Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

AstraZeneca PLC (AZN)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Re: AstraZeneca PLC (AZN)

Postby Bouleversee » December 15th, 2020, 11:42 am

Not sure what you mean by that, Mon. Both types of Fool have mentioned it. "Let's hope not" what?

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » December 15th, 2020, 11:46 am

The suggestion is that AZN will have to increase the bid to $200 a share to get it accepted by Alexion shareholders

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » December 15th, 2020, 12:37 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:The suggestion is that AZN will have to increase the bid to $200 a share to get it accepted by Alexion shareholders

Yes, I posted about that yesterday, as a probable explanation for s.p. drop. Motley Fool mentioned that sp was off more than 20% from high.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 15th, 2020, 1:02 pm

The article highlighted by monabri seems to be talking about a different company. I cannot recall the peak price ever being £101.20. My records have it around £90 briefly in July. It is now quoted around £75 but that is a long way from either £101 or £10. It seems that the market is nervous about this proposed takeover but who knows?

Dod

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » December 15th, 2020, 1:11 pm

According to Google finance AZN's 52 week SP high was 101.20
Must have been an intraday high rather than closing price

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » December 15th, 2020, 1:48 pm

Ah, I see now: Mon's humour, TMF's bloomer :lol:

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Postby AJC5001 » December 15th, 2020, 10:55 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:According to Google finance AZN's 52 week SP high was 101.20
Must have been an intraday high rather than closing price

According to Yahoo https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/quote/AZN.L/history?p=AZN.L on 20th July.

Adrian

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » December 15th, 2020, 10:58 pm

Yes, I remember that intra-day high as I realised it represented a quintupling of the share price compared to my original book cost and made a note of it.

Best wishes

Mark.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » December 22nd, 2020, 6:53 pm

If you are wondering why the s.p. is down again today it is probably because, according to ADVFN's evening bulletin:

"AstraZeneca shares fell as the company said the experimental asthma drug developed with US partner Amgen failed to meet the main goal of a late-stage trial."

AZN was one of my few top ups this year; not working out at all well a.t.m. but I daresay it will recover with some good news before too long.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 27th, 2020, 8:21 am

AstraZeneca boss: Oxford team have found 'winning formula' for Covid vaccine

AstraZeneca chief Pascal Soriot told the Sunday Times he believed researchers had found the "winning formula" using two doses and promised to publish the results as reports suggested the UK regulator could approve the jab within days.

The claim will come as some relief even as Canada became the latest country to identify cases of the new highly infectious variant of coronavirus, which was first detected in the UK and has since spread to at least a dozen countries.

And Chancellor Rishi Sunak praised vaccination efforts so far, telling the Mail on Sunday: "There will be tough days and months ahead, but there are reasons to look ahead to a brighter future and what 2021 promises.

"The early roll-out of vaccines - and the incredible work of our scientists and NHS - means we can now see light at the end of the tunnel with this pandemic."

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/astrazeneca- ... d-vaccine/

More on this from Sky News here; https://news.sky.com/story/astrazeneca- ... e-12173341

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » December 27th, 2020, 8:36 am

idpickering wrote:AstraZeneca boss: Oxford team have found 'winning formula' for Covid vaccine

AstraZeneca chief Pascal Soriot told the Sunday Times he believed researchers had found the "winning formula" using two doses and promised to publish the results as reports suggested the UK regulator could approve the jab within days.

The claim will come as some relief even as Canada became the latest country to identify cases of the new highly infectious variant of coronavirus, which was first detected in the UK and has since spread to at least a dozen countries.

And Chancellor Rishi Sunak praised vaccination efforts so far, telling the Mail on Sunday: "There will be tough days and months ahead, but there are reasons to look ahead to a brighter future and what 2021 promises.

"The early roll-out of vaccines - and the incredible work of our scientists and NHS - means we can now see light at the end of the tunnel with this pandemic."

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/astrazeneca- ... d-vaccine/

More on this from Sky News here; https://news.sky.com/story/astrazeneca- ... e-12173341

=================================

Pascal Soriot believes????

:roll:

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 27th, 2020, 9:32 am

jackdaww wrote:=================================

Why wouldn't they? Explain your comment jackdaw please. Am I missing something?

Ian.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » December 27th, 2020, 12:30 pm

idpickering wrote:
jackdaww wrote:=================================

Why wouldn't they? Explain your comment jackdaw please. Am I missing something?

Ian.

========================================

belief just isnt good enough at the best of times - let alone from a ftse100 CEO.

best wishes

david.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » December 27th, 2020, 12:51 pm

This from the Sunday Times:

Astra Zeneca’s chief executive, Pascal Soriot, today reveals that new data will show the vaccine is as effective as the Pfizer and Moderna jabs that have already been approved, protecting 95% of patients, and is “100% effective” in preventing severe illness requiring hospital treatment.

Best wishes,

Steve

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » December 27th, 2020, 1:09 pm

Belief is fine, if it is based on evidence, which I believe (!) it is in this case. :D

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » December 27th, 2020, 3:26 pm

Soriot is in Australia with his family a.t.m. My Sun. Times, in an article headed "Our vaccine has a winning formula to beat Covid-19", says "From here, he hopes to celebrate approval of Astra's Covid-19 vaccine." "As one new variant of the virus rips across Europe, with cases in the UK rising to 40,000 a day last week, and another emerges in South Africa, the world is holding its breath that further help is on its way in the form of Soriot's scientists. Astra's vaccine, which is cheaper and easier to transport than that of rivals, could be the key to unlocking a return to normality early in 2021. The UK has 100 million jabs on order and is awaiting the OK from medicines regulator the MHRA." Soriot refers to the announcement of their trial results some months ago (the l.5 dose achieving 90% efficacy and the double dose achieving 62% efficacy) and the wave of criticism after their release. He says that the vaccine provides 100% protection against severe disease needing hospitalisation (that's quite a statement!) and that he is convinced now that subsequent data from the trial will show Astra has achieved an eficacy equal to Pizer/BionN-Tech at 95% and Moderna at 94.5%. "We think we have figured out the winning formula and how to get efficacy that, after two doses, is up there with everybody else. I can't tell you more because we will publish at some point."

