Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Unilever (ULVR)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
simoan
Lemon Quarter

Re: Unilever (ULVR)

Postby simoan » January 15th, 2022, 12:28 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:LONDON, Jan 15 (Reuters) - Consumer goods giant Unilever (ULVR.L) said it had approached Glaxosmithkline (GSK.L) about buying the pharmaceutical group's consumer goods arm after a newspaper reported that a 50 billion pound ($68.4 billion) offer it made had been rebuffed.

"GSK Consumer Healthcare is a leader in the attractive consumer health space and would be a strong strategic fit as Unilever continues to re-shape its portfolio," Unilever said in a statement on Saturday.

"There can be no certainty that any agreement will be reached."

GSK did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Earlier, Britain's Sunday Times said the Unilever bid for the business was worth roughly 50 billion pounds, and had been rejected as too low by GSK and Pfizer (PFE.N), which owns a minority stake in the division.

The approach by Unilever, which owns brands such as Dove soap and Marmite, for Glaxo’s portfolio of household brands including Panadol painkillers and Sensodyne toothpaste was understood to have been unsolicited, it added.

Unilever's bid did not include any takeover premium or recognition of synergies, the newspaper said. It was not clear whether Unilever would make a higher offer, it added.

see https://www.reuters.com/business/retail ... 022-01-15/

Matt

This doesn't surprise me. See this thread from a year ago: https://lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=27706

"Yes, the Consumer Healthcare business is a bit of a mess and has not really settled yet after the merger with Pfizer but it still generated revenue of £10bn with >20% operating margins. Put that on the same rating as Reckitt Benckiser, for instance, and you get a £32bn business on its own. Use Unilever as a benchmark and you get nearer to £40bn. The total market cap of GSK is currently < £64bn at a price of 1265p.

I feel there is inherent value that is not being reflected in the current market price. GSK looks very unloved and oversold to me. That doesn't mean it can't go lower, and probably will given current sentiment. Call me cynical, but I think the market will change it's tune later this year when all the investment banks line up for their piece of the pie for the demerger of the Pharma and Consumer healthcare divisions. And of course, once the demerger has taken place GSK becomes two bite sized pieces that make them ripe for acquisition by larger competitors. My personal opinion is that GSK likely won't exist in 3 years time in any form. In the meantime, I believe there is money to be made."

I agree with GSK and Pfizer here. At the current GSK market cap, a £50bn valuation for the Consumer Healthcare business does not include a lot of fat.

All the best, Si

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 15th, 2022, 12:45 pm

The last para of the Reuter's link

"Unilever has previously shot down suggestions that it was in the market for big deals. Jope has said he was only interested in small, bolt-on acquisitions in fast-growing areas such as luxury beauty and health and wellness."

Seems a bit of a Volt(arol)-face?

(I couldn't resist that one ;) !)

How the heck would Unilever finance that purchase?

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » January 15th, 2022, 1:35 pm

Proceeds of the recent sale of the tea business plus a LOT of borrowing?

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » January 15th, 2022, 1:52 pm

monabri wrote:How the heck would Unilever finance that purchase?

Selling Ben & Jerry's would be a good start!

It would also make it a bit easier and cheaper to issue debt. That's because a lot of American institutions are prohibited from investing in Unilever after Ben & Jerry's started boycotting Israel.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » January 15th, 2022, 2:08 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:
monabri wrote:How the heck would Unilever finance that purchase?

Selling Ben & Jerry's would be a good start!

It would also make it a bit easier and cheaper to issue debt. That's because a lot of American institutions are prohibited from investing in Unilever after Ben & Jerry's started boycotting Israel.

A ha, yes I recall reading a little about that. However is B&J quite a profitable part of ULVR, and arguably one that they should be keeping?

Matt

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » January 15th, 2022, 5:09 pm

Have been mulling this over and I think if there's a dead cat bounce in ULVR stock on Monday I will sell. I have been unhappy with this share for sometime.

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » January 15th, 2022, 5:11 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:Proceeds of the recent sale of the tea business plus a LOT of borrowing?

And share issuance!

Best wishes

Mark.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » January 15th, 2022, 5:46 pm

ADrunkenMarcus wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:Proceeds of the recent sale of the tea business plus a LOT of borrowing?

And share issuance!

Best wishes

Mark.

I'm afraid that might be the case if it gets that far, which is not good when the shares seem relatively depressed.

£50 bn for a business with a turnover of £10 bn is a very high price, which has already been rejected by GSK!

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » January 15th, 2022, 5:54 pm

According to Bloomberg the last bid by Unilever on 20th December was for 41.7 billion pounds in cash and 8.3 billion pounds in Unilever shares.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 15th, 2022, 6:34 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60009645.amp

''Glaxo Smith Kline has rejected three Unilever offers to buy its consumer goods division, including one worth £50bn."

