Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

GlaxoSmithKline PLC (GSK)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: GlaxoSmithKline PLC (GSK)

Postby Dod101 » August 15th, 2021, 12:32 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:
TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:

Not sure what you mean by that. What I think it means is that GSK is distributing shares in the Consumer Healthcare Business to shareholders and retaining some shares itself, but less than 20%. Holding less than 20% avoids accounting complications. They can them sell those shares when they need to raise cash for the pharma business.

It is not a comment on the respective value of the Pharma business as opposed to the Consumer Healthcare business.

Apologies, perhaps I've misunderstood this sentence:

demerger in mid-2022 of at least 80% of GSK's holding to shareholders

that looks like their way of saying 80% of the total value of GSK equity goes into the new firm. In other words, suppose my portfolio breakdown includes this line currently the day before the demerger

then by applying my literal interpretation the italicised as quoted from RNS, then I'd expect the following two lines in the breakdown on the day of the demerger.

That's all.

Matt

That could not possibly be correct. As Scrumpyjack says, break out the new healthcare company, and distribute at least 80% of the shares in it to existing shareholders in Glaxo. Glaxo will be left with a trade investment in the new healthcare company holding <20% which they can retain or sell when it seems appropriate. Meanwhile the Glaxo pharma company will get on with its business.

If you are saying that the RNS literally says that Glaxo intends to assign 80% of its value to the new healthcare company (is that what you are saying?) why on earth would they do that?

Dod

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » August 15th, 2021, 12:34 pm

Dod,

Just because I say something, that doesn't necessarily imply any assertion that what I've just said is correct. I'm still learning my way around interpretation of RNSs and quoted figures.

Matt

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » August 15th, 2021, 12:37 pm

Also it is not up to GSK to assign 'value' to the shareholdings. Mr Market will determine that when both are quoted!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 15th, 2021, 1:16 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:Dod,

Just because I say something, that doesn't necessarily imply any assertion that what I've just said is correct. I'm still learning my way around interpretation of RNSs and quoted figures.

Matt

That is interesting thank you. When I say something you can take that, unless I qualify it, I believe it to be correct.

Anyway, if you think about it, what you said and your interpretation of what the RNS is telling us could not possibly be correct. It is always worth while applying a common sense test. Why would Glaxo assign 80% of its assets to a spin off healthcare company? Why would such a company need such a huge capitalisation especially when you would be left with a pharma company with huge capital requirements for basic research?

I am not trying to be clever but it seems pretty basic to me.

Dod

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » August 15th, 2021, 9:55 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:Apologies, perhaps I've misunderstood this sentence:

that looks like their way of saying 80% of the total value of GSK equity goes into the new firm. ...

Yes, you've misunderstood it. If it had said "GSK's holdings" (plural), it might have meant that it was distributing 80% of everything GSK owns to shareholders (though as others have pointed out, it's highly unlikely that it would do that - so unlikely that a typo would be a more believable explanation, despite that fact that companies generally take a lot of care to say exactly what they mean in RNSes...). But it actually says "GSK's holding" (singular), so it means 80% of one particular thing GSK owns - and in the context, that one particular thing has to be Consumer Healthcare.

Gengulphus

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » August 16th, 2021, 7:12 am

Gengulphus wrote:

that looks like their way of saying 80% of the total value of GSK equity goes into the new firm. ...

Yes, you've misunderstood it. If it had said "GSK's holdings" (plural), it might have meant that it was distributing 80% of everything GSK owns to shareholders (though as others have pointed out, it's highly unlikely that it would do that - so unlikely that a typo would be a more believable explanation, despite that fact that companies generally take a lot of care to say exactly what they mean in RNSes...). But it actually says "GSK's holding" (singular), so it means 80% of one particular thing GSK owns - and in the context, that one particular thing has to be Consumer Healthcare.

Gengulphus

Thanks Gengulphus

I still don't quite understand. Who will own the remaining 20%? Presumably not minority interests, that would seem too large a figure for that.

I appreciate that Dod previously suggested that Glaxo will hold the remaining 20% of the equity. I guess my point was/is that I'd always assumed that all a firm's equity was owned by external owners and institutions. What you people seem to have eluded to contradicts this previously held view of mine, you suggest that the firm itself (Glaxo in this case) has rights of ownership. My earlier assumption was that, excepting that company staff often hold stock, and hence are owners in their own right, the company (i.e. its board, BUs and departments) do not have implicit ownership rights, but only have a management function.

