Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

AstraZeneca PLC (AZN)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: AstraZeneca PLC (AZN)

Postby idpickering » December 30th, 2020, 7:09 am

AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine authorised for emergency supply in the UK

AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine has been approved for emergency supply in the UK, with the first doses being released today so that vaccinations may begin early in the New Year.

The UK Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has provided authorisation for emergency supply of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca, formerly AZD1222, for the active immunisation of individuals 18 years or older. The authorisation recommends two doses administered with an interval of between four and 12 weeks. This regimen was shown in clinical trials to be safe and effective at preventing symptomatic COVID-19, with no severe cases and no hospitalisations more than 14 days after the second dose.

AstraZeneca is working with Public Health England and National Health Service England to support the deployment and roll out of the vaccine in the UK, in line with the MHRA and the UK’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation dosing recommendation. The Company aims to supply millions of doses in the first quarter as part of an agreement with the government to supply up to 100 million doses in total.

Pascal Soriot, Chief Executive Officer, said: “Today is an important day for millions of people in the UK who will get access to this new vaccine. It has been shown to be effective, well-tolerated, simple to administer and is supplied by AstraZeneca at no profit. We would like to thank our many colleagues at AstraZeneca, Oxford University, the UK government and the tens of thousands of clinical trial participants.”

Matt Hancock, UK Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, said: “This is a moment to celebrate British innovation - not only are we responsible for discovering the first treatment to reduce mortality for Covid-19, this vaccine will be made available to some of the poorest regions of the world at a low cost, helping protect countless people from this awful disease. It is a tribute to the incredible UK scientists at Oxford University and AstraZeneca whose breakthrough will help to save lives around the world. I want to thank every single person who has been part of this British success story. While it is a time to be hopeful, it is so vital everyone continues to play their part to drive down infections.”

Professor Andrew Pollard, Director of the Oxford Vaccine Group and Chief Investigator of the Oxford Vaccine Trial, said: “The regulator’s assessment that this is a safe and effective vaccine is a landmark moment, and an endorsement of the huge effort from a devoted international team of researchers and our dedicated trial participants. Though this is just the beginning, we will start to get ahead of the pandemic, protect health and economies when the vulnerable are vaccinated everywhere, as many as possible as soon possible.”

The decision to approve the vaccine was taken under Regulation 174 of the Human Medicine Regulations 2012, which enables rapid emergency regulatory approvals to address significant public health issues such as a pandemic. This is the first authorisation for this vaccine.

The MHRA’s decision was based on independent advice from its Commission on Human Medicines following a rolling review of trial data that included an interim analysis of the Phase III programme led by the University of Oxford. The data were also published in The Lancet on 8 December 2020.

Additional safety and efficacy data for the vaccine will continue to accumulate from ongoing clinical trials. AstraZeneca continues to work with regulatory authorities around the world to support their ongoing rolling reviews for emergency supply or conditional marketing authorisation during the health crisis. AstraZeneca is also seeking Emergency Use Listing from the World Health Organization for an accelerated pathway to vaccine availability in low- and middle-income countries.

AstraZeneca is working with its global partners to continue building manufacturing capacity of up to three billion doses of the vaccine globally in 2021 on a rolling basis, pending regulatory approvals. The vaccine can be stored, transported and handled at normal refrigerated conditions (two-eight degrees Celsius/ 36-46 degrees Fahrenheit) for at least six months and administered within existing healthcare settings.

AstraZeneca continues to engage with governments, multilateral organisations and collaborators around the world to ensure broad and equitable access to the vaccine at no profit for the duration of the pandemic.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centr ... in-uk.html

Also RNS on this here; https://www.investegate.co.uk/astrazene ... 00051114K/

Great news for AZN and humanity imho, and I'm sure other AZN holders hereabouts will agree.

Ian.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 30th, 2020, 9:01 am

idpickering wrote:AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine authorised for emergency supply in the UK

AstraZeneca continues to engage with governments, multilateral organisations and collaborators around the world to ensure broad and equitable access to the vaccine at no profit for the duration of the pandemic.

Great news for AZN and humanity imho, and I'm sure other AZN holders hereabouts will agree.

Do we have a definition of "duration of the pandemic"?

Not obvious to me this is "great news for AZN", at least from a shareholder's perspective. No doubt this has been great science, and arguably PR too, but without monetisation of that it adds little to the investor. A look at the share price over the last year might confirm also.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 30th, 2020, 9:38 am

dealtn wrote:
idpickering wrote:AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine authorised for emergency supply in the UK

Not obvious to me this is "great news for AZN", at least from a shareholder's perspective. No doubt this has been great science, and arguably PR too, but without monetisation of that it adds little to the investor. A look at the share price over the last year might confirm also.

