Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Accountancy Qualifications

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Accountancy Qualifications

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 31st, 2017, 2:09 pm

No, I'm not thinking of changing careers , but was idly looking for the various levels of qualifications - possibly with a view to doing a course to assist with current work (which is getting more finace/audit orientated)
Couple of questions -
What are the various recognised qualification in the UK ?
I've checked out CIMA briefly, and some online sites appear to offer computer-based exams. Are the resulting 'qualifications' of any value at all (from a CV point of view) given that there's no proof the named student actually did the exam. Or do they have some foolproof ID system?

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Accountancy Qualifications

Postby Slarti » August 31st, 2017, 4:51 pm

I don't know about foolproof, but they certainly do have an ID system.

CIMA is recognised by industry, but a lighter version than ICAEW or ACCA but both of those are aimed more at accountants in practice and auditing.

I have no idea how they actually rank, these days, and the differences often seemed to relate to snobbishness, at least to an outsider.

I come across Financial Directors with any of the 3 qualifications, though the ICAEW and ACCA are more common in quoted companies.

I'd be looking for any training to be approved by the organisation in question, with them approving the exams.

HTH
Slarti

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » September 2nd, 2017, 2:45 pm

I seem to remember CIMA was a bit lightweight and more towards management accounting.

thebarns
2 Lemon pips

Postby thebarns » September 2nd, 2017, 3:16 pm

Chartered Accountancy - ICAEW in England and Wales and ICAS in Scotland - is the perceived top notch qualification and training in the accountancy world.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 2nd, 2017, 3:55 pm

When I asked my careers advisor about pursuing a job in accountancy, he just said that I should go out and be audit I can be, but to always remember that it's accrual world out there.....

Itsallaguess

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 2nd, 2017, 4:40 pm

Thanks all , I think it would be CIMA in my case, but still concerned about the value if its something that can be done online (or by a cash payment to some Graduate College based above a takeaway in Hackney)

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » September 2nd, 2017, 5:42 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Thanks all , I think it would be CIMA in my case, but still concerned about the value if its something that can be done online (or by a cash payment to some Graduate College based above a takeaway in Hackney)

I'll be seeing some people working for CMA (or perhaps already got it?) on Monday. I'll have a chat with them.

The other 2 are much more theoretical and, I think, have tougher entrance requirements.

Slarti

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 2nd, 2017, 9:09 pm

Cheers! Probably something on our work Intranet training portal, but that can wait til Monday

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » September 4th, 2017, 6:15 pm

So I spoke to one of the people currently doing CIMA and yes, the exams are done on computer, but they are done at an exam centre on their computers, where you will have attended for some of your study, so that is how the security works.

HTH
Slarti

PS, I have another question opportunity tomorrow.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 4th, 2017, 9:30 pm

Ah, makes sense - thanks.
Must have a look at the syllabus

Cheers
AC

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » September 4th, 2017, 10:24 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:No, I'm not thinking of changing careers , but was idly looking for the various levels of qualifications - possibly with a view to doing a course to assist with current work (which is getting more finace/audit orientated)

Early in my career I did the AAT in my spare time (employer was subbing the exam fees). It's more "junior" than ACA/CIMA/ACCA, but certainly helped me to run my ltdco bookkeeping myself and understand how tax & ni calculations work while I was contracting, and in my Finance/IT work, and indeed has helped me better understand financial accounts in my HYPing ...

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 4th, 2017, 10:29 pm

Another one to look at -thanks!

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 6th, 2017, 5:25 am

moorfield wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:No, I'm not thinking of changing careers , but was idly looking for the various levels of qualifications - possibly with a view to doing a course to assist with current work (which is getting more finace/audit orientated)

Early in my career I did the AAT in my spare time (employer was subbing the exam fees). It's more "junior" than ACA/CIMA/ACCA, but certainly helped me to run my ltdco bookkeeping myself and understand how tax & ni calculations work while I was contracting, and in my Finance/IT work, and indeed has helped me better understand financial accounts in my HYPing ...

During my employment I found many qualified accountants had started out on that journey from leaving school and uni onwards, ie it's the foundation of a career. Hence my impression was later during a non-accounting career it would then be very hard to find the time to pursue a full 'CIMA/ACCA' qual in your spare time; you're looking at perhaps 3-5 years of absolute dedication.
So wishing to have a greater knowledge of accounting I decided to follow the AAT courses. That was 50/50 because I'd worked around daily management accounting for years but had zero relevant quals. I knew the reality and practice, but not the rules/principles*.

In brief I did AAT stage 1 and 2 in my spare time while later self-employed. Based on past employment quite a bit of it all 'magically slotted into place' as 'common sense', so I enjoyed it.
My impression is ACCA is for career statutory accountants (working for practises etc), CIMA is way more of a general business oriented version. AAT is for people who can't make it a centre-piece of their formative education but want to accrue a good amount of the understanding, and perhaps in a more flexible learning environment.

* I came to learn that a simple balance sheet is potentially a thing of great beauty, but that is for another topic :)

Return to “Does anyone know?”