Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Unilever (ULVR)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Unilever (ULVR)

Postby Dod101 » June 6th, 2022, 12:57 pm

yorkshirelad1 wrote:
monabri wrote:"Some kind of role"?? My point is that the role in determining the level of financial reward for the senior management team makes it more likely he will be listened to. Given enough money, you or I could buy 1.5% of Unilever but I'd want to be on a board where I'd be listened to and be able to have some degree of influence with the management.

So Trian/Peltz have 1.5% of Unilever.
Blackrock have 8%.
1.5% isn't even disclosable/significant shareholding.
not forgetting the Leverhulme trust holdings either etc.

So? The fact that that is the case makes it all the more likely that the Unilever Board has recognised that Peltz has a good track record and ought to at least be listened to. I have not heard that he has ever attempted to force his way onto the Board via his shareholding.

Dod

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » June 21st, 2022, 12:25 pm

Dod101 wrote:
yorkshirelad1 wrote:
monabri wrote:"Some kind of role"?? My point is that the role in determining the level of financial reward for the senior management team makes it more likely he will be listened to. Given enough money, you or I could buy 1.5% of Unilever but I'd want to be on a board where I'd be listened to and be able to have some degree of influence with the management.

Blackrock have 8%.

So? The fact that that is the case makes it all the more likely that the Unilever Board has recognised that Peltz has a good track record and ought to at least be listened to. I have not heard that he has ever attempted to force his way onto the Board via his shareholding.

Dod

They may be having a rethink now that a group of investors including Invesco and Janus Henderson (in which Pelz's firm holds large stakes) have served notice for an EGM of Triam Investors at which they will ask other shareholders to back a call to remove 3 of the 4 directors, according to an article in The Times today ("Activist Peltz on receiving end of revolt") (try Googling).

With so many people switching to own brands to save money, I can't see Unilever's s.p. recovering in a hurry but would be delighted to be proved wrong.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 21st, 2022, 12:56 pm

Bouleversee wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
yorkshirelad1 wrote:

Blackrock have 8%.

Dod

They may be having a rethink now that a group of investors including Invesco and Janus Henderson (in which Pelz's firm holds large stakes) have served notice for an EGM of Triam Investors at which they will ask other shareholders to back a call to remove 3 of the 4 directors, according to an article in The Times today ("Activist Peltz on receiving end of revolt") (try Googling).

With so many people switching to own brands to save money, I can't see Unilever's s.p. recovering in a hurry but would be delighted to be proved wrong.

I read that this morning as well but have no idea of any significance as far as the shareholding in Unilever is concerned.

Dod

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » June 29th, 2022, 10:34 pm

I see Unilever's Ben & Jerry's in Israel has come to a head.
https://www.unilever.com/news/press-and ... in-israel/

The company has sold its Ben & Jerry’s business interests in Israel to Avi Zinger, the owner of American Quality Products Ltd (AQP), the current Israel-based licensee. The new arrangement means Ben & Jerry’s will be sold under its Hebrew and Arabic names throughout Israel and the West Bank under the full ownership of its current licensee.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 30th, 2022, 8:35 am

kempiejon wrote:I see Unilever's Ben & Jerry's in Israel has come to a head.
https://www.unilever.com/news/press-and ... in-israel/

The company has sold its Ben & Jerry’s business interests in Israel to Avi Zinger, the owner of American Quality Products Ltd (AQP), the current Israel-based licensee. The new arrangement means Ben & Jerry’s will be sold under its Hebrew and Arabic names throughout Israel and the West Bank under the full ownership of its current licensee.

Thanks. It is reported in the Times this morning and should remove some of the pressure on Unilever. I do not imagine the Ben and jerry Board are too happy about that but never mind.

Dod

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » July 2nd, 2022, 6:49 pm

Yet again Ben & Jerry's are in the news for the wrong reasons. It turns out that the President of their charitable foundation has been diverting money to his own charity. This looks to be illegal under US Federal law.

"Social Ventures Inc., a charity run by Ben & Jerry’s board member Jeff Furman, raked in around $118,000 from the Ben & Jerry’s Foundation between 2016 and 2020, according to financial disclosure records."...

https://freebeacon.com/latest-news/ben-jerrys-foundation-president-steered-funds-to-his-own-charity/

They still haven't said anything about Russia invading Ukraine, yet they were happy to publish Russian propaganda on their twitter account in February which slagged off America for sending arms to Ukraine.