You are of course correct. I would like my jab soonest and this news may help that but as for investors? The market seems unimpressed, with the share price up by about 0.8%.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 30th, 2020, 9:59 am

Dod101 wrote:
dealtn wrote:

You are of course correct. I would like my jab soonest and this news may help that but as for investors? The market seems unimpressed, with the share price up by about 0.8%.

Dod

Each to their own, but I don’t get the negativity in the above posts. Not sure why I waste my time coming to this site nowadays.

Any way we can fight this virus has got to be good news.

Ian.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 30th, 2020, 10:20 am

idpickering wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
dealtn wrote:

Dod

Each to their own, but I don’t get the negativity in the above posts. Not sure why I waste my time coming to this site nowadays.

Ian.

No-one is forcing you to come to the site, which after all is "Shares, Investment and Personal Finance Discussion Forums". It was clear I was making a comment from a shareholder's perspective.

I am not sure "negativity" is aligned with comments such as "great science" which is what I called it.

Of course, in the context of the pandemic this is great news, and no doubt spoken about as such on the number of Coronavirus threads, where I doubt there will be found much negativity. If you think negativity, as you put it, with respect to the finances of this company, or shareholders of it, are out of place here perhaps you can explain why. Or perhaps you can provide some positive financial commentary on the back of this news piece, and why it will be rewarding to investors here.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 30th, 2020, 10:33 am

dealtn wrote:
idpickering wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Ian.

No-one is forcing you to come to the site, which after all is "Shares, Investment and Personal Finance Discussion Forums". It was clear I was making a comment from a shareholder's perspective.

I am not sure "negativity" is aligned with comments such as "great science" which is what I called it.

Of course, in the context of the pandemic this is great news, and no doubt spoken about as such on the number of Coronavirus threads, where I doubt there will be found much negativity. If you think negativity, as you put it, with respect to the finances of this company, or shareholders of it, are out of place here perhaps you can explain why. Or perhaps you can provide some positive financial commentary on the back of this news piece, and why it will be rewarding to investors here.

Like I said, each to their own. You disagree with my remark, as is your right. I for one shall not be continuing this conversation. As an AZN shareholder, I’m pleased with this news, that’s it.

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 30th, 2020, 10:50 am

idpickering wrote:Each to their own, but I don’t get the negativity in the above posts. Not sure why I waste my time coming to this site nowadays.

Ian.

There is absolutely no need to get on your high horse, Ian. The news is very welcome but as Company News on an investment site it does not get us very far at least in the foreseeable future. That is the point. If they are manufacturing and supplying the vaccine at cost for the duration of the pandemic that is not going to increase their profits one iota. it is in fact a generous act of charity which in the long run may benefit AstraZeneca but will do nothing for its profits short term anyway.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 30th, 2020, 11:22 am

Dod101 wrote:
idpickering wrote:Each to their own, but I don’t get the negativity in the above posts. Not sure why I waste my time coming to this site nowadays.

Ian.

There is absolutely no need to get on your high horse, Ian. The news is very welcome but as Company News on an investment site it does not get us very far at least in the foreseeable future. That is the point. If they are manufacturing and supplying the vaccine at cost for the duration of the pandemic that is not going to increase their profits one iota. it is in fact a generous act of charity which in the long run may benefit AstraZeneca but will do nothing for its profits short term anyway.

Dod

Telling off accepted. I get where you’re coming from Dod, and agree with your later comments.

Ian.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 30th, 2020, 11:23 am

Do we know who owns this even?

The vaccine is a joint venture between AZN and Oxford University. My presumption is AZN are bringing manufacturing capacity to the table, it is highly unlikely that Oxford University can do this. But on the proprietary science side as an investor I would hope that at least a portion of this belongs to AZN, but if it was all being delivered on the Oxford University side I would be concerned.

I doubt that level of granularity around the commercial relationship exists but it would be interesting to discover a bit more on this.

In theory there should be an increase in the intangible value of the brand AZN even if profits, and cash flow, aren't positive, but to date we have seen little evidence this breakthrough is a positive commercial prospect for the company which is disappointing. I'm not sure why it would be deemed acceptable for companies that devise, manufacture and sell Covid tests to operate with a profit motive (and have rewarded shareholders greatly over the last few months), but deemed unacceptable for Vaccine developers and manufacturers.

