Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

ITV (ITV)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
idpickering
The full Lemon

ITV (ITV)

Postby idpickering » February 27th, 2019, 7:37 am

Results highlights here; viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16475

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: ITV (ITV)

Postby Gengulphus » February 27th, 2019, 10:14 am

The following quotes are from the results RNS, but (by way of explanation about why I'm posting here rather than on HYP Practical) more news about the company's future plans than actual results from its business, and while those plans may well affect its future dividends, it seems to me to be highly uncertain which way it will affect them! Also, it seems likely to be of interest to a much wider audience than just HYPers...

Carolyn McCall, ITV Chief Executive wrote:We are in the concluding phase of talks with the BBC to establish a strategic partnership to bring BritBox, an exciting new SVOD service, to UK audiences. This will provide an unrivalled collection of British boxsets and original series in one place. We have agreed a joint vision for the service and are now working on a formal agreement. We anticipate that other partners will be added to BritBox and we will both speak to regulators and the wider industry about our proposals.

ITV wrote:We are in the concluding phase of talks with the BBC to establish a strategic partnership to bring BritBox, an exciting new SVOD service, to UK audiences. This will provide an unrivalled collection of British boxsets and original series. Research has demonstrated there is high demand for British content and ITV is well positioned to deliver this. Research has also shown the willingness to pay for an additional service by those who already subscribe to an SVOD platform. We have agreed a joint vision for the service and are now working on a formal agreement. We anticipate that other partners will be added to BritBox and we will both speak to regulators and the wider industry about our proposals.

Our existing SVOD propositions including ITV Hub+ in the UK, BritBox US in the US and Canada, and Cirkus in the Nordics, Germany, Austria and Switzerland, demonstrate our ability and ambition to compete in this market internationally.

ITV Hub+ offers an ad-free subscription version of the ITV Hub with content download capability and EU portability. While it remains relatively small, the number of subscribers has more than tripled in 2018 to 265,000. Our joint venture with the BBC, BritBox US, provides an ad-free SVOD service offering the most comprehensive collection of British content available in the US and Canada. Subscribers have continued to grow steadily, exceeding 500,000 in 2018.

(I presume that SVOD is meant to stand for Subscription Video On Demand - Streaming Video On Demand is also a possibility, but the announcement also talks about AVOD and explains it means Advertising Video On Demand, so it looks as though they're contrasting how they generate revenues rather than how they operate technically.)

And a BBC story about it (which is what alerted me to the story's existence - I probably wouldn't have noticed it in the middle of the ITV results without something alerting me to it specifically):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47383559

An interesting development, I think, and it's clearly got the potential to be very good for the company. But whether it will be is a good question - Netflix (which the BBC report describes as a rival) does have a significant first-mover advantage, which tends to be quite significant for new technology products and services.

Gengulphus

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 27th, 2019, 11:12 am

I think it's way way too late to launch a rival to Netflix (which I subscribe to) but time will tell.

"Project Kangaroo #2" ?

The UK stations could have been ahead of the game but it seems that the original "Kangaroo Project" deal was blocked by the UK Competition Commission... ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_(video_on_demand)

If it DOES proceed, we will be able to watch Dad's Army every week.... (so, no change there, then ;) ).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 15th, 2019, 12:28 pm

This from TMF;

BT shares? Don’t waste your money. I think this FTSE 100 dividend stock is a better buy

A better dividend stock?

One FTSE 100 stock I’m more bullish on is ITV (LSE: ITV). Like BT, it also trades at a rock-bottom valuation (forward P/E of 10) and sports a big dividend yield (6%).

ITV isn’t without its own issues of course. Just recently, CEO Carolyn McCall stated that the economic and political headwinds for the UK will have an effect on the advertising market and that the group remains sensitive to this.

https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2019/0 ... etter-buy/

My account is set to buy more ITV later this month funnily enough.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 30th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Another from TMF, written by Alan Oscroft;

Why I believe the ITV share price could soon return to 170p

There’s no doubt that ITV (LSE: ITV) shares have been firmly out of favour for some time, losing 30% of their value between 2015’s high point and the end of 2018. And looking back further, the price crashed by more than 50% in the three years from the end of 2015.

