between what different people report on these matters?

OK. Some people will receive more, some people less. This will vary over time and from place to place. Numbers. Random. OK. But, it appears to me, going on what I see others reporting, that it is not so much a question of numbers as of scale and that involving orders of magnitude... Not "random"?

I know I am not lying when I say I don't receive spam calls, emails. Assuming people reporting seemingly MASSIVE numbers of spam are not lying also, then how to account for this scale of difference? It feels to me beyond "random". From one post above, showing rates of spam calls to a relative, it shows more such calls in a month than I have received over the last 25 years. Many times more.

It's not that I have not received spam landline phone calls and emails in the past, I have. I reacted to them the way that I did at the time. It has (seemingly) all died away and stopped. Why is this seemingly not the experience of others? It seems a mystery. Is it a real mystery or only an apparent mystery?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 28th, 2024, 12:00 pm

XFool wrote:I know I am not lying when I say I don't receive spam calls, emails.

Congratulations!!! You have beaten the spammers. :D

Click here :arrow: to collect your prize!!!!

Return to “Does anyone know?”