Have AZN caused a problem for themselves with this stance? My understanding is their vaccine and technology has several cost advantages over others, such as the ability to store in normal fridges not -70C as with others. Not only does this mean lower costs but presumably larger volumes can be delivered and rolled out too. Demand for this product in theory should be much greater than the Pfizer one for instance, and globally too.

From a business perspective if Pfizer costs £100 (I don't know the figure) and can be sold for £120, why is it deemed wrong of AZN to make theirs at a cost of say £10 and sold at £20. The margin might be higher, but the cost saving to the benefit of society is huge.

Now those numbers may be well off, but in principle I don't understand how some companies are allowed to make a profit from "covid" but others aren't, so I can only assume this is a choice of the AZN Board. It would worry me as an investor that their interests might not be aligned with mine. The Directors are no doubt well paid, will attract much praise and recognition, but their personal goals and achievements might not reflect those of the shareholders, and the job they are there to do.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » December 30th, 2020, 11:31 am

Dod101 wrote:

Ian.

Dod

Which is why I suggested yesterday that we shareholders can bask in the reflected glory of making a financial contribution to what will be a major practical contribution to getting rid of the demon which could ruin all our lives and to some extent is already doing so. It won't make money for us in the short run but money is not much good to you if you are dead and making more of it is not a prime objective so far as I am concerned. I get a better glow from thinking that this vaccine will be one which helps those countries for which the Pfizer vaccine is impractical and too expensive and until the whole world is vaccinated the problem will continue so in the long run we will all benefit, so not wholly altruistic and if it becomes necessary to have an annual jab against this virus and the Astra vaccine can be adapted to cater for new variants, it will bring money into the AZN coffers in the long run.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 30th, 2020, 12:12 pm

dealtn

I do not know that AstraZeneca is in any sense banned from making a profit. The only comment I have seen has come from Astra itself which has said that it will not be profiting for the duration of the pandemic. That sounds like a company choice to me and is surely to be commended. Whether there is any 'ownership' split between Oxford Uni and AstraZeneca does not seem to have been made clear. In the long run, it will surely be good for AstraZeneca and I do not think we should get too one eyed about a profit motive or not. This is for the benefit of humanity. If in the long run, Oxford University benefits as well, that is surely a good thing.

Dod

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 30th, 2020, 12:20 pm

Dod101 wrote:dealtn

I do not know that AstraZeneca is in any sense banned from making a profit. The only comment I have seen has come from Astra itself which has said that it will not be profiting for the duration of the pandemic. That sounds like a company choice to me and is surely to be commended. Whether there is any 'ownership' split between Oxford Uni and AstraZeneca does not seem to have been made clear. In the long run, it will surely be good for AstraZeneca and I do not think we should get too one eyed about a profit motive or not. This is for the benefit of humanity. If in the long run, Oxford University benefits as well, that is surely a good thing.

Dod

Well I am afraid I disagree.

I certainly agree the outcome is the best for society, but as an investor in a capitalist regime, I don't think non-profit stances are to be commended. In fact I would go as far to say they could even be a bad thing as Capital and resource that might be available to pursue these "good" projects may go elsewhere.

I don't see how anyone can make the claim "surely it will be good for AstraZeneca" with this opaqueness around the strategy. If they were making a profit much of that could be reinvested into other profitable workstreams with a positive NAV, and that would be good for AstraZeneca, and its shareholders. Devoting resource into a non-profitable workstream, altruistic and beneficial to society though that is, wouldn't be obviously for the benefit of the company or its shareholders either in the short, or long, term.

As such I can't find anything sufficiently attractive to tempt me to invest here. That might change should the price fall further, and present a value opportunity, but for financial return and growth I would want to see management more aligned with my motives.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » December 30th, 2020, 12:26 pm

I quite agree Dod. For AZN, apart from the reputational benefits longer term, they will have built up a very large vaccine manufacturing business that they did not have before and I suspect will get a lot of financial benefit in spite of the 'not for profit claim. Any accountant will know that any business has lots of different types of costs (direct costs, indirect costs, overheads of various sorts) and some of those will be fairly allocated to the Vaccine cost centre, which will financially benefit AZN.

Incidentally the 'cost' of this AZN vaccine is £3 I understand, not £10, and it looks like they will sell billions of doses.
No doubt some of Mr Soriot's £14m salary can be fairly allocated to the 'cost' of the vaccine?