A ha. My last guess. The remaining 20% (or whatever) will be owned by that "Parent Company" thing. This was something which IIRC you and I touched on briefly when I first joined TLF, in discussions relating to company consolidation. I believe, one or two earlier posters may have eluded to this, but didn't mention the word Parent so I remained unpersuaded by those comments.

If the 80% goes to the external holders, and the 20% to the Parent Company, then that makes more sense. I'm still curious as to who exactly owns the "parent" ;)

thanks again,
Matt

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » August 16th, 2021, 9:52 am

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:
What you people seem to have eluded to contradicts ...
I believe, one or two earlier posters may have eluded to this,

Alluded to.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » August 16th, 2021, 10:18 am

GrahamPlatt wrote:
TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:
What you people seem to have eluded to contradicts ...
I believe, one or two earlier posters may have eluded to this,

Alluded to.

Apologies, I stand corrected! :D

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 16th, 2021, 10:53 am

All companies, certainly the size of Glaxo, have subsidiary companies where all or a majority of shares are held by the parent company. They also usually own shares in companies, sometimes called associates where they own less than a controlling interest. They comprise what is usually known as the Group, that is the parent and all its subsidiary and associated companies. But Matt must know this as he studies company accounts.

The new healthcare company is going to be formed by Glaxo and will presumably be owned 100% at first. They will then distribute rather more than 80% of the shares in the new company to existing Glaxo shareholders, leaving Glaxo itself, the parent, with less than 20%. It means that it can hand over responsibility for the management of this part of its business to the Board of the new company and get on with what it sees as its primary business as a pharma company. That is very different from manufacturing and selling toothpaste for instance and will allow it to concentrate on research and development of new medical drugs.

Dod

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 16th, 2021, 11:30 am

Dod101 wrote:...its primary business as a pharma company.

Yes, it's funny how corporate fashions wax and wane.
At one time, diverse income streams were deemed a good thing, cross-pollination, smoothing of cashflows.
Beechams owned Lucozade, Ribena, Tango, Corona, Quosh, Horlicks - they had farms, made cheese - and of course otc medicines especially Beechams Powders and Enos, and Consumer care with its toothpaste, mouthwash. Even competing brands of toothpaste, Macleans, Aquafresh and Sensodyne.
And then there was Brylcreem, not sure how that ever fitted in.
Now it's all about focusing on one's core.

I persuaded my wife to unload a goodly chunk of GSK last week as we are still overweight from her time working there, and with the divi cut there is little rationale for holding. I expect now the SP will rise as usually happens when I persuade her to sell something.

V8

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » August 16th, 2021, 11:39 am

Dod101 wrote:All companies, certainly the size of Glaxo, have subsidiary companies where all or a majority of shares are held by the parent company. They also usually own shares in companies, sometimes called associates where they own less than a controlling interest. They comprise what is usually known as the Group, that is the parent and all its subsidiary and associated companies. But Matt must know this as he studies company accounts.

To be honest, I only read the "consolidated" reports, not those of the parent company. What with my other interests and responsiblities, family, busy/stressful job, hobbies (I've got today off, that's why I'm chatty), I really just don't have the time. As such I've not, so far, fully analysed the minutaie of company ownership.

The new healthcare company is going to be formed by Glaxo and will presumably be owned 100% at first. They will then distribute rather more than 80% of the shares in the new company to existing Glaxo shareholders, leaving Glaxo itself, the parent, with less than 20%.

Ok. So recollecting the original RNS that we were discussing, I take it that you are explicitly stating a legal entity called the parent company will own the remaining 20% or so.

Given that all public companies, start off being owned by people, and as companies grow, clearly this continues to be the case, as no part of a public company (other than those that become part nationalised) is owned by the State or the bond holders (they merely have claims on the profits), who actually owns the parent company?

thanks Matt

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 16th, 2021, 12:02 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:
The new healthcare company is going to be formed by Glaxo and will presumably be owned 100% at first. They will then distribute rather more than 80% of the shares in the new company to existing Glaxo shareholders, leaving Glaxo itself, the parent, with less than 20%.

Ok. So recollecting the original RNS that we were discussing, I take it that you are explicitly stating a legal entity called the parent company will own the remaining 20% or so.

