Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

HSBC (HSBA)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: HSBC (HSBA)

Postby idpickering » August 1st, 2022, 5:52 am

2022 INTERIM RESULTS – HIGHLIGHTS

Noel Quinn, Group Chief Executive, said:
“Our first-half performance reflects the continued impact of our strategy, with gathering revenue momentum and tight cost control. The
progress that we’ve made growing and transforming HSBC means we are in a strong position as we enter the current rates cycle. We are
confident of achieving a return on tangible equity of at least 12% from 2023 onwards, which would represent our best returns in a decade.
As a result, we are providing more specific dividend payout ratio guidance of around 50% for 2023 and 2024. We understand and appreciate
the importance of dividends to all of our shareholders. We will aim to restore the dividend to pre-Covid-19 levels as soon as possible. We
also intend to revert to quarterly dividends in 2023.”
Financial performance (1H22 vs 1H21)
• Reported profit after tax increased by $0.8bn to $9.2bn. This included a $1.8bn gain on the recognition of a deferred tax asset
from historical losses, as a result of improved profit forecasts for the UK tax group, which has accelerated the expected utilisation of
these losses. Reported profit before tax decreased by $1.7bn to $9.2bn, reflecting a net charge for expected credit losses and
other credit impairment charges (‘ECL’), compared with a net release in 1H21. Adjusted profit before tax fell by $0.9bn to $10.7bn.
• Reported revenue decreased marginally to $25.2bn, primarily due to foreign currency translation impacts and 1H22 losses on
planned business disposals. Adjusted revenue increased by 4% to $25.7bn, driven by higher net interest income, reflecting interest
rate rises and balance sheet growth, and strong growth in revenue from Global Foreign Exchange in Global Banking and Markets
(‘GBM’). This was partly offset by unfavourable market impacts in insurance manufacturing in Wealth and Personal Banking (‘WPB’).
• Reported ECL were a net charge of $1.1bn, reflecting stage 3 charges of $0.8bn, as well as additional allowances to reflect
heightened economic uncertainty and inflation, in part offset by the release of most of our remaining Covid-19 reserves. This compared
with a $0.7bn net release in 1H21.
• Reported operating expenses decreased by 4%, primarily due to foreign currency translation impacts. The reduction also reflected
the impact of our cost-saving initiatives and a lower performance-related pay accrual, which partly offset increased investment and
inflationary impacts. Adjusted operating expenses decreased by 1%.
• Return on average tangible equity (‘RoTE‘) (annualised) of 9.9% increased by 0.5 percentage points compared with 1H21,
including a 2.3 percentage point annualised impact of the deferred tax asset gain.
• Common equity tier 1 (‘CET1’) ratio of 13.6% decreased by 2.2 percentage points from 31 December 2021. This reflected a
reduction in CET1 capital of $16.8bn, which included a $4.8bn valuation loss in equity from financial instruments as yield curves
steepened, and a $13.4bn increase in risk-weighted assets (‘RWAs’) primarily from 1Q22 regulatory changes. The reduction also included
the share buy-back of up to $1bn announced at our full-year 2021 results.
• The Board has approved an interim dividend for 1H22 of $0.09 per ordinary share, to be paid in cash.
Financial performance (2Q22 vs 2Q21)
• Reported profit after tax of $5.8bn, including a $1.8bn deferred tax gain. Reported profit before tax was stable at $5.0bn. Net
ECL charges compared with 2Q21 net ECL releases, with this impact broadly offset by a reduction in operating expenses and revenue
growth. Adjusted profit before tax increased by 13% to $6.0bn.
• Reported revenue increased by 2% to $12.8bn, primarily reflecting interest rate rises, partly offset by an adverse movement in
market impacts in insurance manufacturing in WPB, foreign currency translation impacts and losses on planned business disposals.
Adjusted revenue increased by 12% to $13.1bn.
• Net interest margin (‘NIM’) of 1.35% rose by 9 basis points (‘bps’) from 1Q22.
• Reported operating expenses were 5% lower, due to foreign currency translation impacts. The impact of our cost-saving initiatives
and continued cost discipline mitigated increased investment and inflation. Adjusted operating expenses were stable at $7.5bn.
• The increase in adjusted revenue of 12% while maintaining stable adjusted operating expenses resulted in adjusted jaws of 12%.
• Customer lending was $27bn lower in 2Q22, on a reported basis, due to foreign currency translation impacts. Adjusted
customer lending increased by $14bn with growth across all regions.
Outlook for 2022
• The revenue outlook remains positive. Based on the current market consensus for global central bank rates and our continued mid-singledigit percentage lending growth expectations for 2022, we would expect net interest income of at least $31bn for 2022 and at
least $37bn for 20231
(based on average June rates of foreign exchange).
• We continue to expect our ECL charges to normalise towards 30bps of average loans in 2022, recognising the possible risk of
further deterioration in the consensus economic outlook.
• We remain confident in our ability to deliver 2022 adjusted operating expenses in line with 2021, despite inflationary pressures. We now
aim to deliver 2023 adjusted cost growth of around 2%, compared with 20221
, and intend to maintain strict cost discipline
thereafter.
• With profit generation and continued RWA actions, we aim to manage back to within our 14% to 14.5% CET1 target range
during the first half of 2023. While further share buy-backs remain unlikely in 2022, for future years we expect to return to
shareholders excess capital over and above what is required for executing the strategy. The forecast loss on the disposal of our French
retail operations is expected to impact our CET1 ratio by approximately 30bps in the second half of 2022.
• The impact of our growth and transformation programmes over the last two years has given us the confidence to update our returns
guidance. Subject to the current path implied by the market for global policy rates, we are now targeting a RoTE of at least 12%
from 2023 onwards, noting continued macroeconomic uncertainty.
• Given the current returns trajectory, we expect a dividend payout ratio of around 50% for 2023 and 2024. We also intend to
revert to paying quarterly dividends in 2023, although we expect the quarterly dividend for the first three quarters to initially be reinstated
at a lower level than the historical quarterly dividend of $0.10 per share paid up to the end of 2019.
1 Based on current accounting standards. The implementation of IFRS 17 on 1 January 2023 will result in certain insurance costs being presented as a
deduction to reported revenue with a resultant reduction in reported operating expenses
Key financial metrics
Half-year to
30 Jun 30 Jun 31 Dec

