Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

HSBC (HSBA)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
idpickering
The full Lemon

HSBC (HSBA)

Postby idpickering » February 19th, 2019, 5:57 am

HSBC Results.

Highlights can be found here; viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16327

(edited) 19/02. Added HSBC Results as title changed to meet forum guidelines. Raptor.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

HSBC - The Value Investor analysis

Postby TUK020 » February 22nd, 2019, 6:33 pm

The Value Investor occasionally does an interesting analysis on a company, usually to explain why they are bailing out, or wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

A new report puts HSBC under the microscope:
https://www.ukvalueinvestor.com/2019/02 ... isis.html/

He is not impressed.

I hold. After reading this I think it may get vetoed off the Top Up list.
Views & opinions welcome

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Re: HSBC - The Value Investor analysis

Postby moorfield » February 22nd, 2019, 7:01 pm

TUK020 wrote:The Value Investor occasionally does an interesting analysis on a company, usually to explain why they are bailing out, or wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

He is not impressed.

Views & opinions welcome

I must admit I'm not familiar at all with John Kingham's articles. Does he have form on getting companies vetoed off your Top Up list?

Personally I would be quite comfortable buying more HSBC at current yield for the long term - were Banks not already overweight in my portfolio.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 23rd, 2019, 6:47 am

moorfield wrote:

Personally I would be quite comfortable buying more HSBC at current yield for the long term - were Banks not already overweight in my portfolio.

Me too. In fact I did mention elsewhere that I intended to top up my HSBC holdings soon.

Ian.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » February 23rd, 2019, 9:50 am

moorfield wrote:I must admit I'm not familiar at all with John Kingham's articles. Does he have form on getting companies vetoed off your Top Up list?

After reading an article covering in passing BA. (I think it was him, but I couldn't find it in a brief rummage), I top sliced last summer/autumn at 630p which worked out well (in a short term horizon). I also top sliced AZN at 5800 which didn't work quite so positively. I did ignore his advice to top up BT at 200p.
So worth taking as a data point to influence, but not sufficient to drive the decision alone.

The above moves were as part of the first major re-balancing housekeeping that I undertook. All of this was as much driven by getting my portfolio loaded into HYPTUSS, so that I could look at my ISA, SIPP, SIPP Drawdown accounts as a consolidated portfolio for the first time.

I think that IAAG & Kiloran perform a valuable service to humanity with HYPTUSS!

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 23rd, 2019, 10:44 am

Well, whilst Mr Kingham is umming and ahhing because HSBC doesn't meet HIS investment criteria, we can spend the time collecting a 6%+ yield as part of a diversified portfolio.

Are there any cases when JK's choices overlap with what we would perhaps chose as for an HYP?

(I topped up the day before the last XD with the view that there was a 21cent buffer on top of the 4% fall in share price on the day of purchase. )

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 23rd, 2019, 11:25 am

There is not much in Kingham's article that we did not know already. Obviously the ROCE is too low and they emphasise that in their Annual Reports. The fact is though that the yield is very attractive to an income investor and the dividend is not I think in danger of being cut, unlike some high yielders. I have a largish holding and have had for years.

This Board is not about Value investing anyway; it is about high yielding shares.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 23rd, 2019, 3:10 pm

Dod101 wrote:This Board is not about Value investing anyway; it is about high yielding shares.

Dod

Absolutely! But it's an interesting question about whether Kingham covers other HYP-type shares, because HYP and Value investing do have a few things in common. A Venn diagram would draw circles with quite some degree of overlap.

Arb.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » February 24th, 2019, 2:15 pm

moorfield wrote:
TUK020 wrote:The Value Investor occasionally does an interesting analysis on a company, usually to explain why they are bailing out, or wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

He is not impressed.

Views & opinions welcome

I must admit I'm not familiar at all with John Kingham's articles.

I don't know JK personally, but I subscribe to his feed, and have done so for many years. I have occasionally interacted with him on Twitter.

I find him to be balanced and thoughtful, although his analytical style is more disciplined than my own.

As others have said, his primary focus is value investing, not HYP.

MDW1954

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 26th, 2019, 10:52 am

Current yield is approaching 6.4% if anyone is thinking of a top up. ;)

(based on 611p share price).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 26th, 2019, 11:02 am

monabri wrote:Current yield is approaching 6.4% if anyone is thinking of a top up. ;)

(based on 611p share price).

Although I'd very much like to, I'm not going to sell anything in order to free up the cash, and get hit by the fees in doing so. For me a top up will be part of my monthly drip feeding of monies into my HYP, utilising the Halifax cheapo monthly investment option.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 26th, 2019, 11:23 am

This from TMF;

I’d pick the HSBC share price for this year’s stocks and shares ISA

Time is ticking away to use up your remaining 2018/2019 ISA allowance. There are just a few weeks left before the new tax year ends on 5 April, so now’s the time to start planning your contributions if you don’t want to run out of time.

With this in mind, today I’m looking at HSBC (LSE: HSBA) and examening why I believe this global banking champion could be the perfect buy for your ISA.