Given that all public companies, start off being owned by people, and as companies grow, clearly this continues to be the case, as no part of a public company (other than those that become part nationalised) is owned by the State or the bond holders (they merely have claims on the profits), who actually owns the parent company?

thanks Matt

Hi Matt
Well I cannot state explicitly that the remaining 20% or so will necessarily be owned by the parent company but according to their RNS it will be owned either directly by the parent company or by a subsidiary of the parent company. Often they have intermediary holding companies sometimes for tax reasons. For us shareholders it comes to the same thing.

Those who actually own the parent company are the shareholders, you, me, and other individuals but mostly these days so called institutions, pension funds, fund managers like Baillie Gifford, SLA and similar and of course platforms that manage ISAs etc. It is a pity that the share certificate is no longer much held by individuals because that makes it absolutely clear that Joe Bloggs owns x number of shares in say GlaxoSmithKline PLC. It also means that the name Joe Bloggs appears on the share register which all companies must maintain (although I guess these days all public companies will subcontract that to a Share Registrar) and also means that Joe Bloggs directly receives all Reports and statements from the company. It is a great shame I think that ISA and SIPP regulations require there to be a manager to hold the shares on behalf of the beneficial owners as it removes the feeling of proprietorship from these beneficial owners.

Does that help?

Dod

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » August 16th, 2021, 12:37 pm

Dod101 wrote:
TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:

thanks Matt

Hi Matt
Well I cannot state explicitly that the remaining 20% or so will necessarily be owned by the parent company but according to their RNS it will be owned either directly by the parent company or by a subsidiary of the parent company. Often they have intermediary holding companies sometimes for tax reasons. For us shareholders it comes to the same thing.

Those who actually own the parent company are the shareholders, you, me, and other individuals but mostly these days so called institutions, pension funds, fund managers like Baillie Gifford, SLA and similar and of course platforms that manage ISAs etc. It is a pity that the share certificate is no longer much held by individuals because that makes it absolutely clear that Joe Bloggs owns x number of shares in say GlaxoSmithKline PLC. It also means that the name Joe Bloggs appears on the share register which all companies must maintain (although I guess these days all public companies will subcontract that to a Share Registrar) and also means that Joe Bloggs directly receives all Reports and statements from the company. It is a great shame I think that ISA and SIPP regulations require there to be a manager to hold the shares on behalf of the beneficial owners as it removes the feeling of proprietorship from these beneficial owners.

Does that help?

Dod

A little bit, thanks.

I think I need to take a look on youtube for bit, to see if I can find a helpful explanation of the difference between my/yours type of ownership and that of the parent.

thanks Matt

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » August 16th, 2021, 12:43 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:

I still don't quite understand. Who will own the remaining 20%? Presumably not minority interests, that would seem too large a figure for that.

If you sell or otherwise dispose of 80% of one of your holdings, who owns the remaining 20%? The obvious answer is that you do - nothing's changed the ownership of that 20%, and so it remains owned by its previous owner, namely you. The same principle applies to GlaxoSmithKline's ownership of its Consumer Healthcare subsidiary.

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:I appreciate that Dod previously suggested that Glaxo will hold the remaining 20% of the equity. I guess my point was/is that I'd always assumed that all a firm's equity was owned by external owners and institutions. What you people seem to have eluded to contradicts this previously held view of mine, you suggest that the firm itself (Glaxo in this case) has rights of ownership. My earlier assumption was that, excepting that company staff often hold stock, and hence are owners in their own right, the company (i.e. its board, BUs and departments) do not have implicit ownership rights, but only have a management function.

A ha. My last guess. The remaining 20% (or whatever) will be owned by that "Parent Company" thing. This was something which IIRC you and I touched on briefly when I first joined TLF, in discussions relating to company consolidation. I believe, one or two earlier posters may have eluded to this, but didn't mention the word Parent so I remained unpersuaded by those comments.

If the 80% goes to the external holders, and the 20% to the Parent Company, then that makes more sense. I'm still curious as to who exactly owns the "parent" ;)

Yes, that guess is basically correct, but to fill in the details:

The parent company is the company named GlaxoSmithKline plc (registered at Companies House as company 03888792), and it is owned by the shareholders of that company, including many of us. And that parent company is all that we shareholders own directly, but the parent company owns shares in other companies, and some of those companies in turn own shares in yet other companies, and so on, so we indirectly own shares in all of those other companies. GlaxoSmithKline's consolidated accounts are an attempt (*) to tell GlaxoSmithKline's shareholders how everything we own directly and indirectly as a result of owning GlaxoSmithKline pls shares is doing collectively, its parent-company accounts tell us how what we own directly (i.e. GlaxoSmithKline plc itself) is doing on its own.

