Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Legal & General (LGEN)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
77ss
Lemon Quarter

Re: Legal & General (LGEN)

Postby 77ss » October 4th, 2022, 9:27 am

idpickering wrote:Trading Statement......

Update on LGIM's UK LDI business
Recent extraordinary increases in interest rates, and the unprecedented speed of those increases, have caused challenges for the pension fund clients and counterparties of LGIM's UK LDI (Liability Driven Investment) business.

The Bank of England announced last Wednesday its intention, in line with its financial stability objectives, to carry out purchases of long dated gilts in a temporary and targeted way to restore orderly market conditions. Interest rates have reduced as a result.

These steps have helped to alleviate the pressure on our clients. We are continuing to work closely with them to achieve appropriate hedging levels in their portfolios. LGIM acts as an agent between our LDI clients and market counterparties and therefore has no balance sheet exposure.

Ian.

So much, it appears, for all the LDI panic.

I was not in the least tempted to sell - and being rather overweight/cash light, did not feel that topping up was an option.

I was much more alarmed by the prospect of losing the CEO into the maw of our new government. Phew - dodged that bullet!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/1eab ... 2c2f188cbd

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » October 4th, 2022, 9:30 am

Dod101 wrote:I am delighted to see this statement from L & G and it confirms totally my feelings on this company. I hope now that all the doomsters will accept that L: & G is a well run, first class operation that I have always maintained that it was. The doomsters basically did not know much about this company. That statement could hardly be more positive.

Many thanks Ian for posting and for having the courage to buy more when you did.

Dod

I don't think you should knock so called "doomsters". Anything that makes you reconsider the downside of your investment is a good thing in my book. Being overly positive is as bad as being overly negative. I had no idea what LDI was 8 days ago and so I've learnt a lot as a result of the discussion. You certainly won't learn much about LDI from reading the L&G Annual Report.

All the best, Si

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 4th, 2022, 9:37 am

simoan wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I am delighted to see this statement from L & G and it confirms totally my feelings on this company. I hope now that all the doomsters will accept that L: & G is a well run, first class operation that I have always maintained that it was. The doomsters basically did not know much about this company. That statement could hardly be more positive.

Many thanks Ian for posting and for having the courage to buy more when you did.

Dod

I don't think you should knock so called "doomsters". Anything that makes you reconsider the downside of your investment is a good thing in my book. Being overly positive is as bad as being overly negative. I had no idea what LDI was 8 days ago and so I've learnt a lot as a result of the discussion. You certainly won't learn much about LDI from reading the L&G Annual Report.

All the best, Si

I consider the downside for my investments all the time. If you read back this thread as I have just done, you will see that I for instance have sounded a note of caution in nearly all of my posts, although I have remained robustly on the side of L & G, recognising its longevity and positive culture.

Dod

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » October 4th, 2022, 9:40 am

Dod101 wrote:
simoan wrote:

Dod

All the best, Si

I consider the downside for my investments all the time. If you read back this thread as I have just done, you will see that I for instance have sounded a note of caution in nearly all of my posts, although I have remained robustly on the side of L & G, recognising its longevity and positive culture.

Dod

Sorry, I was making a general comment. Not aimed at you. Just saying that we should ALL welcome negative comments about our investments.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » October 4th, 2022, 9:55 am

Despite moving into collectives I couldn't resist adding a small amount to my already large holding.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » October 4th, 2022, 12:46 pm

LGEN trading statement (idpickering] wrote:
One of the strengths of the UK insurance regime is that we regularly monitor and stress our capital and liquidity requirements to a 1 in 200 stress level so that we can withstand shocks like we have seen in the past few days. We hold considerable buffers over these prudent requirements and have a wide array of tools available to manage collateral calls - for example, being able to post a variety of different types of assets, or assets in different currencies, as collateral..

That I think is a key point, that the supervisory regime requires then to consider and withstand shocks like an instant 1% rise in interest rates. Such a suoervisory regime doesn't apply or isn't applied to closed defined benefit pension schemes despite their similarity to some parts of LGEN's business.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 4th, 2022, 1:47 pm

Alaric wrote:
LGEN trading statement (idpickering] wrote:
One of the strengths of the UK insurance regime is that we regularly monitor and stress our capital and liquidity requirements to a 1 in 200 stress level so that we can withstand shocks like we have seen in the past few days. We hold considerable buffers over these prudent requirements and have a wide array of tools available to manage collateral calls - for example, being able to post a variety of different types of assets, or assets in different currencies, as collateral..

That I think is a key point, that the supervisory regime requires then to consider and withstand shocks like an instant 1% rise in interest rates. Such a suoervisory regime doesn't apply or isn't applied to closed defined benefit pension schemes despite their similarity to some parts of LGEN's business.

