Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

AstraZeneca PLC (AZN)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: AstraZeneca PLC (AZN)

Postby idpickering » October 15th, 2021, 7:13 am

Imfinzi & tremelimumab improved OS in liver cancer

Positive high-level results from the HIMALAYA Phase III trial showed a single, high priming dose of tremelimumab added to Imfinzi (durvalumab) demonstrated a statistically significant and clinically meaningful overall survival (OS) benefit versus sorafenib as a 1st-line treatment for patients with unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) who had not received prior systemic therapy and were not eligible for localised treatment . This novel dose and schedule of tremelimumab, an anti-CTLA4 antibody, and Imfinzi is called the STRIDE regimen (Single Tremelimumab Regular Interval Durvalumab). The combination demonstrated a favourable safety profile, and the addition of tremelimumab to Imfinzi did not increase severe hepatic toxicity

https://www.investegate.co.uk/astrazene ... 00032136P/

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » October 15th, 2021, 10:49 pm

My ex wife worked for a medical communications agency. They were subcontracted out by big pharmas to push new drugs into the medical community.

She would write medical papers (she was a seasoned PhD with several Nature publications with a hand in the polio vaccine development) for pharmaceutical firms to be delivered at conferences in exotic locations around the world by the leading clinical authorities. The questions from the floor were rehearsed the day before the conference. Everyone relevant was invited on these all expenses paid jollies.

So it is that drugs with questionable efficacy are pushed as if they are God's gift to humanity.

Be very sceptical but benefit from the stock market's complete blindness to the actual merits of any drug.

Chris

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » October 18th, 2021, 7:23 am

AstraZeneca recommends shareholders reject 'Mini-Tender' Offer by TRC Capital Investment Corporation

AstraZeneca PLC (AstraZeneca) (NASDAQ: AZN) announced today that it has received notification of an unsolicited 'mini-tender' offer to holders of American Depositary Shares (ADSs) in AstraZeneca by TRC Capital Investment Corporation of Toronto, Canada (TRC Capital). The offer documentation indicates that TRC Capital offers to purchase up to 2,000,000 ADSs, equivalent to approximately 0.06% of the outstanding Ordinary Shares in AstraZeneca, at a price of $57.88 per ADS in cash. TRC Capital's offer price is 4.5% less than the closing price per share of an ADS on the Nasdaq Stock Market on October 8, 2021, the last trading day before the mini-tender offer commenced.

AstraZeneca does not in any way recommend or endorse the TRC Capital offer and recommends that shareholders reject the offer because the offer price is below the market price for ADSs immediately prior to this announcement.

Shareholders are advised that TRC Capital has reserved the right to delay payment for ADSs tendered, to withdraw its offer at any time and to amend its offer in any respect. TRC Capital may also decline to purchase ADSs tendered if any one of numerous conditions is not satisfied, including receipt by TRC Capital, on terms satisfactory to TRC Capital, of financing necessary to complete the offer or if there is any decrease in the market price of the AstraZeneca ADSs.

AstraZeneca shareholders who have already tendered their ADSs are advised that they may withdraw their shares by providing the written notice of withdrawal as described in the TRC Capital offer documentation prior to 12:01 a.m., New York City time, on November 9, 2021.

TRC Capital over the past several years has made numerous unsolicited 'mini-tender' offers for other companies' shares. Neither AstraZeneca nor any of its directors or officers is affiliated with TRC Capital.

'Mini-tender' offers are offers to purchase less than five percent of a company's outstanding shares, thereby avoiding many of the filing, disclosure and procedural requirements of the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). 'Mini-tender' offers do not therefore provide investors with the same level of protection as provided by larger tender offers under United States securities laws. The SEC has cautioned investors about mini-tender offers noting that "some bidders make mini-tender offers at below-market prices, hoping that they will catch investors off guard if the investors do not compare the offer price to the current market price." The SEC also published investor tips regarding these offers on its website at: http://www.sec.gov/investor/pubs/minitend.htm .

https://www.investegate.co.uk/astrazene ... 00063071P/

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » October 18th, 2021, 9:55 am

They must think investors are rather dim.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » October 18th, 2021, 10:19 pm

As someone pointed out regarding another firm recently, shouldn't the directors put the case for and against then leave it up to the shareholders rather than engage in recommending?

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » October 25th, 2021, 7:19 am

Imfinzi improved survival in biliary tract cancer

Positive high-level results from the TOPAZ-1 Phase III trial showed Imfinzi (durvalumab), in combination with standard-of-care chemotherapy, demonstrated a statistically significant and clinically meaningful overall survival (OS) benefit versus chemotherapy alone as a 1st-line treatment for patients with advanced biliary tract cancer (BTC ).

https://www.investegate.co.uk/astrazene ... 00141081Q/

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 9th, 2021, 4:05 pm

AstraZeneca to create separate division for vaccines, antibody therapies.