A Ralph Waldo Emerson quote spring to mind regarding Ben & Jerry's corporate virtue signalling; "'The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons."

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 2nd, 2022, 8:03 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:Yet again Ben & Jerry's are in the news for the wrong reasons. It turns out that the President of their charitable foundation has been diverting money to his own charity. This looks to be illegal under US Federal law.

"Social Ventures Inc., a charity run by Ben & Jerry’s board member Jeff Furman, raked in around $118,000 from the Ben & Jerry’s Foundation between 2016 and 2020, according to financial disclosure records."...

https://freebeacon.com/latest-news/ben-jerrys-foundation-president-steered-funds-to-his-own-charity/

They still haven't said anything about Russia invading Ukraine, yet they were happy to publish Russian propaganda on their twitter account in February which slagged off America for sending arms to Ukraine.

A Ralph Waldo Emerson quote spring to mind regarding Ben & Jerry's corporate virtue signalling; "'The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons."

Yes. I think as you may have said earlier that Unilever would have been better off selling the entire Ben & Jerry's business, and I imagine probably will before too long.

Dod

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » July 3rd, 2022, 8:39 am

Dod101 wrote:
SalvorHardin wrote:Yet again Ben & Jerry's are in the news for the wrong reasons. It turns out that the President of their charitable foundation has been diverting money to his own charity. This looks to be illegal under US Federal law.

Yes. I think as you may have said earlier that Unilever would have been better off selling the entire Ben & Jerry's business, and I imagine probably will before too long.

Dod

But who would buy them if they can't get rid of the left wing fruitcake board whose position is apparently legally protected?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 3rd, 2022, 8:46 am

scrumpyjack wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

But who would buy them if they can't get rid of the left wing fruitcake board whose position is apparently legally protected?

Indeed, but there must be a way.......fund a management buyout maybe?

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 25th, 2022, 7:39 am

Unilever warns on profit amid pressure.

Unilever has warned of a big hit to profit margins this year as it struggles to pass on higher costs to consumers, and ruled out major acquisitions after investor criticism of its failed pursuit of GlaxoSmithKline’s consumer health business. Consumer goods companies are grappling with a surge in raw material, energy, transport and labour prices.

https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/compa ... r%20prices.

nb. Unilever will release its H1 2022 Results on 26th July 2022; https://www.unilever.com/investors/resu ... t-results/

Ian.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » July 25th, 2022, 8:12 am

scrumpyjack wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

There are plenty of virtual signallers with loads of money out there who would love to buy something like Ben & Jerry's at a fraction of its market value.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 25th, 2022, 8:15 am

idpickering wrote:Unilever warns on profit amid pressure.

Unilever has warned of a big hit to profit margins this year as it struggles to pass on higher costs to consumers, and ruled out major acquisitions after investor criticism of its failed pursuit of GlaxoSmithKline’s consumer health business. Consumer goods companies are grappling with a surge in raw material, energy, transport and labour prices.

nb. Unilever will release its H1 2022 Results on 26th July 2022; https://www.unilever.com/investors/resu ... t-results/

Ian.

Report is from February 2022.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 25th, 2022, 9:11 am

monabri wrote:

Ian.

Report is from February 2022.

Fair one, thanks. Sorry if I mislead anyone. It was early lol.

There was a comment on Bloomberg this morning along the lines of my post above though. I assumed someone might've got a sneek preview of the results for tomorrow, hence my having looked for the info?

Ian.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » July 25th, 2022, 12:32 pm

Ian.

As I said elsehwre, ULVR does not have the economic moat it thinks it has.
If punters decide to do some cost cutting then Aldi mayonnaise is just as good as Hellmann's, bleach is bleach so why buy Domestos and Aldi washing power will do instead of Persil.

I dumped this share a while back for this reason plus it's run by idiots.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » July 25th, 2022, 2:25 pm

absolutezero wrote:

Ian.

If punters decide to do some cost cutting then Aldi mayonnaise is just as good as Hellmann's, bleach is bleach so why buy Domestos and Aldi washing power will do instead of Persil.