There is a pension scheme regulator and it is surely up to him to ensure that pension schemes are properly supervised and run by the administrator.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » October 5th, 2022, 10:15 am

A break from "LDI"..."LGHM" ! ( L&G Homes Modular).

https://www.constructionenquirer.com/20 ... hits-174m/

"Legal & General Homes Modular recorded a £37m pre-tax loss last year. But the business, which operates from its 550,000 sq ft modular factory in Sherburn-in-Elmet, near Leeds, did record its first revenue of £12m since being established. Sales finally got going as site developments at Broadstairs in Kent, Selby in North Yorkshire and North Horsham in West Sussex advanced."

An internet search reveals

https://www.legalandgeneral.com/modular ... ood-acres/

clicking on a link from the L&G website link leads to

https://lovelivinghomes.co.uk/new-devel ... L&Gwebsite

The houses are shared ownership, starting at £88.5k for a 30% stake ( 2 bed).

TBH they look pretty conventional, I was expecting something a bit more "boxy"..a bit more " modular" ;)

("modular"....think Jarvis Cocker "pop..u..lar") ;)

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 18th, 2022, 7:10 am

Trading Statement.

Legal & General: Market update
Legal & General Group Plc ("Legal & General" or the "Group") notes the Chancellor's references in yesterday's Autumn Statement to Solvency II reform. We believe the proposals represent a positive step forward. We also provide an update on PRT (Pension Risk Transfer) new business written year to date and further detail on LDI (Liability Driven Investing). Finally, the Group reiterates its ambition to deliver full year operating profit growth and capital generation in line with the guidance given at the interim results.

Solvency II: a strong position bolstered by positive proposed reforms
The Group welcomes the Chancellor's references in yesterday's Autumn Statement to Solvency II reform. We believe the proposals, as outlined in the corresponding policy document [1] , represent positive progress and will allow us greater flexibility to make appropriate investments, including ones which: develop new infrastructure, contribute to the UK Government's levelling-up agenda, and support positive climate outcomes. We welcome the primary proposals to: reduce the risk margin for long-term life insurance business by 65%, maintain the existing methodology and calibration of the fundamental spread, and broaden the matching adjustment eligibility criteria to include assets with highly predictable (as opposed to fixed) cashflows . We welcome the inclusion of these reforms as part of the Government's reform programme to financial services regulation, through the Financial Services & Markets Bill process, which we anticipate will be during the first half of 2023.

The Group estimates its Solvency coverage ratio as at 11th November 2022 to be between 225-230%, principally reflecting the contribution from higher interest rates and strong ongoing operational surplus generation (FY21: 187%). We expect the reform to the risk margin to increase the Group's solvency ratio by 3-4 percentage points. Currently, approximately half of the assets backing our annuity portfolio are bonds issued by companies that are not based in the UK. We would expect the percentage of UK-based assets backing our UK annuity portfolio to increase following the implementation of these reforms.

PRT: continuing to perform strongly in an attractive and growing global market
Our global PRT business has continued to perform strongly, securing new business wins in each of the UK, US and Canada in the last few weeks. Year-to-date, LGRI (Legal & General Retirement Institutional) has transacted or is in exclusive negotiations on £9.3bn of global PRT business (UK: £7.1bn and International: $2.6bn), which already exceeds the £7.2bn of global PRT secured in 2021.

There has been a step-up in the number of pension schemes approaching the insurance market and the global pipeline into 2023 is the busiest we have seen. Indeed, LCP anticipate £100-200bn of UK PRT demand over the next three years. [2]

We are on track to deliver another strong PRT result this year and a record year for our international PRT business. We have continued to source high quality assets at attractive yields throughout the second half of the year. These assets have been used both to increase the overall yield on our backbook as well as to secure the recent new business. PRT volumes have been secured at margins and capital strain that are in line with our long-term average.

Our UK annuity portfolio has continued to be highly resilient to market moves and has not experienced any difficulty in meeting collateral calls. Positioning remains defensive with approximately 10% of the portfolio held in cash and high-quality government bonds, with no material changes to the investment or liquidity management strategy anticipated in the near future. We expect the portfolio to be self-sustaining again in 2022.