And later;

Dividends

On 1 August 2022, the Directors approved an interim dividend for the 2022 half-year of $0.09 per ordinary share in respect of the financial
year ending 31 December 2022. This distribution amounts to approximately $1,800m and will be payable on 29 September 2022. No liability
is recognised in the financial statements in respect of these dividends.

https://www.hsbc.com/investors/results- ... wdownloads

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 1st, 2022, 6:06 am

Further to the above, the CEO was interviewed on Bloomberg this morning;

HSBC Holdings Plc delivered better-than-estimated profits, vowing to restore paying quarterly dividends next year as it seeks to head off a call by its largest shareholder to split up.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... 0statement.

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 1st, 2022, 7:04 am

These results sound very encouraging to me. Of course, they are reported from Hong Kong where the senior management are reported to be hosting a meeting of the shareholders in that territory. After the upsets since Covid (and that cancelled dividend) HSBC will now be trying to regain support and trust from the many shareholders in Hong Kong.

Anyway, at last they seem to be getting on top of things and obviously reinstating quarterly dividends is good.

Pity about the CET ratio which is well down. I think Standard Chartered announces its result this week as well. Be interesting to see what its CET is because it ought to be affected in much the same way.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 1st, 2022, 7:08 am

RNS re the above HSBC Results here; https://www.investegate.co.uk/hsbc-hold ... 00043482U/

Heads up, they're showing the interview of the CEO that took place earlier today on Bloomberg again shortly.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 1st, 2022, 7:25 am

HSBC 2022 Interims Video Webcast & Conference Call.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/hsbc-hold ... 00123483U/

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 1st, 2022, 8:17 am

idpickering wrote:HSBC 2022 Interims Video Webcast & Conference Call.

Ian.

Thanks Ian. I have listened to the presentation from Noel Quinn, the CEO . He is very bullish for the first time for a long while. I gave up on the Q and A session as I could not hear the questions. They did not shy away from the issue of splitting the bank and these points were obviously aimed at Ping An, their biggest shareholder. As I write this the London share price is up nearly 5%.

All sounds good to me.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 1st, 2022, 8:34 am

Dod101 wrote:

Ian.

Thanks Ian. I have listened to the presentation from Noel Quinn, the CEO . He is very bullish for the first time for a long while. I gave up on the Q and A session as I could not hear the questions. They did not shy away from the issue of splitting the bank and these points were obviously aimed at Ping An, their biggest shareholder. As I write this the London share price is up nearly 5%.

All sounds good to me.

Dod

Thanks for your post, and feedback Dod. I’m mighty glad that I brought HSBC back into my HYP fold. I may well top up my holdings some time?

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 1st, 2022, 8:48 am

idpickering wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Ian.

All sounds good to me.

Dod

Thanks for your post, and feedback Dod. I’m mighty glad that I brought HSBC back into my HYP fold. I may well top up my holdings some time?

Ian.