But since the start of 2019, ITV shares have pulled back a little with a gain of 14%. Admittedly that’s only a single percentage point above the FTSE 100‘s 13%, but the rot appears to have stopped, at least for now.

https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2019/0 ... n-to-170p/

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 8th, 2019, 7:31 am

ITV plc Q1 Trading Statement

· Q1 performance as expected

· Making good progress in delivering the strategy

o On track to launch BritBox in H2 2019

o Agreed an exclusive license in the UK and Ireland with Amobee which will enable ITV to deliver programmatic addressable advertising on the ITV Hub

· Continued good viewing performance onscreen and online, with ITV Family Share of viewing up 4% and online viewing up 16%

· Total external revenue was down 4% at £743m (2018: £772m), with growth in ITV Studios revenue and 22% growth in VOD revenues offset by the decline in spot advertising impacted by the timing of Easter and economic and political uncertainty

· Total ITV Studios revenue was up 1% at £385m as planned (2018: £382m), with organic revenues at constant currency up 1%

· ITV Broadcast & Online revenue was down 7% at £489m (2018: £526m) with ITV total advertising down 7% as previously guided

· As we guided, the first half of the year will be impacted by the continuing economic and political uncertainty and its effect on the demand for advertising; the absence of the Football World Cup; the planned essential investments; the pre-launch costs of BritBox; and the timing of ITV Studios deliveries. ITV total advertising is expected to be down 6% over the first half

· Over the full year we continue to expect to deliver double digit growth in online revenue and good organic revenue growth in ITV Studios

https://www.investegate.co.uk/itv-plc-- ... 00032890Y/

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 8th, 2019, 1:12 pm

Harvey Jones from TMF has this to offer;

I reckon the low ITV share price and 6%+ yield are too tempting to ignore

Broadcaster ITV (LSE: ITV) looks like one of the most tempting turnaround stocks on the FTSE 100 after recent sharp declines. It’s having a tough time but right now, the price certainly looks right.

ITV Q1

The stock is down 4.5% after ITV posted a 4% drop in total external revenues to £743m for the first quarter, mostly due to a worse than expected 7% drop in advertising. It pinned the decline on our old friends “continuing economic and political uncertainty”, as well as the timing of Easter. Unfavourable currency movements haven’t helped either.

The £5bn group previously warned the first half of this year will be “impacted” by planned essential investments, the timing of ITV Studios deliveries and pre-launch costs on its BritBox joint venture with BBC Studios. The subscription video on-demand service is expected to launch in the second half of this year and a lot now rests on how well it fares.

https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2019/0 ... to-ignore/

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 8th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Bets on BritBox?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2008/dec/03/bbc-itv

They boat departed with Netflix, Amazon at the helm with Disney and Apple now deciding they too want to get aboard ....the problem is, the US will do it bigger and better and it's a very small boat. Then we've got YouTube, iPlayer, and many other on demand (free) services.

Seems a poorly thought out idea to me...who wants to pay to watch the BBC back catalogue when they've already paid for it?

Is anyone convinced it's a good idea (other than Dame McCall)?

BobGe
Lemon Slice

Postby BobGe » May 9th, 2019, 4:15 am

Britbox: A bit like public libraries, it's a good idea it (i.e. the content) should be available. But unless it's for peanuts (or funded by the licence fee) I'm not sure I can see why many would want to subscribe long term.

Investment wise (ITV) I can see it could end up as more of a burden than a likely source of profit.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 19th, 2019, 8:21 am

"ITV and the BBC have now signed an agreement to launch BritBox in the UK in the fourth quarter of this year"

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exc ... 55960.html

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 24th, 2019, 7:11 am

gbjbaanb
Lemon Slice

Postby gbjbaanb » July 26th, 2019, 11:50 am

BobGe wrote:Britbox: A bit like public libraries, it's a good idea it (i.e. the content) should be available. But unless it's for peanuts (or funded by the licence fee) I'm not sure I can see why many would want to subscribe long term.