LDI: a liquidity challenge in the UK prompted by a rapid increase in interest rates
Legal & General Investment Management (LGIM) has for many years supported pension funds with a variety of solutions, including LDI, and continues to do so.[3] We earn on average 2-4bps fee margin on LDI assets under management. We implement LDI business for clients in the UK, US and Europe. UK LDI is expected to be around c2% of our Group divisional operating profit in 2022 as it was in 2021.[4]

LDI enables pension funds to match movements in pension assets with liabilities, whilst freeing up capital to invest in growth assets. LDI has played a critical role in helping Defined Benefit (DB) pension funds to reduce their pension deficits. As the UK Pensions Regulator noted recently: "Over the past twenty years, as long-term interest rates fell to historically low levels and through market events seen through the COVID-19 pandemic, LDI has meant that the assets in DB schemes increased. During that period, LDI also played a significant role in helping to manage the affordability of DB schemes for employers."[5]

LGIM has worked closely with its LDI clients to support them through the recent period of severe market volatility, which catalysed a sharp and extreme rise in interest rates. Interest rates had been increasing throughout 2022 in most major western markets. In the UK, between the beginning of the year and 16th September (just prior to the mini-Budget) 30-year gilt rates increased by 230 basis points. This had not caused significant disruption for UK LDI clients. However, in the week of and following the mini-Budget, 30-year gilt rates increased rapidly by a further 150 basis points before the Bank of England stepped in to provide support to the gilt market.[6] This sharp and extreme increase in gilt yields, which materially increased the collateral required by banks from LDI funds, was more than twice the level seen over any week in the last 25 years. This caused liquidity problems for some LDI clients who had assets available but could not access them in time to provide cash collateral.

The extreme volatility in the UK gilt market following the mini-Budget has highlighted the need for technical changes to ensure the smooth functioning of both LDI and the government's financing of its debt. Clients who have implemented LDI have now significantly increased collateralisation levels. In addition, LDI providers are working closely with banks to further enhance and diversify sources of collateral.

Recent events have highlighted to DB pension funds the value of holding additional scheme assets with their LDI provider, enabling easier access to liquidity. We are well positioned to benefit from any potential consolidation of pension scheme assets, given our range of investment capabilities. LGIM acts as an agent between our LDI clients, their trustees, advisers, and market counterparties (banks) and therefore has no balance sheet exposure.

We have experienced positive flows into LDI over the course of 2022. However, DB flow-related revenue has decreased as higher fee products have been sold to meet collateral requests. We expect DB flow-related annual revenue and profits to reduce by around £10m in 2022 as a result. More generally, and as we signalled at the interim results, rising interest rates have reduced LGIM's assets under management in fixed income and solutions strategies, with a consequent reduction in revenue.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/legal---3 ... 00048336G/

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 18th, 2022, 8:06 am

Thanks for posting this Ian, although I must say that I cannot make any comments on it except to feel reassured. It is all rather technical but maybe others who understand more about it can help.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 18th, 2022, 9:16 am

Dod101 wrote:Thanks for posting this Ian, although I must say that I cannot make any comments on it except to feel reassured. It is all rather technical but maybe others who understand more about it can help.

Dod

You're welcome Dod. Me neither regarding the technicalities. The market seems reassured re this too, with the LGEN SP being up 3% as I type. nb Other insurance type shares are up slightly too though. I hold, topped up when COVID19 hit us all, and haven't touched them since, apart from a small top up two months ago.

Ian.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » November 18th, 2022, 9:35 am

Dod101 wrote:Thanks for posting this Ian, although I must say that I cannot make any comments on it except to feel reassured. It is all rather technical but maybe others who understand more about it can help.

Dod

What I took from it… on the plus side the Solvency ratio will improve 3-4% as a result of the lower risk margins announced by Hunt yesterday. On the downside, the LDI debacle has cost them £10m in revenue and profit. It also turns out LDI business is only 2% of LGIM operating profit. Nice to see a number put on this after all the fuss.

I assume the share price reaction is due to reconfirming 8% operating profit growth so close to the FY end, and the good news on the future improvement in the Solvency ratio.

All the best, Si

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 18th, 2022, 10:15 am

simoan wrote:

Dod

What I took from it… on the plus side the Solvency ratio will improve 3-4% as a result of the lower risk margins announced by Hunt yesterday. On the downside, the LDI debacle has cost them £10m in revenue and profit. It also turns out LDI business is only 2% of LGIM operating profit. Nice to see a number put on this after all the fuss.

I assume the share price reaction is due to reconfirming 8% operating profit growth so close to the FY end, and the good news on the future improvement in the Solvency ratio.

All the best, Si

Thanks. I have always thought highly of Legal & General. They have consistently stuck to their last and are a very conservatively run operation. I guess they would not have made any comment at the moment but for the Autumn Statement, so the uptick in the share price, whilst to be welcomed, is probably not all that significant.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » November 18th, 2022, 11:17 am

Annual profits 2021..over £2262m (https://group.legalandgeneral.com/en/in ... rt-summary).