I see the share price is now up 6.74%, rising fast the caption says.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 1st, 2022, 9:06 am

Dod101 wrote:
idpickering wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Ian.

All sounds good to me.

Dod

Ian.

Dod

I note that Dod. The CEO mentioned in the Bloomberg interview that they’re looking at aggressively raising the dividend in due course, which is of more interest to me as a HYPer, but obviously today’s rise in sp is nice too.

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 1st, 2022, 9:13 am

idpickering wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
idpickering wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Ian.

All sounds good to me.

Dod

Ian.

Dod

I note that Dod. The CEO mentioned in the Bloomberg interview that they’re looking at aggressively raising the dividend in due course, which is of more interest to me as a HYPer, but obviously today’s rise in sp is nice too.

Ian.

Well they are raising the dividend for this year's interim from 7 cents last year to 9 cents That is a very decent increase. I expect we can expect an increase for the final as well for this year if everything turns out as they expect. These are good increases. They say that they will reinstate quarterly dividends from 2023.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 1st, 2022, 8:42 pm

There's a heck of a lot of "moving parts in the results requiring a better understanding than I have of the important metrics that drive the shareprice. The market has spoken positively today and that's important ( well, it is to me!).

I'm pleased with the dividend increase and the plans and intentions ( I look forward to the reversion to Quarterly dividends).

CET1 is down a little but there's still a very comfortable margin (13.6% v 6% min)..noting "With profit generation and continued RWA actions, we aim to manage back to within our 14% to 14.5% CET1 target range during the first half of 2023"

https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/r ... 20earnings.

I'm going to offer up the following link ..very relevant as it considers HSBC.

https://www.fe.training/free-resources/ ... le-equity/

I picked up on

"We can use this information to calculate the bank’s return on average tangible equity, 8.3% in 2021, compared with 3.1% in 2020. This improvement was due to the coronavirus pandemic suppressing profits – and therefore the RoTE – in 2020."

Latest financials...( from above update)

"Return on average tangible equity (‘RoTE‘) (annualised) of 9.9% increased by 0.5 percentage points compared with 1H21,

Well, the RoTE is moving in the right direction!

including a 2.3 percentage point annualised impact of the deferred tax asset gain

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 2nd, 2022, 12:37 pm

(Previous post....I didn't mean to include the last line (deferred tax asset gain) , it slipped in there by mistake!)

‐----------‐-----------------------‐-------------‐-‐------‐-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... inflation/

"HSBC is coming under more pressure to break up its business after an activist investor set up a pressure group to rally support for the move.

Ken Lui, the shareholder and founder of the Hong Kong Investor and Entrepreneur Institute, is pushing for the bank to spin off its Asian operations and list them separately – a move first proposed by its biggest investor Ping An."

Is any of this agitation politically motivated....he's actually being allowed to protest without the authorities clamping down!

"Mr Lui said a split would make it easier for HSBC to navigate tensions between China and the West. He added that he was disappointed with management, especially over its decision to suspend dividends.".....The shareholder is seeking to build on an effort from 2020 when he gathered about 3,000 local investors to protest HSBC’s move to halt dividends at the start of the pandemic."

( Ken, we weren't happy neither!)

I guess he won't have the same level of support as in 2020 and, if he's not happy, maybe they should take their money and invest elsewhere!

Keeping the likes of Ping An and other big shareholders on board is more important.

Source. Simplywallstreet
https://simplywall.st/stocks/gb/banks/l ... #ownership

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 2nd, 2022, 12:56 pm

HSBC Shareholders Grill Executives at Chaotic Hong Kong Event.

HSBC Holdings Plc’s first meeting in three years with its investor base in Hong Kong became chaotic as disgruntled shareholders were denied access to the overfilled event on the city’s Kowloon side.

Dozens of shareholders, including elderly in wheelchairs and carrying walking sticks, were refused access to the main hall at Kowloon Bay International Trade & Exhibition Centre. Organizers cited Covid restrictions for the miscues, which left many of the attendees visibly frustrated at their first chance to grill HSBC executives since 2019.

Chief Executive Officer Noel Quinn and Chairman Mark Tucker fielded questions for about an hour from hundreds of shareholders that were able to gain access. They apologized for cutting dividends and were forced to defend their dismissal of a plan by its largest shareholder Ping An Insurance Group Co. to split off the Asian operations.

HSBC on Monday delivered better-than-estimated profits for its second quarter and pledged to return to paying quarterly dividends next year and eventually restore payouts to pre-Covid levels. Tucker told the crowd that the bank has a “strong intent” to bring payouts back to past levels.