Investment wise (ITV) I can see it could end up as more of a burden than a likely source of profit.

I can see why - looking at the number of people who are dropping the licence fee, the BBC can see the writing on the wall for it and are making their first steps into becoming a subscription service (or at least getting their revenue from such).

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 26th, 2019, 12:09 pm

gbjbaanb wrote:I can see why - looking at the number of people who are dropping the licence fee, ...

Do you have a source?

I've looked at the Television Licence Fee Trust Statement for the Year Ending 31 March 2019 [ link may not function https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/ss/Satell ... inary=true ] and this suggests the numbers are fairly static over the past 3 years, at about 25.9 million.

gbjbaanb
Lemon Slice

Postby gbjbaanb » July 26th, 2019, 12:19 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
gbjbaanb wrote:I can see why - looking at the number of people who are dropping the licence fee, ...

Do you have a source?

I've looked at the Television Licence Fee Trust Statement for the Year Ending 31 March 2019 [ link may not function https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/ss/Satell ... inary=true ] and this suggests the numbers are fairly static over the past 3 years, at about 25.9 million.

I recall 800k stopped paying last year, only quick source I can find is the Sun from 2 years ago, but they got their numbers from a FoI request. It doesn't sound wrong to me - not necessarily because of "BBC bias" but partly because its a fee that's easy to justify not paying for, and because everyone seems to watch streaming services instead. I have a Roku box now, and frankly, have stopped watching broadcast TV.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 26th, 2019, 12:32 pm

gbjbaanb wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:

Do you have a source?

I recall 800k stopped paying last year, only quick source I can find is the Sun from 2 years ago, but they got their numbers from a FoI request. ...

Thanks but those figures include Those who have failed to pay and those who no longer need to .... There's some interesting stuff in the link I provided above re Evasion Rates etc.

I'll think I'll leave it there as, otherwise, this could turn into one of those interminable Licence Fee topics (which isn't Share News).

gbjbaanb
Lemon Slice

Postby gbjbaanb » July 26th, 2019, 12:57 pm

PinkDalek wrote:I'll think I'll leave it there as, otherwise, this could turn into one of those interminable Licence Fee topics (which isn't Share News).

I think it might also be dodgy figures as the number is for those who cancelled, and doesn't count any who later resubscribed.

But - share news wise, I was surprised how easy it was to not need broadcast TV. I note Netflix has created an (Indian only) sub for $2 a month for mobile use only (ie no casting to a TV), so streaming is only going to get more popular. Disney is getting in on the action too, and i think the biggest problem to all this will be accessing all the different subscriptions - so some consolidation will occur, or some service will eventually ecome an aggregator, showing content from other services in 1 place. ITV perhaps, if it has BBC content today and already shows US content, could plan to add others in the future.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 8th, 2019, 4:06 pm

ITV sells London Television Centre

ITV has today exchanged contracts for the sale of the London Television Centre on the South Bank to Mitsubishi Estate London Limited in an all-cash transaction for £145.6m. Completion is expected to occur by the end of November

https://www.investegate.co.uk/itv-plc-- ... 28538583S/

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » November 9th, 2019, 12:05 am

idpickering wrote:ITV sells London Television Centre

ITV has today exchanged contracts for the sale of the London Television Centre on the South Bank to Mitsubishi Estate London Limited in an all-cash transaction for £145.6m. Completion is expected to occur by the end of November

https://www.investegate.co.uk/itv-plc-- ... 28538583S/

Out of curiosity, I assume this is a sale and leaseback?

torata

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 9th, 2019, 12:19 am

This, from last year, would suggest not:

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/itv-london-hq-redevelopment/

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 12th, 2019, 7:28 am

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”