Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

9ct Gold item without hallmark - or where is the mark?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

9ct Gold item without hallmark - or where is the mark?

Postby Clariman » July 4th, 2017, 2:14 pm

We have a 9ct Gold locket pendant with glass and photos on both side. I think I have identified the photos on it - as a distant relation born around 1895. In the pictures she looks about 4 one one side and 12 or 14 on the other, so that would place the date of the later photo around 1907 to 1909 which I would say matches the style of it.

The only marking I can find on it is "9ct" which is on the border on the reverse. However, I cannot find a hallmark anywhere. Should there not be one somewhere? There is a gold chain and the locket pendant itself. Should they both be hall-marked?

I'm trying to work out the date and the place it came from, as part of family history.

Thanks
Clariman

Dod1010
Lemon Quarter

Re: 9ct Gold item without hallmark - or where is the mark?

Postby Dod1010 » July 4th, 2017, 2:25 pm

It might be a fake or it might have been bought overseas, although not the Far East as they would almost certainly claim that it was at least 18 ct if not higher. Otherwise I cannot help I am sorry to say. I am interested to watch the thread though.

Dod

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » July 4th, 2017, 2:41 pm

Just found a website saying that hallmarking only became compulsory in 1973 but I don't know if that is true. I've had a jeweller and an auction house look at it and they both said it was Gold but I stupidly didn't ask about dates. :oops:

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 4th, 2017, 3:30 pm

Clariman wrote:We have a 9ct Gold locket pendant with glass and photos on both side. I think I have identified the photos on it - as a distant relation born around 1895. In the pictures she looks about 4 one one side and 12 or 14 on the other, so that would place the date of the later photo around 1907 to 1909 which I would say matches the style of it.

The only marking I can find on it is "9ct" which is on the border on the reverse. However, I cannot find a hallmark anywhere. Should there not be one somewhere? There is a gold chain and the locket pendant itself. Should they both be hall-marked?

I'm trying to work out the date and the place it came from, as part of family history.

Thanks
Clariman

It may be that the hallmark has rubbed off with polishing/cleaning but it would probably leave a trace. I know you say you can't find one anywhere but have you looked inside the pendant and have you used a magnifying glass or equivalent?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 4th, 2017, 3:34 pm

Clariman wrote:Just found a website saying that hallmarking only became compulsory in 1973 but I don't know if that is true. I've had a jeweller and an auction house look at it and they both said it was Gold but I stupidly didn't ask about dates. :oops:

As per https://www.assayofficelondon.co.uk/hal ... a-hallmark :

The UK Hallmarking Act (1973) states that it is an offence for any person, in the course of trade or business, to describe an un-hallmarked article as being wholly or partly made of precious metal(s) or to supply un-hallmarked articles to which such a description is applied.

Not everything had to be hallmarked, unless you are trying to sell it. That's why auction house used to (may still do) describe un-hallmarked silver as white metal.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » July 4th, 2017, 6:13 pm

It is possible to get it assayed and hallmarked. A reputable jeweller should be able to do this for you. I had a gold brooch of my great grandmothers hallmarked as I wanted to know the value for my house insurance.

R6

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 4th, 2017, 6:23 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:It is possible to get it assayed and hallmarked. ...

Yes but won't that be with the date of the hallmark. Clariman is trying to date the pendant.

SlugPizza

Postby SlugPizza » July 5th, 2017, 4:17 pm

Further to previous answers - gold from some countries do/did not carry quality marks - some larger dealers in gold have behind the scenes a mass-spectrometer which when used with accurate scales can tell you if the item is plated (gold washed is another term) or solid 9ct etc.

I wear some "gold" that is fact sterling silver with a gold wash but looks like 9ct.

Trishakapoor

Postby Trishakapoor » January 9th, 2021, 9:29 am

Great Information was very useful for me.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » January 9th, 2021, 11:54 am

PinkDalek wrote:
Clariman wrote:Just found a website saying that hallmarking only became compulsory in 1973 but I don't know if that is true. I've had a jeweller and an auction house look at it and they both said it was Gold but I stupidly didn't ask about dates. :oops:

As per https://www.assayofficelondon.co.uk/hal ... a-hallmark :

The UK Hallmarking Act (1973) states that it is an offence for any person, in the course of trade or business, to describe an un-hallmarked article as being wholly or partly made of precious metal(s) or to supply un-hallmarked articles to which such a description is applied.

Not everything had to be hallmarked, unless you are trying to sell it. That's why auction house used to (may still do) describe un-hallmarked silver as white metal.

The Act contains some exemptions from the requirement to hallmark - including this (bold added as relevant to the OP):

Schedule 1, HA1973
The following articles of gold, if manufactured before 1st January 1975, and [...] of minimum fineness—
(a) rings, except wedding rings, pencil cases, lockets, watch chains and thimbles,

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » January 9th, 2021, 5:21 pm

Recently disposed of a bunch of assorted gold items from a relative. Many were hallmarked but many had just the 9ct or 14ct or nothing at all. I sold them to Hatton Garden Metals (who I have used a few times for this) and they assayed everything individually. I only got one piece wrong, which they obviously spotted. Apparently for old gold from Europe this mish mash of marks and even no marks is pretty common.

Shreekantpillay

Postby Shreekantpillay » February 22nd, 2021, 10:43 am

Great information was very useful for me..

Return to “Does anyone know?”