£10m "hit" equates to 0.44% of overall company profit.

(Google "LGEN" and the news focuses on the £10m as though it was a big issue).

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 18th, 2022, 12:11 pm

monabri wrote:Annual profits 2021..over £2262m (https://group.legalandgeneral.com/en/in ... rt-summary).

Yes. It is actually 'noise' as in the stockmarket any day. Anyway the share price uplift this morning seems to be holding.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » November 18th, 2022, 7:20 pm

Dod101 wrote:
monabri wrote:Annual profits 2021..over £2262m (https://group.legalandgeneral.com/en/in ... rt-summary).

Yes. It is actually 'noise' as in the stockmarket any day. Anyway the share price uplift this morning seems to be holding.

Dod

I see PHNX also had a good day too.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 19th, 2022, 7:31 am

simoan wrote:

Dod

All the best, Si

Rereading this thread, I suppose we do not read much about LDI in the Annual Report because for L & G it is such a small part of their business, but it is always helpful to know these things. I said again yesterday, this is a well run operation.

Dopd

Tara
2 Lemon pips

Postby Tara » November 20th, 2022, 2:09 pm

Dod101 wrote:
simoan wrote:

Dod

All the best, Si

Rereading this thread, I suppose we do not read much about LDI in the Annual Report because for L & G it is such a small part of their business, but it is always helpful to know these things. I said again yesterday, this is a well run operation.

Dopd

Do you get any commission Dod each time you say you really like L&G ? :)

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » November 20th, 2022, 3:17 pm

All these insurers are so opaque and with so many fingers in so many pies, that I doubt anyone, including management, really understand all the risks.

Having said that L&G has come through so many market financial scares unscathed for so long that it seems reasonable to take the view that they are a 'class act' and a better investment than most in the sector. Having said that, I wouldn't have too much of my portfolio in companies that no one really understands! (I have less than 2% in L&G and am happy to stay at that level).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 30th, 2023, 7:20 am

Planned retirement of Sir Nigel Wilson.

Legal & General Group Plc ("Legal & General" or "the Group") announces that Sir Nigel Wilson has informed the Board that he has decided that he would like to retire from executive life after over a decade as Chief Executive.

Sir Nigel Wilson joined Legal & General Group in 2009 as Chief Financial Officer and was appointed Chief Executive in 2012.

Since Sir Nigel joined Legal & General, the Group has delivered a consistently strong financial performance with a total shareholder return of over 600% driven by significant growth in dividends, earnings per share and ROE. During his time as Chief Executive, Sir Nigel has executed numerous strategic initiatives to grow and re-focus the business, consistently exceeding financial and operational targets while also ensuring Legal & General has delivered Inclusive Capitalism with positive outcomes for shareholders, customers and the broader economy.

The Board will now commence a rigorous process to appoint a successor, considering both internal and external candidates. Sir Nigel has agreed to continue as Chief Executive until the new Chief Executive starts and he will support a smooth transition following their appointment. It is envisaged that this process will take around a year. In the meantime, Sir Nigel will continue to focus on delivering the current strategy of the Group, supported by the executive team.

Sir John Kingman said:

"The Board would like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to the outstanding contribution Nigel has made to Legal & General Group for almost fourteen years. He is a world-class leader who has worked with great passion and energy, and we have been very fortunate to have had his vision, drive and commitment.

Nigel has successfully navigated significant geopolitical changes as well as challenges in the regulatory and market environments of each of our core businesses and has steered the Group into a position of strength from which it can continue developing on behalf of its shareholders, customers and people.

Under his stewardship, the Group has consistently delivered profitable, sustainable and inclusive growth. Nigel has been a tireless champion for investment-led growth and responsible investment.

Nigel's decision to announce his planned retirement from Legal & General now allows for an orderly process to appoint a new Chief Executive who can continue delivering on the Group's immense potential."

Sir Nigel Wilson said:

"Legal & General has been a big part of my life and my decision to retire from the Group has been taken with mixed emotions. It has been an honour and privilege to serve as Chief Executive of Legal & General over the past decade and I am deeply proud of everything we have achieved. It has been a remarkable team effort by all my colleagues across the world. Without their unstinting efforts we would not have achieved the tremendous success we have. I have also benefitted hugely from the support of an outstanding Board.

I firmly believe we have laid strong foundations to support the next phase of growth for the Group, with one of the most talented, collaborative and collegiate management teams in any industry to deliver this.

I remain fully committed to delivering the current strategy of the Group, in partnership with the executive team, and supporting the transition to a new Chief Executive."

https://www.investegate.co.uk/legal---3 ... 00042266O/

Ian (I hold).

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”