Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

AstraZeneca vaccine

Analysing companies' finances and value from their financial statements using ratios and formulae
Adamski
Lemon Quarter

AstraZeneca vaccine

Postby Adamski » July 23rd, 2020, 8:55 am

Hi LFs, should AZN be a buy because of the oxford vaccine. Been reading that Moderna and AZ are both at similar stages in vacinne development. But Moderna shares have rocketed 65% in 3 months compared to a lacklustre 11% for AZN.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Re: AstraZeneca vaccine

Postby gryffron » July 30th, 2020, 5:18 pm

AstraZeneca is a huge company with fingers in hundreds of pies. Hence the covid vaccine represents only a small part of their business.

Moderna is a very small company. The vaccine is everything (or nothing) to them.

Gryff

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 31st, 2020, 7:17 pm

Also Azn have stated that their vaccine activity is being done on a not for profit basis. Their p/e ratio makes one wonder whether that has been taken into consideration. Hopefully, it accurately reflects all the recent drug approvals.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 31st, 2020, 7:50 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Also Azn have stated that their vaccine activity is being done on a not for profit basis. Their p/e ratio makes one wonder whether that has been taken into consideration. Hopefully, it accurately reflects all the recent drug approvals.

Yes, I think there would be a lot of political pressure put on any drug company that comes up with a cure or vaccine to make the cost moderate. It would also be good PR for such a company to not gouge on prices.

That said, if I could pay a grand tomorrow to buy immunity from Covid and lead a normal life, I would do it in a New York minute.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 31st, 2020, 11:50 pm

Lootman wrote:Yes, I think there would be a lot of political pressure put on any drug company that comes up with a cure or vaccine to make the cost moderate. It would also be good PR for such a company to not gouge on prices.

That said, if I could pay a grand tomorrow to buy immunity from Covid and lead a normal life, I would do it in a New York minute.

But of course your grand immunity wouldn't get you a normal life while the country is still under semi-lockdown and other Covid restrictions. The way for any of us to lead a normal life is for everyone to get immunity (or at least the majority needed to reach herd immunity...)

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 1st, 2020, 4:54 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Also Azn have stated that their vaccine activity is being done on a not for profit basis. Their p/e ratio makes one wonder whether that has been taken into consideration. Hopefully, it accurately reflects all the recent drug approvals.

There is a big difference between "Not for Profit" and "Not making a loss".

Overhead and cost recovery makes a big difference, compared with endless research into medicines which do not make the grade.

TJH

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » August 1st, 2020, 5:26 pm

Agreed and it is good that their costs will be reimbursed by various others. Also good that their research seems to have paid off in a number of cases recently. I should be interested to know whether you think their present price is justified, however. I am debating whether to transfer my dealing account holding to my ISA, where I have another holding, before the ex-dividend date or just take the profit.

Return to “Company Analysis”