"GSK said in a statement the most recent proposal from Unilever on 20 December contained an offer for £41.7bn in cash and £8.3bn in Unilever shares." (as above).

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » January 15th, 2022, 9:16 pm

At least the CEO has woken up!

Just realised that’s a bad, accidental joke! Terry Smith would say that being more woke is the last thing he needs.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 16th, 2022, 12:13 am

Spet0789 wrote:At least the CEO has woken up!

Just realised that’s a bad, accidental joke! Terry Smith would say that being more woke is the last thing he needs.

All of this is though surely quite healthy for those of us who hold both Unilever and Glaxo (which may be quite a lot of us!). Once the Glaxo division is hived off, we will see what the market thinks. I do not think that the Unilever management is being silly about this!

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 16th, 2022, 7:26 am

Dod101 wrote:
All of this is though surely quite healthy for those of us who hold both Unilever and Glaxo (which may be quite a lot of us!). Once the Glaxo division is hived off, we will see what the market thinks. I do not think that the Unilever management is being silly about this!

Dod

I agree with you Dod. As you're probably aware, I hold both Unilever and GlaxoSmithKline, and am fairly relaxed about whichever way this all pans out. I have no intention of selling either share, and as I've mentioned elsewhere, am likely to top up my ULVR holdings soon, maybe next month, or March?

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 17th, 2022, 7:11 am

Unilever update

The management and Board of Unilever are committed to accelerating the company's growth and repositioning the portfolio into higher growth categories. As a result of the reporting of Unilever's interest in GSK Consumer Healthcare, we are today bringing forward a planned update, setting out the strategic direction that the company is pursuing.

Unilever's strategic direction

Following the unification of Unilever, the Board has undertaken an extensive process to review strategic pathways to reposition Unilever's portfolio into higher growth categories.

This concluded that Unilever's future strategic direction lies in materially expanding its presence in Health, Beauty, and Hygiene. These categories offer higher rates of sustainable market growth, with significant opportunities to drive growth through investment and innovation, and by leveraging Unilever's strong presence in emerging markets.

The Board also concluded that major acquisitions should be accompanied by the accelerated divestment of intrinsically lower growth brands and businesses. This would provide funding and enable separation dis-synergies to be offset by acquisition synergies.

Unilever is committed to strict financial discipline to ensure that acquisitions create value for shareholders. The company benefits from a strong balance sheet and cash generation, and remains committed to maintaining an A-band credit rating. Following any acquisition, the company would target a return to current levels of gearing over the short to medium term.

Consumer Health is an attractive strategic option

Consumer Health is a highly complementary category for Unilever, with good potential for synergies and a number of routes to build scale.

GSK Consumer Healthcare would be a strong strategic fit. 45% of GSK Consumer Healthcare is in Oral Care and VMS - categories in which Unilever already has presence and substantial capabilities. OTC would be an attractive adjacent category, with the ability to combine Unilever's consumer and branding expertise with GSK Consumer Health's technical OTC capabilities. The acquisition would create scale and a growth platform for the combined portfolio in the US, China, and India, with further opportunities in other emerging markets.

We believe that this would be an attractive and synergistic combination for the shareholders of Unilever, which would also deliver value and certainty for the shareholders of GSK and Pfizer.

Full item here; https://www.investegate.co.uk/unilever- ... 01086408Y/

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 17th, 2022, 7:49 am

Response to press reporting

Unilever notes recent reporting regarding its interest in GSK Consumer Healthcare and confirms that it has approached GSK and Pfizer about a potential acquisition of the business.

GSK Consumer Healthcare is a leader in the attractive consumer health space and would be a strong strategic fit as Unilever continues to re-shape its portfolio.

There can be no certainty that any agreement will be reached.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/unilever- ... 00055544Y/

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » January 17th, 2022, 8:25 am

The market isn't impressed........ :cry:

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » January 17th, 2022, 8:54 am

BullDog wrote:The market isn't impressed........ :cry:

Crikey, no - down by 6%. For those who hold both, GSK is up by 5%. Amusing.

I dumped ULVR last year. If it falls much more there will a strong temptation to pile back in. Finding the funds is another matter.

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » January 17th, 2022, 8:57 am

It’s rare but Unilever’s forward dividend yield is probably touching 4%.

Best wishes

Mark

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 17th, 2022, 8:58 am

I was expecting a bigger jump in GSK and a bigger fall in ULVR but then again it's all speculative at the moment.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 17th, 2022, 9:06 am

monabri wrote:I was expecting a bigger jump in GSK and a bigger fall in ULVR but then again it's all speculative at the moment.

Agreed an all points. Either way, this matter won’t budge me from continuing to hold both.

As for the differing sp performances thus far today, I’m not remotely concerned.

That’s why we diversify our portfolios after all.

Both GSK and ULVR up about 3.4% in capital value terms of my 28 share HYP.

Ian.

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”