Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to SalvorHardin,Loup321,pje16,AsleepInYorkshire,swill453, for Donating to support the site

What happened to?

Raise issues with Admin (Stooz, Clariman, Redsturgeon) e.g. alert to something important on the site or ask Admin about a moderation decision. You will be answered, but there is no response time guarantee.
XFool
Lemon Half

What happened to?

Postby XFool » July 2nd, 2021, 10:31 pm

...the Elderbridge thread.

From the thread: 'What happened to?'
Moderator Message:
The topic was deleted. This was an admin decision in line with the published rules.

As this question has now been answered, I will lock this topic.
(chas49)

I posted on the Elderbridge thread. Latterly I saw a moderator post about sticking to giving factual answers or it would be locked. My posts all along, and following the moderator's intervention, were attempting to give factual answers and helpful suggestions. As were the other posts following moderation, if my memory is correct. So: in line with which "published rules"?

As I posted on the thread: "I have no personal interest here", so the subject of the thread is no great issue with me, but it might help everyone further in the ongoing task of deciphering(?) "TLF rules".

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: What happened to?

Postby csearle » July 2nd, 2021, 11:51 pm

It is under discussion. I was trying to find a better home for such themes. If I have understood the site owners correctly I (or Charles) can re-instate the thread but am still trying to work out where best to do that. "Does Anyone Know" seems to be a catch-all rather than a good place. Where would you suggest?

Regards,
Chris

XFool
Lemon Half

Postby XFool » July 3rd, 2021, 12:05 am

...Well the OP was one type of Does Anyone Know?

Alternatively, does TLF have a Possible Scams? board? I think TMF may have had something similar.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » July 3rd, 2021, 1:35 pm

XFool wrote:Alternatively, does TLF have a Possible Scams? board? I think TMF may have had something similar.

It did - the board was called "A fool And His Money…" (*). But remember that in terms of financial resources, TLF is tiny compared with TMF, and so has to be considerably more careful about taking legal risks than TMF - and note that even the TMF board name used a description of the board's users rather than a description of the activities of the people/organisations the board might be discussing. (And even so, I remember seeing the TMF moderators make it pretty clear on a few occasions that a thread had been removed because they'd received lawyers' letters about it, and that that decision was final.)

To be clear, I haven't seen the 'Elderbridge thread' - so this post is only about the question of what TMF had, not about that thread.

(*) Not something I managed to remember on my own, but looking for boards.fool.co.uk on archive.org led me to https://web.archive.org/web/20161109125 ... ds-a-to-z/, and it was most helpfully at the top of the list :-).

Gengulphus

Alaric
Lemon Quarter

Postby Alaric » July 3rd, 2021, 2:38 pm

Gengulphus wrote:I remember seeing the TMF moderators make it pretty clear on a few occasions that a thread had been removed because they'd received lawyers' letters about it, and that that decision was final.

It was quite predictable that the Companies and schemes named and removed at lawyer's request would eventually found to be guilty as charged of being of dubious value or outright scams, admittedly months or indeed years later. That was either by prosecution or FCA action to shut them down.

XFool
Lemon Half

Postby XFool » July 3rd, 2021, 3:21 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
XFool wrote:Alternatively, does TLF have a Possible Scams? board? I think TMF may have had something similar.

It did - the board was called "A fool And His Money…" (*). But remember that in terms of financial resources, TLF is tiny compared with TMF, and so has to be considerably more careful about taking legal risks than TMF - and note that even the TMF board name used a description of the board's users rather than a description of the activities of the people/organisations the board might be discussing. (And even so, I remember seeing the TMF moderators make it pretty clear on a few occasions that a thread had been removed because they'd received lawyers' letters about it, and that that decision was final.)

That thought had occurred to me.

Thing is, AFAIK, all TMF was visible to 'everyone' (to read), this is not so with TLF. Despite the fact that TLF people have in the past mentioned "Googling subjects" turning up undesirable threads/topics/posts as a reason for pulling threads because of undesirable publicity, as I have pointed out in the past, unless you are logged in to TLF as a member you cannot see everything on TLF. This still remains true today, even after the demised of PD and its special login.

So you cannot simply anonymously Google every thread or post on TLF. Obviously an interested party could still join and then look for themselves, if they wanted to check TLF out.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » July 9th, 2021, 9:38 pm

XFool wrote:
Thing is, AFAIK, all TMF was visible to 'everyone' (to read), this is not so with TLF. Despite the fact that TLF people have in the past mentioned "Googling subjects" turning up undesirable threads/topics/posts as a reason for pulling threads because of undesirable publicity, as I have pointed out in the past, unless you are logged in to TLF as a member you cannot see everything on TLF. This still remains true today, even after the demised of PD and its special login.

So you cannot simply anonymously Google every thread or post on TLF. Obviously an interested party could still join and then look for themselves, if they wanted to check TLF out.

Are you sure about this, XFool? I am far from especially web-savvy, but what you are saying (as far as I can see) contradicts what moderators are being told about sensitive topics.

MDW1954

XFool
Lemon Half

Postby XFool » July 9th, 2021, 10:33 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
XFool wrote:Thing is, AFAIK, all TMF was visible to 'everyone' (to read), this is not so with TLF. Despite the fact that TLF people have in the past mentioned "Googling subjects" turning up undesirable threads/topics/posts as a reason for pulling threads because of undesirable publicity, as I have pointed out in the past, unless you are logged in to TLF as a member you cannot see everything on TLF. This still remains true today, even after the demised of PD and its special login.

Are you sure about this, XFool? I am far from especially web-savvy, but what you are saying (as far as I can see) contradicts what moderators are being told about sensitive topics.

AFAICS, yes it is. Why not try for yourself?

Surprisingly, even subject headings in POLITE DEBATE & DISCUSSION:Current Affairs & News seem not to be available for public search, despite them being visible to non logged on users! Obviously, the content of messages on boards requiring log on must not be publicly searchable.

eg. Using Google outside TLM and searching for the subject "Triple lock must go!" does not find the discussion thread in the above board (it finds references to "Triple lock" in other, public TLF pension discussions). Similarly for the embedded TLF Google search, even when logged in. Same for "Pork-fed Chickens?"

Seems to imply search engines are blocked from these TLF threads.

Try a search for "Come on England" in the public board Beerpig's Snug - an immediate hit.

I agree this does seem to be at odds with what moderators 'know'.

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » July 10th, 2021, 5:05 pm

I will check that out. It may be that forum is removed from the Google engine but not actual site visitors. We tried to improve the feature of having to lock people into group sign-up to enjoy. We have no good reason that particular area is used to associate Google search traffic however.

Return to “Room 101”