Well-positioned

HSBC is one of the world’s largest banks with a global presence. Even though it does have an evident presence here in the UK (its global headquarters is located in London), the group generated 90% of profits in Asia last year. In my opinion, this latter exposure is HSBC’s most attractive quality.

Most economists believe that Asia’s economic growth is only just getting started and the region will continue to grow faster than the rest of the Western world over the next few decades.

Indeed, even though China’s GDP per capita has risen more than 10-fold over the past 19 years, at around $9,000, it’s still just a fraction of the GDP per capita of the United States ($60,000 in 2017). This implies that there’s still plenty of potential for growth. Not just in China, but across Asia as the rising tide lifts all boats. And HSBC is ideally positioned to benefit from this growth.

https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2019/0 ... hares-isa/

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » February 26th, 2019, 1:00 pm

idpickering wrote:I’d pick the HSBC share price for this year’s stocks and shares ISA

But John Kingham at the top of the thread says he wouldn't invest ... Now I'm confused. :? :twisted: ;)

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 26th, 2019, 1:49 pm

moorfield wrote:
idpickering wrote:I’d pick the HSBC share price for this year’s stocks and shares ISA

But John Kingham at the top of the thread says he wouldn't invest ... Now I'm confused. :? :twisted: ;)

I get you; but he does say;

The bottom line

So overall, with its global exposure, growth potential and market-beating dividend yield, I think the HSBC share price deserves a place in your Stocks and Shares ISA.

Although in the disclaimer at the foot of the item he says he doesn't own the share. Each to their own I guess.

Ian.

uspaul666
2 Lemon pips

Postby uspaul666 » February 26th, 2019, 1:56 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Dod101 wrote:This Board is not about Value investing anyway; it is about high yielding shares.

Dod

Absolutely! But it's an interesting question about whether Kingham covers other HYP-type shares, because HYP and Value investing do have a few things in common. A Venn diagram would draw circles with quite some degree of overlap.

Arb.

Two big differences seems to be that JW is very happy to dip into the FTSE250 whereas pyad would rather not all other things being equal plus he looks for a ten year consistent dividend record which a pretty tall order at the best of times...

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » February 26th, 2019, 1:57 pm

Moderator Message:
After various reports on this thread on HYP Practical have decided to move it to Company News. Raptor.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: HSBC (HSBA)

Postby idpickering » April 24th, 2019, 9:36 am

This from TMF, written by Manika Premsingh;

Why I think HSBC is a good FTSE 100 share to buy

The share price of FTSE 100 banking and financial services giant HSBC (LSE: HSBA), has seen an impressive run-up this month, averaging around 5.5% higher than in March. Even with the fairly steep upward climb, however, it is still some distance from the highest value seen in the past year.

This begs the next obvious question: can it continue to pull towards higher levels, and importantly, stay there? The financial services sector can be quite vulnerable to macro-economic fluctuations, and with Brexit in the UK, trade disputes between the US and China, and some softening expected in global growth, there are risks on the horizon. But in analysing the company, I think that it still has a lot going for it and can overcome the impending risks as well. Here’s why.

https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2019/0 ... re-to-buy/

I hold and am topping up today.

Ian.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » May 3rd, 2019, 6:19 am

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 3rd, 2019, 12:57 pm

Harvey Jones from TMF was the author of this;

Here’s why I’d buy the HSBC share price and hold it for life

Finally, some good news from the banking sector. Barclays, Lloyds Banking Group and Royal Bank of Scotland have all published disappointing updates lately but HSBC Holdings (LSE: HSBA) has now given investors something to celebrate by smashing first-quarter expectations.

Profit jump

HSBC is up almost 2.5% at time of writing after reporting a 31% jump in profit after tax to $4.9bn, driven by a combination of rising revenues and falling costs.

Group CEO John Flint hailed “an encouraging set of results, particularly in the context of heightened economic uncertainty globally”, as reported revenue grew 5.2% to $14.2bn year-on-year. Adjusted revenue rose 9%, supported by positive market impacts and disposal gains, while reported operating expenses fell 12% to $8.2bn.

https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2019/0 ... -for-life/

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 4th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Another from TMF, by Royston Wild;

Is HSBC the best growth AND dividend stock on the FTSE 100?

It hasn’t exactly been plain sailing for the HSBC Holdings (LSE: HSBA) over the past year. Its share price has recovered ground in recent weeks but it remains around 5% lower from levels seen at the same point last May.

Concerns over Brexit loom large over the FTSE 100’s banking giants and while HSBC’s exposure to the UK is minimal compared with its large-cap rivals, tension over slowing economic growth in Asia — and the impact that Federal Reserve rate rises could have in exacerbating the problems — has sent investors scurrying for the door. The business sources around four-fifths of profit from these territories.

I’ve long argued, though, that HSBC still has what it takes to create brilliant profits growth in the near term as GDP growth rates still remain strong in these regions; as there’s low market penetration for financial products here; and as population levels across Asia keep on booming.

https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2019/0 ... -ftse-100/

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”