"invest in businesses any idiot could run because someday one will." Come to mind! :lol:

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 25th, 2022, 2:34 pm

absolutezero wrote:

Ian.

Thanks for your input. I do get what you're saying. Up here in Orkney we have a Tesco and a Lidl, plus a Co-Op to be fair. My wife does the shopping and always goes to Lidl first, then Tesco if she can't find what she's looking for in the former. Products I'm talking about are Nescafe coffee, Dry roasted peanuts, and ice creams. OK, these items might not be specifically from Unilever, but the point I'm making backs up your 'buy the cheaper' option stance. She's just said that about 80% of the items in our pantry are from Lidl.

As for ULVR, I hold, topped up in May 22, and might buy more in the future.

Ian.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 25th, 2022, 2:52 pm

idpickering wrote:Thanks for your input. I do get what you're saying. Up here in Orkney we have a Tesco and a Lidl, plus a Co-Op to be fair. My wife does the shopping and always goes to Lidl first, then Tesco if she can't find what she's looking for in the former. Products I'm talking about are Nescafe coffee, Dry roasted peanuts, and ice creams. OK, these items might not be specifically from Unilever, but the point I'm making backs up your 'buy the cheaper' option stance. She's just said that about 80% of the items in our pantry are from Lidl.

Ian.

I'm not seeing anyone coming strongly to the defence of ULVR... but we shall see!

Like idpickering, we shop at ze German store (Aldi) and then shoot across to Tesco for the things we can't get. Our shopping though (cost wise) is 80% Aldi. We're quite happy with most things in the food and household product range, some things we prefer tastewise.

p.s. note to idpickering....the cheap ice creams at Aldi are water and ice. The more expensive ones ( relatively speaking) are quite nice.. (Monabri's consumer shopping tip for July ;) ).

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 25th, 2022, 3:56 pm

I don't have an Aldi and Lidl nearby but Sainsbury's and Tesco now match a lot of the Aldi and Lidl prices. Tesco now offers some great reductions if you have a Clubcard, e.g. £12 for a litre bottle of Pimms recently, less than others were charging for 75 cl. I have almost always bought own brand products wherever I shopped and would never pay for a name. I do, however, buy some of Ben and Jerry's ice creams when they are on special offer, as with other products and if it is a good offer buy several, which saves a lot of money. I hold Unilever in an ISA but I can see the present situation continuing for a long time so don't feel any inclination to buy more.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 25th, 2022, 4:12 pm

absolutezero wrote:

Ian.

You do not give those who run Unilever much credit then? I suspect that the Unilever CEO and Board have more idea about economic moats than you or I do.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 25th, 2022, 4:19 pm

monabri wrote:
idpickering wrote:Thanks for your input. I do get what you're saying. Up here in Orkney we have a Tesco and a Lidl, plus a Co-Op to be fair. My wife does the shopping and always goes to Lidl first, then Tesco if she can't find what she's looking for in the former. Products I'm talking about are Nescafe coffee, Dry roasted peanuts, and ice creams. OK, these items might not be specifically from Unilever, but the point I'm making backs up your 'buy the cheaper' option stance. She's just said that about 80% of the items in our pantry are from Lidl.

Ian.

I'm not seeing anyone coming strongly to the defence of ULVR... but we shall see!

Like idpickering, we shop at ze German store (Aldi) and then shoot across to Tesco for the things we can't get. Our shopping though (cost wise) is 80% Aldi. We're quite happy with most things in the food and household product range, some things we prefer tastewise.

p.s. note to idpickering....the cheap ice creams at Aldi are water and ice. The more expensive ones ( relatively speaking) are quite nice.. (Monabri's consumer shopping tip for July ;) ).

I am quite prepared to come to the defence of Unilever. I buy their products when I can although I never buy mayonnaise anyway; it just spoils a decent salad. Unilever has done very well over the years although I am quite prepared to believe that it may well be under pressure at the moment, but so is any business in the retail marketplace such as the two remaining quoted supermarkets I have no doubt. It is very fashionable to jump on bandwagons and decry something; we all seem to love to do that.

As for ice ream I buy very little except at the moment as it goes very well with all the soft fruit around. I tend to buy a Sottish one, Mackie's.

Dod

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”