One of GlaxoSmithKline plc's 100%-owned subsidiaries is a company called GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Holdings Limited (registered at Companies House as company 08998608) - to confirm that its shares are 100% owned by GlaxoSmithKline plc (or at least was as of October last year), click on the link's "Filing history" tab and then on the most recent confirmation statement's "View PDF" link. It's a plausible candidate for the company 80%+ of whose shares GlaxoSmithKline is intending to distribute to its shareholders next year, though that's a guess on my part based on its name rather than anything I know for certain. (Don't regard its small number of shares, the fact that it's not a plc, or its unlikely name for a publicly-quoted company as problems with that guess - they are all matters that a 100% owner can readily change.)

If GlaxoSmithKline plc were to distribute say 85% of its shares in that company to GlaxoSmithKline plc's shareholders and retain the remaining 15% of those shares for itself, no issue of a company owning its own shares would be involved. A company owning its own shares can happen, and does whenever a company buys back its own shares and puts them into "treasury" rather than cancelling them. But shares in treasury are essentially pretty insubstantial 'ghosts' of shares - they can't be voted, they're not entitled to dividends and other distributions, they're ignored in EPS calculations, etc. The basic reason for them being held by the company is just that if the company wishes to later issue shares (for instance for an employee share scheme), various bits of admin to do with releasing them from treasury are simpler than for issuing new shares to replace shares that have previously been cancelled.

There would also not be an immediate "minority interest" issue resulting from GlaxoSmithKline's continuing 15% stake in the Consumer Healthcare company. The reason for that is that "minority interests" arise when a parent company consolidates its subsidiaries' consolidated accounts into its own accounts, to account for any of those subsidiaries it doesn't 100% own (see (*) below). But after the distribution of Consumer Healthcare company's shares to GlaxoSmithKline's shareholders, no other company owns more than 50% of the Consumer Healthcare company's shares - i.e. it is not a subsidiary of any other company, and so it cannot cause "minority interests" to arise for any other company. It will have subsidiaries of its own, brought with it when it was removed from GlaxoSmithKline's group of companies by the share distribution, but those subsidiaries won't include GlaxoSmithKline plc and so while it may have "minority interest" issues of its own, they won't be caused by GlaxoSmithKline's 15% stake.

There might ultimately be "minority interest" issues resulting from GlaxoSmithKline's continuing 15% stake in the Consumer Healthcare company, but only as a consequence of future developments. For instance, if ThirdCompany plc were subsequently to take over the Consumer Healthcare company, without actually managing to acquire GlaxoSmithKline's stake (this is a possible outcome of a 'traditional' takeover offer, though not one done by a scheme of arrangement, as most seem to be these days), then GlaxoSmithKline's stake would cause a "minority interest" in ThirdCompany plc's consolidated accounts.

(*) I say that they're an attempt because the benefit from indirect ownership of another company varies in a somewhat complex way according to the percentage owned. E.g. if GlaxoSmithKline owns 85% of another company's shares and another shareholder of that other company owns the remaining 15%, GlaxoSmithKline plc completely controls that other company (**): it can appoint and fire directors of that other company as it wishes, and by using that ability if necessary, force that other company to enter or leave business areas, pay or not pay dividends, wind itself up, etc. The other shareholder has no similar control. If instead GlaxoSmithKline owned 15% of the other company's shares and the other shareholder the remaining 85%, the positions would be reversed. The result is that the 85%:15% ownership split would correctly describe the entitlements of the two shareholders to the financial benefits from the company - i.e. dividends and other distributions, including the final capital distributions if the company were to be wound up, but the control split would basically be 100%:0%. And since being able to control a company to fit in with one's own financial plans is of value, the straight 85%:15% split isn't in general the best way to arrive at how the companies we own indirectly are doing for us. Accounting rules try to deal with that by treating shareholdings in other companies in different ways according to the percentage owned of that other company. E.g. an 85% subsidiary (a subsidiary is a company that is more than 50% owned) is dealt with by entirely including the subsidiary's accounts (meaning its own consolidated accounts if it has subsidiaries of its own) in the parent company's consolidated accounts, but adding "minority interest" items to reflect the 15% non-entitlement to the financial benefits. As another example, the 15% investment is treated like other investments: an asset that has a capital value and might be generating income. There are a number of other treatments, depending on the percentage range the ownership is in - I don't remember all the details (and this footnote is long enough anyway!). But what the accounting rules involved are trying to get at is to some extent a matter of opinion, and so they can only really be an attempt to arrive at it - generally quite a good attempt IMHO, but nevertheless an attempt.