AstraZeneca AZN.L is creating a separate division for vaccines and antibody therapies to be led by senior executive Iskra Reić, the drugmaker said on Tuesday, as it builds focus on its COVID-19 shot and development of coronavirus treatments.

Reuters in July reported that the Anglo-Swedish company was exploring options for its vaccine business and expected to have greater clarity on the matter by the end of 2021.

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/astraze ... -therapies

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 12th, 2021, 7:13 am

Year to date and Q3 2021 results

Total Revenue in the year to date, including Alexion from 21 July 2021, was $25,406m, representing growth of 32% (28% at CER). Total Revenue in the third quarter increased by 50% (48% at CER) to $9,866m

- Excluding the pandemic COVID-19 vaccine, Total Revenue increased 21% (17% at CER) in the year to date to $23,187m, and by 34% (32% at CER) in the quarter to $8,816m

- Eight positive Phase III results since June, with potential to change standard of care in several diseases

- Alexion integration progressing well, creating new opportunities in rare diseases

- Operating Expenses in the quarter reflected the addition of Alexion, as well increased R&D expenses across multiple programs, investment in our COVID-19 medicines, and increased SG&A from pre-launch activities following successful pipeline delivery

- Earnings guidance for the full year is unchanged

https://www.investegate.co.uk/astrazene ... 00021625S/

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » November 12th, 2021, 11:06 am

idpickering wrote:Year to date and Q3 2021 results

Total Revenue in the year to date, including Alexion from 21 July 2021, was $25,406m, representing growth of 32% (28% at CER). Total Revenue in the third quarter increased by 50% (48% at CER) to $9,866m

- Excluding the pandemic COVID-19 vaccine, Total Revenue increased 21% (17% at CER) in the year to date to $23,187m, and by 34% (32% at CER) in the quarter to $8,816m

- Eight positive Phase III results since June, with potential to change standard of care in several diseases

- Alexion integration progressing well, creating new opportunities in rare diseases

- Operating Expenses in the quarter reflected the addition of Alexion, as well increased R&D expenses across multiple programs, investment in our COVID-19 medicines, and increased SG&A from pre-launch activities following successful pipeline delivery

Seems Mr Market was unimpressed (Was more expected?). Shares down 4.5% as I write.

VRD

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » November 12th, 2021, 11:48 am

This piece on the BBC that AZN are going to start making a profit on the covid vaccine:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59256223

Though it still sounds as if they are going to be making much less of a mark up than Pfizer or Moderna.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 12th, 2021, 3:13 pm

vrdiver wrote:
idpickering wrote:Year to date and Q3 2021 results

Seems Mr Market was unimpressed (Was more expected?). Shares down 4.5% as I write.

VRD

Maybe so, but they've had a good run up in share price recently, so this 'blip' , which imho is just that, a blip, won't cause me to do anything else with my AZN shares, other than to just continue holding them for the long term. It never ceases to surprise me at just how short sighted some investors are, but each to their own I guess.

Ian.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » November 12th, 2021, 3:33 pm

I, too, am happy with things so far this year. Still up on my top up earlier in the year and we knew that the vaccine wasn't going to be profitable initially. I am quite happy to contribute to paying for it for those less fortunate.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 12th, 2021, 3:36 pm

Bouleversee wrote:I, too, am happy with things so far this year. Still up on my top up earlier in the year and we knew that the vaccine wasn't going to be profitable initially. I am quite happy to contribute to paying for it for those less fortunate.

Well said Lorna, me too. Thanks for your input.

Ian.

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » November 12th, 2021, 4:21 pm

Bouleversee wrote:I, too, am happy with things so far this year. Still up on my top up earlier in the year and we knew that the vaccine wasn't going to be profitable initially. I am quite happy to contribute to paying for it for those less fortunate.

Quite so.

I topped up mid-year at 7628, so am relaxed by a fall to 8800. A blip perhaps, as Ian says.

I don't think that the Covid vaccine is particularly relevant to AZN's business per se and I have reservations about putting more money into Pfizer's pocket for a booster when much of the third worid hasn't even had one jab.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » November 12th, 2021, 10:47 pm

idpickering wrote:...they've had a good run up in share price recently, so this 'blip' , which imho is just that, a blip, won't cause me to do anything else with my AZN shares, other than to just continue holding them for the long term. It never ceases to surprise me at just how short sighted some investors are, but each to their own I guess.

Ian.

Can't argue with you there Ian. I read the results link you posted and liked it, so was somewhat surprised by the market's reaction.

