Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa, for Donating to support the site

Mozzie repellent

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Mozzie repellent

Postby Clitheroekid » August 19th, 2017, 9:04 pm

DAK a truly effective mosquito repellent? I'm one of those unfortunate individuals that always seems to get bitten and the bites then last for ages.

Likewise, on the assumption that no repellent is 100% successful if anyone can recommend something that stops the bites developing into itchy lumps that would also be helpful.

Please only give recommendations based on personal experience - I've lost count of the number of people recommending me to get some Avon Skin So Soft because they read somewhere that the Marines use it and it must therefore work (it doesn't, at least not for me!)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Mozzie repellent

Postby redsturgeon » August 19th, 2017, 9:14 pm

Anything containing DEET is really the only thing I've found that works

https://www.pyramidtravelproducts.co.uk ... rek-ultra/

100% DEET is now banned and I haven't tried the 50% they now sell though.

John

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » August 19th, 2017, 9:25 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:... on the assumption that no repellent is 100% successful if anyone can recommend something that stops the bites developing into itchy lumps that would also be helpful.

It's a histamine reaction, so a good antihistamine cream works wonders.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » August 19th, 2017, 9:56 pm

redsturgeon wrote:100% DEET is now banned

You can still get 95% though - https://www.safariquip.co.uk/all-catego ... ray-100ml/

It seems barmy to ban 100% but allow 95% - there can't be any practical difference in real life.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » August 19th, 2017, 10:35 pm

DEET is it. The question is what dosage you are comfortable with, including your view on the long term health issues that may exist, likely do.

Remember it is not just a matter of applying it to naked skin. You can also prep the skin with creams, i.e. maximise the active DEET on the outside, plus socks, hats, scarves, socks, collars, nets.

Based on personal experience.

regards, dspp

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 19th, 2017, 11:06 pm

My experience is that mozzie repellants are worse than the mozzies.

I have a childhood memory of some coils that you smoulder to produce a smoke that repels them. Also repels me. Strong chemicals on the skin would bother me more.

A layer of clothing offers partial protection. Tracksuit and socks, provided it's not sweltering too much. Worked for me in Oz when travelling too light to carry a tent.

Where are you going? The mozzies are different in different climates and environments.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » August 19th, 2017, 11:14 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:DAK a truly effective mosquito repellent?
Autan. Just ordered it online after two decades using it in all sorts of circumstances in central Europe.
Regards,
Chris

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » August 19th, 2017, 11:35 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:DAK a truly effective mosquito repellent? I'm one of those unfortunate individuals that always seems to get bitten...

You don't need a repellent, you want an attractant. Just walk next to someone who the mozzies prefer. Someone like... err... Clitherokid? :)

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » August 20th, 2017, 10:00 am

I agree with Breelander...go on hols with someone who is more 'attractive' to the mossies than you ar!!

also in my experience alcohol seems quite good.........mossies seem not to like it in your 'sweat' which THEY an detect easilly
(added benefit is that you will sleep deeper even if they still around!)

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » August 20th, 2017, 11:37 am

mutantpoodle wrote:...alcohol seems quite good.........mossies seem not to like it in your 'sweat' ....

Actually it seems that it's not that mozzies don't like the smell of DEET (or alcohol)...
..Rather, it’s because the chemical DEET is very effective at masking the smell of carbon dioxide and lactic acid. When you’re wearing DEET, the mosquitoes can’t smell you and so they leave you alone.
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health ... uito-bites

And, if you'd prefer not to use nasty chemicals or be half cut all holiday, apparently you should be as lazy as you can, eat lots of garlic, and avoid all fruit and veg ( I paraphrase a bit :))

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » August 20th, 2017, 12:33 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:DAK a truly effective mosquito repellent? I'm one of those unfortunate individuals that always seems to get bitten and the bites then last for ages.

Likewise, on the assumption that no repellent is 100% successful if anyone can recommend something that stops the bites developing into itchy lumps that would also be helpful.

Please only give recommendations based on personal experience - I've lost count of the number of people recommending me to get some Avon Skin So Soft because they read somewhere that the Marines use it and it must therefore work (it doesn't, at least not for me!)

I have sworn by http://jungleformula.co.uk/ for years as, not only does it seem to work, but it also doesn't seem to irritate sensitive skin, which many others do. and I like the availability of a roll-on, rather than a spray which allows accurate placement and use in windy conditions.

It also seems to drive off other flies that are after my sweat when I am gardening.

Unless you are going to Portugal there is no point in me recommending a bite treatment as that is where we bought ours.
I will say that the ones sold abroad seem to be much better than those sold here.

Slarti

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » August 20th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Slarti wrote:
Clitheroekid wrote:DAK a truly effective mosquito repellent? I'm one of those unfortunate individuals that always seems to get bitten and the bites then last for ages.

I have sworn by http://jungleformula.co.uk/ for years as, not only does it seem to work, but it also doesn't seem to irritate sensitive skin, which many others do. and I like the availability of a roll-on, rather than a spray which allows accurate placement and use in windy conditions.

It also seems to drive off other flies that are after my sweat when I am gardening.