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » December 30th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Somewhere I recall reading a statement about "not for profit basis in developed countries up until mid 2021". Sorry, can't remember the source.
I interpreted it as a massive forward pricing exercise to capture significant share worldwide on a new growth market - no idea on the longevity of the market or the ability to get learning curve improvement in cost with scale.
I suspect there has been a lot of thought gone into how this pays off in the long term

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 30th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Just suppose for a minute that the vaccine becomes an annual event like the flu vaccine. That for a start is going to be good for AstraZeneca and as scrumpyjack has said, some existing overheads in the business will no doubt be allocated to the costs for the new vaccine and then there is the positive reputation factor. Soriot does not strike me as being other than a fairly astute businessman. (And hopefully Government will see AstraZeneca as one of the 'good guys')

Let us all try to see this as a good move by Astra and for once, cast aside the cynicism which so often seems to get in the way of all round judgement.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 30th, 2020, 1:31 pm

Dod101 wrote:Just suppose for a minute that the vaccine becomes an annual event like the flu vaccine. That for a start is going to be good for AstraZeneca and as scrumpyjack has said, some existing overheads in the business will no doubt be allocated to the costs for the new vaccine and then there is the positive reputation factor. Soriot does not strike me as being other than a fairly astute businessman. (And hopefully Government will see AstraZeneca as one of the 'good guys')

Let us all try to see this as a good move by Astra and for once, cast aside the cynicism which so often seems to get in the way of all round judgement.

Dod

Well said Dod. Have a rec sir! It’s that cynicism and snide comments that I despise on these boards. That’s it from me in this thread. As to whether or not I start another one remains to be seen?

Happy new year all.

Ian.
Last edited by idpickering on December 30th, 2020, 1:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 30th, 2020, 1:32 pm

Dod101 wrote:Just suppose for a minute that the vaccine becomes an annual event like the flu vaccine. That for a start is going to be good for AstraZeneca and as scrumpyjack has said, some existing overheads in the business will no doubt be allocated to the costs for the new vaccine and then there is the positive reputation factor. Soriot does not strike me as being other than a fairly astute businessman. (And hopefully Government will see AstraZeneca as one of the 'good guys')

Dod

I agree, and I am not trying to be cynical. If the future looks like it is one with a relatively cheap annual jab, like the flu one, then that could indeed be a new additional accretive global revenue stream.

All I am suggesting is they tell us that is the likely case, and business rationale. After all that's the kind of thing RNSs are for!

Instead we get silence, other than a vague, opaque "not for profit" in the life of the pandemic.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 30th, 2020, 3:10 pm

dealtn wrote:

Dod

I agree, and I am not trying to be cynical. If the future looks like it is one with a relatively cheap annual jab, like the flu one, then that could indeed be a new additional accretive global revenue stream.

All I am suggesting is they tell us that is the likely case, and business rationale. After all that's the kind of thing RNSs are for!

Instead we get silence, other than a vague, opaque "not for profit" in the life of the pandemic.

OK but the vaccine has just been accepted by the regulators, it is 1 1/2 business days before the new year break and after all Soriot apparently lives in Australia whish is around 10 hours ahead of us. No doubt we will hear in due course.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 4th, 2021, 7:11 am

Atacand divestment in over 70 countries completed

AstraZeneca has completed the divestment of commercial rights to Atacand ( candesartan cilexetil) and Atacand Plus (a fixed-dose combination of candesartan cilexetil and hydrochlorothiazide ) in over 70 countries to Cheplapharm Arzneimittel GmbH (Cheplapharm).

Financial considerations

Under the terms of the agreement AstraZeneca received a payment of $250m from Cheplapharm. AstraZeneca will receive further non-contingent payments equal to $150m during the first half of 2021. The present value of all payments, totalling $400m, will be reported in AstraZeneca's financial statements within Other Operating Income in the fourth quarter of 2020.

Pursuant to London Stock Exchange listing rule 10.4.1R (notification of class 2 transactions), in 2019 Atacand and AtacandPlus generated product sales of $148m and profit before tax of $89m in the countries covered by the agreement. The gross book value of assets subject to the divestment at 31 December 2019 was $nil. The consideration was and will be paid in cash, and the proceeds used for general corporate purposes.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/astrazene ... 00103967K/

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 6th, 2021, 7:12 am

Farxiga granted US Priority Review for CKD

AstraZeneca's Farxiga (dapagliflozin) has been granted Priority Review in the US for the treatment of new or worsening chronic kidney disease (CKD) in adults with and without type-2 diabetes (T2D).

https://www.investegate.co.uk/astrazene ... 00057318K/

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”