VRD

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » November 18th, 2021, 4:51 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/1 ... -vaccines/

Paywalled but surely will be reported elsewhere....Macron WILL be cross! ?.. ;)

"A Covid drug derived from the immune cells of virus survivors gives better protection than vaccines after six months and could last for a year, trial results suggest.

On Thursday, AstraZeneca announced that its AZD7442 antibody injection reduces the risk of symptomatic Covid by 83 per cent six months after a single dose."

"The injection could be a breakthrough in treatment for elderly and immunocompromised people who cannot mount an adequate immune response against the virus even after vaccination.

The research of both trials has been submitted for peer review and is expected to be published in the coming weeks. "

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » November 19th, 2021, 5:29 pm

Wouldn't you have expected that news to make the s.p. rocket but it's back to less than I topped up at months ago? I shall never understand the stock market. It's just what those of us who are old and/or vulnerable need as we haven't a clue what our antibody levels are and how safe it is to resume a reasonably normal life. I am hosting a family party in a restaurant for my son's 50th birthday and despite being triple jabbed I still feel rather nervous about being so close to people, including teenage children.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » November 20th, 2021, 8:14 am

Bouleversee wrote:Wouldn't you have expected that news to make the s.p. rocket but it's back to less than I topped up at months ago? I shall never understand the stock market. It's just what those of us who are old and/or vulnerable need as we haven't a clue what our antibody levels are and how safe it is to resume a reasonably normal life.

Not necessarily. What's the route for this to be an increased monetised benefit to the company?

AZN have been operating a (quasi) not-for-profit Covid vaccine product anyway. Is this going to change?

Even if so, there are 2 effects here. One, this new drug is more compelling relative to it's competitors (than previously thought). So potentially more demand (and often increased margin too). Secondly the life of the product is extended, which actually reduces demand for it, and previous alternatives. (Think about light bulbs - if the "forever" bulb was invented, you would only buy it once).

What is the compelling reason for a rocketing share price in your view? You hint that for people like you, perhaps, old and vulnerable and rather nervous, this is a good thing. It quite probably is. But how much are you willing to pay for it? I suspect most will expect it to be free (to them at the point of delivery) on the NHS.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » November 20th, 2021, 11:10 am

dealtn wrote:AZN have been operating a (quasi) not-for-profit Covid vaccine product anyway. Is this going to change?

I believe so...

From Forbes magazine, 12th Nov:
AstraZeneca Will Now Profit From Covid Vaccine After Pledge To Sell At Cost During Pandemic

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2021/11/12/astrazeneca-will-now-profit-from-covid-vaccine-after-pledge-to-sell-at-cost-during-pandemic/?sh=7ff8e6f9779d

VRD

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » November 20th, 2021, 12:55 pm

dealtn wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:Wouldn't you have expected that news to make the s.p. rocket but it's back to less than I topped up at months ago? I shall never understand the stock market. It's just what those of us who are old and/or vulnerable need as we haven't a clue what our antibody levels are and how safe it is to resume a reasonably normal life.

Not necessarily. What's the route for this to be an increased monetised benefit to the company?

AZN have been operating a (quasi) not-for-profit Covid vaccine product anyway. Is this going to change?

Even if so, there are 2 effects here. One, this new drug is more compelling relative to it's competitors (than previously thought). So potentially more demand (and often increased margin too). Secondly the life of the product is extended, which actually reduces demand for it, and previous alternatives. (Think about light bulbs - if the "forever" bulb was invented, you would only buy it once).

What is the compelling reason for a rocketing share price in your view? You hint that for people like you, perhaps, old and vulnerable and rather nervous, this is a good thing. It quite probably is. But how much are you willing to pay for it? I suspect most will expect it to be free (to them at the point of delivery) on the NHS.

AZN is already charging for their vaccine, apart from the poorer countries. If you missed that, you may also have missed research reports which had shown that some people, Asians in particular, were genetically more pre-disposed to suffer severe consequences from Covid infection and that immuno-compromised people did not produce any antibodies. Since our antibody levels are not routinely tested after vaccination, we don't know to what extent we are protected even though some of us have had 3 jabs this year. Assuming the outcome of the trials is positive and approval is forthcoming, and assuming the cost of one dose of the new drug is no more than 2 or 3 doses of any vaccine and bearing in mind the saving on administering it, freeing up medical staff for other essential but now delayed purposes, plus the possibility that many more lives could be saved I should have thought AZN would be on a win-win and yes, I would expect to get it on the NHS if appropriate for me. Why not? I don't have to pay for my jabs. However, I am just a dippy old Doris who doesn't claim to be an expert, unlike you. I thought there would be an immediate rise in the s.p. even if it fell back again if further news was disappointing. It remains to be seen how this will develop.

I haven't heard anything about the price as yet. Have you heard that the cost would be astronomic compared with the cost of the vaccines?

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”