Unless you are going to Portugal there is no point in me recommending a bite treatment as that is where we bought ours.
I will say that the ones sold abroad seem to be much better than those sold here.

Slarti

Pay attention to the ingredients list of the brands people are quoting:
"The Jungle Formula Maximum products contain 50% DEET, which is approved by the Hospital for Tropical Diseases for travellers visiting tropical areas with a high risk of malaria and other insect transmitted diseases. 50% DEET is widely recommended by GP’s and travel clinics when visiting countries where insect transmitted diseases are endemic. The Medium range contains 20% DEET which is suitable for non-tropical destinations."

Like I said the only thing that matters is the % of DEET. The only thing that works is DEET, clothing, or flyscreens. Generally foreign repellents contain higher % of DEET, that's why they work better !

regards, dspp

killergorilla

Postby killergorilla » August 21st, 2017, 10:21 pm

Having been bitten over 100 times this past weekend I sympathise!
As other posters have suggested, anything with a significant DEET content is all that works but even then without thorough coverage they'll get the exposed bits.
One other surprisingly effective repellent is a fan. If you're sat around outside with a glass of wine having a tower fan blowing where you are works well. Mosquitoes don't like flying into wind and the fan also disrupts your scent and makes them fly 'upwind' towards it. It makes it more difficult for them to find you. Low tech and effective.
Doesn't help if you're getting bitten out and about.
KG

abisgran

Postby abisgran » August 21st, 2017, 10:53 pm

Agree with others regarding Deet.For troublesome bites I would recommend 1 percent hydrocortisone cream which can be obtained from Uk pharmacy -pharmacist will ask what is required for and have been happy to sell it to me prior to holidays when I say It is required for troublesome bites on holiday which I know from prior experience does not respond to other creams.Oral antihistamine tablets are also useful.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » August 23rd, 2017, 5:05 pm

It also depends where you are going, as different regions have mosquitos with different habits.
DEET works ok most places, but I don't like putting in directly onto my skin, apparently it gets absorbed into the blood and it's not exactly anything approaching a 'bio' solution; it's pretty evil. I had a cheapo travel Swatch watch written off (melted) by over enthusiastically slathering DEET on my arms.
Mossies tend to aim for the highest point of your body, your head/the major heat source and work down. Wear a hat. Wear a hat with twigs/feathers sticking up above it. Apply repellant around neck/collar, on any hat, around cuffs, sock-tops/trouser-hems. The backs of knees and calves is also a primo zone, mosquitos unless desperate do aim for zones they believe are discrete.
Use citronella instead of DEET. IME you need to reapply it more often but the results are comparable.
Wear short/short-sleeved 'tropical-wear' during the day, change into long-sleeved trousers and shirts at night.
To treat bites - antihistamine. IIRC Anthisan was the 'British standard' and I've still half a tube somewhere.
If in a problem area, sleep in a bed with a mosquito net on the bed. Keep the net tucked in during the day (and night of course!) to keep them out. Your night-time perspiration into the bedding otherwise draws them into the retracted netting/bedding when you're out. Inspect the bed before sleeping to swat any 'insiders'.
Use one of those plug-in mosquito repellers in a hotel room with infused daily pads. Buy them locally, much cheaper. When you are back at base pre-dusk, insert a new pad, if there is a fan switch it on, by the time you get back to the room later you should be ok with no mossies left.

There used to be an idea that taking Brewer's yeast pills daily (Vit B) made your odour 'distasteful'. Don't know, maybe you just notice the bites less. IME I do believe incomers get targeted more, bitten more, than people who've stayed in a problem location for a while.
You'll still find people who swear swigging G+Ts help. Perhaps ditto and some confusion over the proto-antimalarial quinine found in the tonic water.

- antihistamine cream up 2.5% is considered standard out in Asia, and cheaper than the milder% and more-$ versions commonly found in Europe.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » August 24th, 2017, 9:51 am

I use Pyrethrum Spray. Very efficient, every few years, I buy half a dozen and used sparingly it lasts for ages. I think it has a use-by date but I don't take ant notice of that.

http://www.theorganicpharmacy.com/health-beauty/pyrethrum-complex-spray/627

There's also an insect repellant spray -http://www.theorganicpharmacy.com/health-beauty/insect-repellant-spray/174- which contains neem. Neem is used in pest control -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azadirachta_indica

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » August 24th, 2017, 10:45 am

A bottle trap with water, brown sugar and baker's yeast inside. Or a very windy and rainy evening.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 24th, 2017, 10:52 am

DEET is the stuff, but as mentioned it does melt plastic including some waterproof fabrics IIRC. There was talk that Avon 'Skin so soft' spray works as a midge repellent, but I've not seen any conclusive evidence.

I dont seem to get bitten - no idea why , I dont use anything.

ErroneousBee

Postby ErroneousBee » August 24th, 2017, 11:40 am

Ive used smidge against midges, it says it works against mosquitoes too.

https://www.smidgeup.com/the-science/how-it-works/

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » August 24th, 2017, 3:18 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I dont seem to get bitten - no idea why , I dont use anything.

How bad are the mosquitos in deepest Berkshire this time of year? :)

Return to “Does anyone know?”