Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

fictitious discount...?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Tedx
Lemon Quarter

fictitious discount...?

Postby Tedx » March 22nd, 2024, 11:52 am

I bought an ex display roof box for my van yesterday from a well know motoring supplier.

I wasn't intending buying a roof box, although me and the missus had talked about it. Anyway, I had popped in to the store for something else and saw this roof box for sale for a price of £183. Not bad I thought and I was even more interested when I saw it was reduced from £999 (it is a large roof box). I asked the asistant if it really was on sale for £999 in the past and she said it was.

I messaged the missus with a photo of the box and the price label and she pretty much bought it within the hour.

It wasn't until I got home that I had a poke around the internet to find that there isn't anything on their website that's anywhere near £999.

So a little bit of sneakyness from them? Hmmm.

I chatted to a sales advisor online and they can't find the product code (what a surprise). Its on my receipt and on the photo I took. All I want them to do is confirm whether it really was sold at £999 previously. It could be a mistake....it could be true....or it could be a bit of a swizz.

What do others think?

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: fictitious discount...?

Postby stevensfo » March 22nd, 2024, 12:42 pm

Tedx wrote:I bought an ex display roof box for my van yesterday from a well know motoring supplier.

I wasn't intending buying a roof box, although me and the missus had talked about it. Anyway, I had popped in to the store for something else and saw this roof box for sale for a price of £183. Not bad I thought and I was even more interested when I saw it was reduced from £999 (it is a large roof box). I asked the asistant if it really was on sale for £999 in the past and she said it was.

I messaged the missus with a photo of the box and the price label and she pretty much bought it within the hour.

It wasn't until I got home that I had a poke around the internet to find that there isn't anything on their website that's anywhere near £999.

I chatted to a sales advisor online and they can't find the product code (what a surprise). Its on my receipt and on the photo I took. All I want them to do is confirm whether it really was sold at £999 previously. It could be a mistake....it could be true....or it could be a bit of a swizz.

What do others think?

a well know motoring supplier I thought there's only one in the UK, Halfords?

If the law hasn't changed, then I think they only have to advertise it at £999 for one nanosecond in order to claim that it's been reduced.

I assume that you're talking about what we used to call a granny box, simply cos it was the right size for a human to lie in. ;) On the continent, they're used mostly for ski gear. Yes, they do vary in size, don't they. As long as not filled with very heavy stuff, they're incredibly useful and can be used as a threat for obnoxious, noisy young kids! 8-)

I think you got a bargain. Just spend time making sure it's really well secured! Yes, it was a bit of a swizz. But isn't everything these days?

Steve

PS Candid camera prank: put a walkie talkie/ WiFi speaker inside, then when you're stopped with people around, start shouting, "Are we there yet? Can I come out? Daddy, I need a wee! Help, help, I'm being kidnapped" etc. :lol:

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » March 22nd, 2024, 12:49 pm

It's been an offence since 1968 to give a miseading indication as to price. This was originally introduced by the Trade Descriptions Act 1968, and is now covered by the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

As far as I am aware, if a price is offered at a discount by reference to a previous price, then the item must have been available at the higher price for at least 28 consecutive days in the previous six months.

Enforcement is the responsiblity of the relevant local authority Trading Standards Department.

(Edit to add:) If it's a chain store, then the item just needs to have been available in one branch at the higher price, so that does give larger retailers a bit of a way out....

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » March 22nd, 2024, 12:52 pm

stevensfo wrote:If the law hasn't changed, then I think they only have to advertise it at £999 for one nanosecond in order to claim that it's been reduced.

See my post above. It's more than a nanosecond :)

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » March 22nd, 2024, 12:56 pm

Thanks chaps.

Yeah it's fairly big. We'd mainly be using it to store the memory foam mattress, so not too heavy. A few more things might go in there too, but not much.

The £183 doesn't include the fitting kit and fitting. I'd like a few quid off for pointing out their problem and coming to them first, rather than going to Trading Standards or social media.

Saying that, if it's correct, I won't moan about it

I have been referred up the food chain.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 22nd, 2024, 1:26 pm

Tedx wrote:Thanks chaps.

Yeah it's fairly big. We'd mainly be using it to store the memory foam mattress, so not too heavy. A few more things might go in there too, but not much.

The £183 doesn't include the fitting kit and fitting. I'd like a few quid off for pointing out their problem and coming to them first, rather than going to Trading Standards or social media.

Saying that, if it's correct, I won't moan about it

I have been referred up the food chain.

From my experience, the roof box is sold assuming that you already have the appropriate rails on the roof. You have to provide these yourself for the simple reason that every car has different dimensions. Remember that the roof rails are fitted for a few reasons. A simple rail to fix a clamp to hold skis or just for transporting stuff to the local tip. Fortunately they're not usually expensive, though please fit them as tightly as possible.

Sorry, but I have never heard of roof boxes being fitted professionally, though I'm sure that Halfords will do it for a litre of blood, disclaimer and claims on your soul. In any case, tighten every single screw yourself!! ;) Oh, and never brake too fast, unless you want a hilarious scene worthy of Mr Bean!

Steve

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 22nd, 2024, 4:47 pm

Tedx wrote:I bought an ex display roof box for my van yesterday from a well know motoring supplier.

What do others think?

What, this one?

Picture created in Bing Images (may or not pass a likeness to any vehicle currently in existence or not ;) ) using

https://www.bing.com/images/create/a-bl ... ajaxserp=0

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » March 22nd, 2024, 6:17 pm

Moderator Message:
Much as I enjoyed the image posted above, can we stick to factual answers please as this is DAK. I'll let the post stand for now, but if there is further off-topic discussion, the moderators may delete those posts (and possibly the post above). Thanks (chas49)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 22nd, 2024, 7:02 pm

monabri wrote:

What do others think?

What, this one?

Picture created in Bing Images (may or not pass a likeness to any vehicle currently in existence or not ;) ) using

This is a link to the T&Cs relating to the use of generated images. Having read through the terms and Code of Conduct I see no reason to believe that my above post breeches the conditions.

"Using Image Creator. Your use of Image Creator must comply with the Code of Conduct ("Code of Conduct"). By using Image Creator, you are affirming that you have read the Terms of Use and Code of Conduct, understand it, and abide by it. You may not use the Image Creator in a way that may significantly harm other individuals, organizations, or society.

You must use Image Creator and the generated Creations only (i) in a lawful manner and in compliance with all applicable laws; (ii) in accordance with this Agreement, the Code of Conduct, Microsoft Services Agreement, or other Microsoft documentation directed to the Service; and (iii) in a manner that does not infringe or attempt to infringe, misappropriate or otherwise violate any of our rights or those of any other person or entity (for clarity, "manner" includes without limitation the method, purpose and/or means of causing or attempting to cause Image Creator to generate content).

Creations may not be unique across users and Image Creator may generate the same or similar output for Microsoft or other users. Other users may input similar Prompts and receive the same, similar or different Creations.

Image Creator may include advertising.

You may cease use of Image Creator at any time. If you do not wish to use Image Creator, you may choose not to visit the Image Creator website or engage with Image Creator. If you wish to terminate your Microsoft Account, please see the Microsoft Services Agreement."

The post was "in jest" and I hope I have not upset "Colin" in any way!

monabri

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » March 22nd, 2024, 9:41 pm

Nah. All in good fun. Still waiting to hear back from the UKs largest motoring retailer.

Return to “Does anyone know?”