Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to kiloran,Anonymous,Howard,Gostevie,JuanDB, for Donating to support the site

Bafflement

Raise issues with Admin (Stooz, Clariman, Redsturgeon) e.g. alert to something important on the site or ask Admin about a moderation decision. You will be answered, but there is no response time guarantee.
XFool
Lemon Half

Bafflement

Postby XFool » April 20th, 2021, 8:00 pm

Baffling. As ever...

viewtopic.php?p=405640#p405640

Just saying!

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bafflement

Postby csearle » April 20th, 2021, 8:28 pm

XFool wrote:Baffling. As ever...

viewtopic.php?p=405640#p405640

Just saying!
You are on a sticky wicket here old bean* as it was one of the owners of this site that requested it.

Chris
*Escalating anything I do (or more accurately, you think I've done) that you don't like is I feel unlikely to get you anywhere. Time to switch strategies.

XFool
Lemon Half

Postby XFool » April 20th, 2021, 9:45 pm

In this instance I had said everything I wanted to say, so locking the thread is neither here nor there to me. However... it raises yet again (yes, again!) the whole question - for a TMF user - "Just what am I allowed to post or not post on TLF?"

The answer is NOT: "Read the rules!" Because, if the answer was to be found there, then there wouldn't be a question...

Lootman
Lemon Half

Postby Lootman » April 20th, 2021, 10:21 pm

XFool wrote:In this instance I had said everything I wanted to say, so locking the thread is neither here nor there to me. However... it raises yet again (yes, again!) the whole question - for a TMF user - "Just what am I allowed to post or not post on TLF?"

The answer is NOT: "Read the rules!" Because, if the answer was to be found there, then there wouldn't be a question...

It is not unusual for a topic to be locked because it has "run its course" or because the OP's original question has been answered. So there may not be a rule about that but I think we all understand that topics, particularly if they are in the "CURRENT affairs and news" board, may reach their sell-by date.

We see this in the various topics around Brexit which, at this point, have dwindled away because they are now moot. One exception is for the Coronavirus topics which are allowed to continue seemingly forever, although even there we might hopefully reach the point later this year when we no longer need them.

Throw into that mix that race is a very contentious topic, almost designed to cause controversy and confrontation. I can see why our sponsors might be wary of such a topic. If you really believe that it has legs, why not propose a "race and ethnicity" board and see which way the wind blows?

XFool
Lemon Half

Postby XFool » April 20th, 2021, 10:46 pm

Lootman wrote:It is not unusual for a topic to be locked because it has "run its course" or because the OP's original question has been answered. So there may not be a rule about that but I think we all understand that topics, particularly if they are in the "CURRENT affairs and news" board, may reach their sell-by date.

I understand that if a specific subject thread, such as Does Anybody Know?, goes off topic into general comment it will be locked - if question has been answered. But most threads are not locked just because they have come to an end, AFAIK. Locking implies summat up! ;)

In this case two moderators were involved. First agreed, after I understand some moderation, thread was OK to continue. It continued and I didn't notice any 'bad' posts from then on - unless they had been removed, but there was no further moderation comment. Then, when it had already come to a natural end, another moderator locked it. With explanation about "Unsuitable for this financial website"! So... Why even have: "All the usual comments".

Lootman wrote:Throw into that mix that race is a very contentious topic, almost designed to cause controversy and confrontation. I can see why our sponsors might be wary of such a topic.

Indeed. While that may well explain it, the approach in this case is what led me to the title of this thread.

Lootman wrote:If you really believe that it has legs, why not propose a "race and ethnicity" board and see which way the wind blows?

No need AFAIAC, it's more the confusion caused by the approach - again.

Mike4
Lemon Quarter

Postby Mike4 » April 20th, 2021, 11:44 pm

Lootman wrote:We see this in the various topics around Brexit which, at this point, have dwindled away because they are now moot. One exception is for the Coronavirus topics which are allowed to continue seemingly forever, although even there we might hopefully reach the point later this year when we no longer need them.

Very droll.

Last summer, general opinion in the chattering classes was that coronavirus was done, bar a bit of shouting. And look what happened.

Now it's déjà vu all over again. Lockdown three looks inevitable, mainly because everyone thinks it's all over.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 21st, 2021, 7:53 am

To answer the original Room 101 implied question.

It was locked because of the nature of the topic and concern how some of it may appear if read out of context via google search results etc.

Can I also remind everyone that this board is not here for general discussion. It is here for individual users to escalate concerns to site admin and owners.

I will leave it open for a while to allow the OP to comment or ask a follow up. Any comments from others will be deleted.

Clariman

XFool
Lemon Half

Postby XFool » April 21st, 2021, 8:06 am

Clariman wrote:To answer the original Room 101 implied question.

It was locked because of the nature of the topic and concern how some of it may appear if read out of context via google search results etc.

OK. Thanks for that explanation, Clariman. It more or less corresponds to what I thought might be the reason.

My only point would be could the decision behind this, possibly atypical situation, have been more clearly communicated to thread users?

XFool
Lemon Half

Postby XFool » April 21st, 2021, 8:57 am

XFool wrote:
Clariman wrote:To answer the original Room 101 implied question.

OK. Thanks for that explanation, Clariman. It more or less corresponds to what I thought might be the reason.

Except that you have to be logged in as a LF user in order to read the thread... :?:

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 21st, 2021, 9:11 am

Fair point about communication. I think all content can be read without logging in, but you can't post. Unless Stooz changed it and I've forgotten.

Will close topic now as answer has been provided.

Clariman

Return to “Room 101”