“We hope this strategy served as a thank you to you all,” Peter Wong, the chairman of HSBC’s Hong Kong business, also said at the meeting.

Known colloquially in the city as The Hong Kong Bank, local shareholders make up about a third of the bank’s investor base. A broad part of the city -- from retirees to taxi drivers -- have held onto the stock for years. But that loyalty has been tested, with dividends at half of what they were in 2018.

Among those flocking to meeting were the Cheng family, which first bought HSBC shares about 40 years ago. The family has a tradition of attending the annual meetings, but the elderly Cheng’s were this time unable to gain access to the main hall due to the virus restrictions.

Cheng said he has relied heavily on HSBC dividends from his about 20,000 shares and is still smarting from the move to scrap dividends in 2020. “I hope this won’t happen ever again,” he said outside the meeting room. “It’s hurting the hearts of old shareholders and literally lives.”

The plan by Ping An to split HSBC has gained traction among some of the bank’s retail investor base, with one activist shareholder forming a new group to call for the spin off of HSBC’s Asian operations. Shareholders also picketed outside the meeting, calling on the bank to spin off of its Asian business.

Support

“We note the demands expressed by a number of HSBC’s small and medium-sized shareholders,” a Ping An spokesperson said in a message. “We support any proposal that is conducive to improving HSBC’s operating performance and enhances shareholder value.”

Quinn said at the meeting that a spinoff would have a material negative impact on the bank. At least one attendee also offered support for HSBC’s desire to stay intact.

The former British colony is the beating heart of the bank’s global operations, accounting for about 30% of the group’s 2021 adjusted profits. But decisions such as the halting of dividends have been driven by regulators in the UK, chafing the local base.

Still, they are a fragmented group that have struggled to wield clout in the past. An attempt to call for an extraordinary general meeting in 2020 to reverse the bank’s decision on dividends failed to reach the 5% required threshold.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/hsbc-shareh ... -1.1800242

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 3rd, 2022, 3:43 pm

HSBC Faces Skepticism as Pushback Against Break Up Call Starts.

HSBC Holdings Plc kickstarted its public fightback against Ping An Insurance Group Co.’s push to break it up this week. The early indications are that the lender has a long way to go to convince some shareholders of its strategy.

Amid chaotic scenes at a shareholder meeting in Hong Kong on Tuesday at which dozens of investors were turned away, protesters held up placards in support of Ping An as HSBC executives and directors got their first chance to make their case directly to stockholders.

Chairman Mark Tucker and Chief Executive Officer Noel Quinn used the keenly awaited gathering to say the Chinese insurer’s Asian carve-out plan was unworkable and posed a major risk to the London-headquartered company. It would also put Hong Kong’s place as a global financial center at risk, with a break up of HSBC potentially having a “negative impact” on the former British colony, Quinn warned.

The warning did not move Ping An. At the end of the highly-charged meeting, the insurer said in a statement: “We note the demands expressed by a number of HSBC’s small and medium-sized shareholders. We support any proposal that is conducive to improving HSBC’s operating performance and enhances shareholder value.”

Direct Remarks

HSBC’s uncharacteristically direct remarks followed comments made alongside its second-quarter results on Monday. “We believe the strategy we’re pursuing is the right strategy,” said Quinn, speaking in a phone interview on Monday. “It’s the fastest and safest way to improve returns and improve dividends.”

HSBC set out 14 reasons why changing the bank’s structure was a bad idea, ranging from the length of time it would take - the bank reckons as long as five years - to the loss of direct access to US dollars. Against this, the lender is also talking up its own pivot to Asia strategy that involves shifting more capital and resources from west to east as it looks to bulk up in areas like wealth management and insurance.

To bolster its case, the bank has started to publish more information on how its Asian operations rely on their connections to businesses outside of the region. HSBC gave the example of its Asian securities services business where just two out of its 20 largest clients are based in Asia, with the rest in North America or Europe.

If the Hong Kong business was split off its revenue would fall, Quinn told the shareholder gathering. “That would have a very negative impact on the profitability in Hong Kong which would then have a negative impact on the market valuation of the business in Asia and of the dividend potential in Hong Kong,” the British banker said.

Ping An Supporters

Prominent figures in Hong Kong, such as Christine Fong Kwok-shan, a councilor for Hong Kong’s Sai Kung district, disagree. Some shareholders believe they are not being considered at the moment, Fong said.

“They think the Bank of England isn’t protecting the interests of shareholders, particularly in Asia,” said Fong, whose parents own shares in the bank. Fong supports a break up and also wants Ping An to get a seat on HSBC’s board, something Quinn has rejected.