That rather sounds as though it is going to be 2 full doses now, but the approval is not yet 100% certain though it could be that he knows but isn't yet allowed to say. I shall be interested to see whether their revised regime has been tested on those with existing lung disease.

Incidentally, Pascal Soriot is the Sunday Times Business Person of the Year "for putting global health above profit". It also mentions that his pay is £14.3 m. a year and I presume that is without bonuses or 'LTIPs. I reckon that makes me a shareholder of the year. How about you, Ian P?

He seems to be pretty confident about the bid for Alexion and blames the significant drop in s.p. on shorting by hedge funds. I'm banking on his being right.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pasc ... -httk3wzkm

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » December 27th, 2020, 4:36 pm

re Soriot's pay, Wikipedia says

"In September 2018 he made headlines commenting on his pay of £9.4m in salary and bonuses,"The truth is I’m the lowest-paid CEO in the whole industry", he said. "It is annoying to some extent. But at the end of the day it is what it is""

The industry is one where successful executives easily move from one giant company to another. I don't begrudge him his pay as he has turned round AZN and done well for shareholders.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 28th, 2020, 7:04 am

Bouleversee wrote:Soriot is in Australia with his family a.t.m. My Sun. Times, in an article headed "Our vaccine has a winning formula to beat Covid-19", says "From here, he hopes to celebrate approval of Astra's Covid-19 vaccine." "As one new variant of the virus rips across Europe, with cases in the UK rising to 40,000 a day last week, and another emerges in South Africa, the world is holding its breath that further help is on its way in the form of Soriot's scientists. Astra's vaccine, which is cheaper and easier to transport than that of rivals, could be the key to unlocking a return to normality early in 2021. The UK has 100 million jabs on order and is awaiting the OK from medicines regulator the MHRA." Soriot refers to the announcement of their trial results some months ago (the l.5 dose achieving 90% efficacy and the double dose achieving 62% efficacy) and the wave of criticism after their release. He says that the vaccine provides 100% protection against severe disease needing hospitalisation (that's quite a statement!) and that he is convinced now that subsequent data from the trial will show Astra has achieved an eficacy equal to Pizer/BionN-Tech at 95% and Moderna at 94.5%. "We think we have figured out the winning formula and how to get efficacy that, after two doses, is up there with everybody else. I can't tell you more because we will publish at some point."

That rather sounds as though it is going to be 2 full doses now, but the approval is not yet 100% certain though it could be that he knows but isn't yet allowed to say. I shall be interested to see whether their revised regime has been tested on those with existing lung disease.

Incidentally, Pascal Soriot is the Sunday Times Business Person of the Year "for putting global health above profit". It also mentions that his pay is £14.3 m. a year and I presume that is without bonuses or 'LTIPs. I reckon that makes me a shareholder of the year. How about you, Ian P?

He seems to be pretty confident about the bid for Alexion and blames the significant drop in s.p. on shorting by hedge funds. I'm banking on his being right.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pasc ... -httk3wzkm

A great post Lorna, with which I agree. I think Pascal is doing a great job, although his pay seems overly excessive IMHO. AZN are a great company, doing vital work, and in my HYP they'll stay, for the long term. AZN sit alongside GSK in my HYP, and between them they account for 9%, in capital value terms, of my 25 share HYP. I intend buying more GSK in this coming January. That'll be it for pharmas for me now for a while, as I don't like going over 10% in any given sector.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 29th, 2020, 7:17 am

Lynparza approved in Japan for three cancers

AstraZeneca and MSD's Lynparza (olaparib) has been approved in Japan for the treatment of advanced ovarian, prostate and pancreatic cancers.

The three approvals authorise Lynparza for: maintenance treatment after 1st-line chemotherapy containing bevacizumab (genetical recombination) for patients with homologous recombination repair deficient (HRD) ovarian cancer; the treatment of patients with BRCA gene-mutated (BRCAm) castrate-resistant prostate cancer with distant metastasis (mCRPC); and as maintenance treatment after platinum-based chemotherapy for patients with BRCAm curatively unresectable pancreas cancer.

The concurrent approvals by the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare are based on positive results from the PAOLA-1, PROfound and POLO Phase III trials, which each were published in The New England Journal of Medicine.

Dave Fredrickson, Executive Vice President, Oncology Business Unit, said: "These three approvals allow patients in Japan to be treated with Lynparza, a targeted treatment personalised to their specific biomarkers. They further underline the critical importance of biomarker testing at diagnosis, which helps physicians determine a course of treatment tailored to individual patients to substantially delay disease progression."

https://www.investegate.co.uk/astrazene ... 00129049J/

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » December 29th, 2020, 4:53 pm

Another long article ("Leader put Astra's star in the ascendant") about Soriot in today's Times; they have chosen him as The Times business newsmaker of the year, with a hint at a knighthood. I had expected that, plus the announcement posted by Ian today, to send the Astra star shooting upwards dramatically today but it soon fizzled out. Everything on hold till formal approval of the vaccine is announced "imminently", I guess. There is just a scintilla of doubt about it all, however. Fingers crossed from all points of view!

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”