(**) Within the law, of course - the other company cannot be forced to break the legal limit on not paying dividends in excess of its distributable reserves, for example. That might also include having to adhere to previously-made legal agreements GlaxoSmithKline might have made about how it exercises that control. E.g. in some circumstances, a shareholder's agreement made in the course of getting to that ownership distribution might say that the 15% shareholder retains the right to appoint a director: that would limit GlaxoSmithKline's control of the other company's board of directors.

Gengulphus

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 16th, 2021, 12:51 pm

I suggest that you look for a diagram showing the Group structure for a typical large company. It is not really difficult. At the top you have the parent and then the various subsidiary and associated companies below that.

Or take a list of subsidiaries in the notes to the accounts of a typical public company. They usually show the percentage ownership by the parent company. Without writing a book on company accounting (which I am certainly not qualified to do) it is difficult to explain much more but I would suggest that you take say Glaxo's Annual Report and study both the group accounts and the parent company accounts together with the accompanying notes. It is all there one way or another.

I see that Gengulphus has written at more length than I have so I hope that between us you now have a clearer idea.

Dod

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » August 16th, 2021, 12:52 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:Also it is not up to GSK to assign 'value' to the shareholdings. Mr Market will determine that when both are quoted!

If you reread my post you'll see that I was attempting to illustrate the 1) marketable value of my GSK holding on the very last day prior to the demerger to 2) the values assigned to the two new entities CustomerHealthCare and NewGSK (the moment the market opens) on the demerger day. Apologies if I wasn't overly clear on that :)

Hence Mr. Market, won't have had time to adjust the values. I assume regards the relative division of the 100% of my GSK shares (the last day) into x% of the HealthCare firm and y% of the NewGSK, that either GSK board and/or a special demerger authority would be responsible for determining how the book values split, hence how the relative initial market values of my new holdings will look on the first day that these two bodies are separate legal entities.

I've not had a demerger happen to any of my stocks yet.....so I'm somewhat curious as to how this one will commence.

Matt

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » August 16th, 2021, 1:19 pm

Hi G,

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. It makes a lot more sense to me now, and I can see that the 80 or so% mentioned in that RNS, doesn't apply to the split of the book values of the constituent BUs of the Healthcare part VS the NewGSK part.

Gengulphus wrote:If GlaxoSmithKline plc were to distribute say 85% of its shares in that company to GlaxoSmithKline plc's shareholders and retain the remaining 15% of those shares for itself, no issue of a company owning its own shares would be involved.

Always the inquisitive, that leaves me remaining with wondering why the NewGSK would wish to hold onto 20 or so% ownership of Healthcare. I can't see that it makes much difference to us existing shareholders. Perhaps it because some of the BUs have related internal teams and/or projects, so it was very difficult, hence not profitable to cleanly split.

Matt

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » August 16th, 2021, 2:06 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:Hi G,

Always the inquisitive, that leaves me remaining with wondering why the NewGSK would wish to hold onto 20 or so% ownership of Healthcare. I can't see that it makes much difference to us existing shareholders. Perhaps it because some of the BUs have related internal teams and/or projects, so it was very difficult, hence not profitable to cleanly split.

Matt

Because it leaves the continuing GSK with a marketable asset they can turn into cash as and when they want to. The same is happening with Prudential and its demerger of Jackson Financial. They will have a holding of just under 20% of the quoted Jackson Financial and can sell some of those shares whenever they want to.

Always convenient for directors to have such a marketable asset to hand!

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » August 16th, 2021, 3:12 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:
TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:Hi G,

Matt

Because it leaves the continuing GSK with a marketable asset they can turn into cash as and when they want to. The same is happening with Prudential and its demerger of Jackson Financial. They will have a holding of just under 20% of the quoted Jackson Financial and can sell some of those shares whenever they want to.

Always convenient for directors to have such a marketable asset to hand!

Thanks. Strictly speaking they are our shares, not the GSK directors'.
Matt

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » August 16th, 2021, 3:38 pm

Well the shares representing the 19.x% holding in the Consumer Healthcare are owned by GSK and so the decision on what to do with them and how to spend any sale proceeds lies with the directors of GSK as is the case with any other asset of GSK.

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”