Some Hong Kong investors see their city as the cash cow for a bank that is beholden to Western interests. A letter from Ken Lui, an HSBC shareholder and representative of a new investor forum calling themselves the Spin Off HSBC Asia Concern Group, expanded on this view. “Since 2021, the Asian business remains to contribute almost 70% of the bank’s profits,” wrote Lui.

“The profits generated in Asia were allocated to subsidize the loss suffered in Europe and America,” Lui wrote.

Dividends Freeze

The Bank of England’s order in March 2020 that major UK banks cease dividend payments as the Covid crisis unfolded stirred sustained investor anger among Hong Kong investors. Tucker apologized Tuesday for the cancellation and said such an order from the UK central bank was unlikely to be repeated. The bank has promised to lift its dividend next year, but this seems unlikely to satisfy Ping An and some of its Hong Kong retail investors.

“I am not sure a bit more dividend will appease an activist referencing structural change,” said Joseph Dickerson, a banks analyst at Jefferies International in London. “On the other hand, HSBC’s management’s robust points on group structure serve as good touch points for a broader debate.”

The increase in dividend payouts should mollify some retail shareholders, along with HSBC’s control of costs and swelling revenues, said Bloomberg Intelligence analyst Jonathan Tyce. “We feel more comfortable than previously that now is not the time to be talking or exploring a breakup,” said Tyce.

There is no sign that Ping An, which holds more than 8% of HSBC’s shares, is about to drop its behind-the-scenes demands. The insurer continues to focus on persuading HSBC to give shareholders a vote on the the spin off of its Asian operations as a Hong Kong-listed and headquartered standalone business, according to a person familiar with the company’s thinking.

With Ping An unlikely to walk away, a long campaign beckons for HSBC and its advisers from Goldman Sachs Group Inc and Robey Warshaw as they make the case that the status quo beats radical change.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/hsbc-faces- ... -1.1800792

Ian.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 3rd, 2022, 3:50 pm

if they're not happy ( Ping An)....they can sell and reinvest in...whatever company the communist party decides it wants a chunk of.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 3rd, 2022, 4:03 pm

Personally I buy into the argument by the management that the financing of cross boarder trade is incredibly important to HSBC and that would at the very least be badly blunted if they split themselves in two. There are also referrals from Europe to Asia and all sorts of other benefits in being one global bank. That I think is what the Chinese do not quite see. They see it as a sort of bank of last resort in the Hong Kong market where they can feel that their savings will be safe. Before the HK Monetary Authority was established that is what HSBC was in any case.

Dod

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » August 3rd, 2022, 5:07 pm

You would have thought the Chinese government would want HSBC to remain a bank with worldwide involvement that facilitates trade as long as the management is sufficiently subservient to them. It might be better for HSBC to reduce their retail footprint in the West so as to be less of a political football. Rather a tightrope balancing act? Still all the complaining politicians and journalists in the West who criticise HSBC, carry on buying Chinese products themselves thereby supporting the People's Republic. So blinkered they don't see their own hypocrisy!

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » August 11th, 2022, 6:23 pm

From today’s FT:

“HSBC’s largest shareholder Ping An has doubled down on its campaign to break the bank up, rejecting executives’ recent arguments that a split would take too long, cost too much and damage earnings from its global network.”

An interesting article (I don’t think I can link to FT articles) as I assume that Ping An have the tacit approval of the Chinese government.

Best wishes,

Steve

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 11th, 2022, 10:04 pm

Steveam wrote:From today’s FT:

“HSBC’s largest shareholder Ping An has doubled down on its campaign to break the bank up, rejecting executives’ recent arguments that a split would take too long, cost too much and damage earnings from its global network.”

An interesting article (I don’t think I can link to FT articles) as I assume that Ping An have the tacit approval of the Chinese government.

Best wishes,

Steve

The other interesting thing about Ping An's position is that if there was a split, they would probably end up with a bigger share of the eastern bank without putting up any extra cash. They are not altogether daft these Chinese!

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » September 12th, 2022, 4:58 pm

HSBC CFO Says Bank May ‘Materially’ Raise Staff Pay in 2023.

Ewen Stevenson says bank is currently short of its cost target
‘Brutal’ cost control required to keep a lid on expenses

HSBC Holdings Plc Chief Financial Officer Ewen Stevenson said rising inflation could force the bank to significantly raise salaries as its eyes “brutal” cuts in an attempt to keep a lid on costs.

“We are seeing pretty broad cost inflation,” Stevenson said at a financial services conference hosted by Barclays Plc in New York. “Half of our cost base is fixed pay. We are thinking that we will have to materially step that up again in ‘23 relative to ‘22.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... 20expenses

Ian.

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”