Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Unilever (ULVR)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
simoan
Lemon Quarter

Re: Unilever (ULVR)

Postby simoan » January 25th, 2024, 1:22 pm

monabri wrote:https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/unilevers-us-european-market-share-slips-private-label-booms-2024-01-24/

"Investors and analysts, who warned that the prolonged hikes could alienate shoppers in the long term, have called out Unilever's shrinking market share for several quarters, raising concerns over growing private label brands on conference calls."

"From ice cream to mayonnaise and laundry detergent, Unilever lost market share in the quarter, the data showed. In Europe, the company's share of the ice cream category declined by 141 basis points in the month to Dec. 3, while mayonnaise declined by 374 basis points."

"Overall, Unilever's European market share in food fell by 160 basis points, while market share in household and personal goods fell by 52 basis points."

"In the United States, Unilever's body wash business, which includes Dove products, lost the most market share - down 510 basis points - while deodorant brands such as Axe fell 310 basis points in the month to Dec. 2, Nielsen data showed. Household and personal goods in the U.S. fell 245 basis points, while food fell only 20 basis points. Unilever did not respond to a request for comment."

"Unilever, like others in the industry, has also lost market share because it has been cutting down on the variety of products it makes, particularly in ice cream, using artificial intelligence and other tools to help it decide which products to drop."

""Schumacher has highlighted that winning market share is an area where they are focused on delivering improvement," he said. "This will inevitably take time in terms of turning this around, so investor patience is certainly required.""

I think many Lemons foresaw the affect that price hikes & shrinkflation might have. Once brand loyalty has been lost in favour of a cheaper supermarket label then it migh be difficult to coax buyers back. Unilever will have to increase advertising (easier/less costly if the number of products is reduced) and might have to run promotions which will have an effect on margin.

As for using AI to help decide which products to drop...in the old days they might simply get the accountants to "look at the numbers" to decide.

The repeated recent Ben & Jerry shananighans were the last straw for me. They are a pain in the side. I decided to simply invest in an IT which has a higher yield and a growing dividend. I await the Feb 8th results. Mr Schumacher has a difficult job ahead methinks.

All these issues come under what Rumsfeld would term "known knowns". If this were not the case the share price would not be where it is, you can't have it both ways. There is a reason why Procter & Gamble is on a PER of 24 and Unilever is on 16. Investing is not rocket science. If you want to stock pick and outperform then you need to do something different to the herd. If you don't, then stick your money in an index tracker or pay someone who thinks they can do better i.e. an IT or OEIC.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » January 31st, 2024, 11:11 pm

More deadwood being removed by the new brooms. Four NEDs out the door and one new one in:
https://www.londonstockexchange.com/new ... e/16312632

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 8th, 2024, 7:09 am

2023 Full Year Results

Financial and operational highlights

• Underlying sales growth of 7.0% with positive volumes, up 0.2% for the FY and 1.8% in Q4

• Turnover of €59.6 billion with (5.7)% impact from currency and (1.7)% from net disposals

• Underlying operating margin up 60bps to 16.7%, with gross margin up 200bps for the year and up 330bps in the second half

• Underlying EPS increased 1.4% with (9.6)% of adverse currency, up 11% on a constant basis

• Diluted EPS down (14.2)% against prior year that included €2.3 billion profit on disposal for the Tea business

• Strong cash conversion of 111% with free cash flow up €1.9 billion to €7.1 billion

• New €1.5 billion share buyback to commence in Q2

Dividends

The Board has declared a quarterly interim dividend for Q4 2023 of £0.3647 per Unilever PLC ordinary share or €0.4268 per Unilever PLC ordinary share at the applicable exchange rate issued by WM/Reuters on 6 February 2024.

The following amounts will be paid in respect of this quarterly interim dividend on the relevant payment date:

Per Unilever PLC ordinary share (traded on the London Stock Exchange): £0.3647

Ex div 22 Feb 24 paid 22 Mar 24.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... ts/8027629

Ian (No holding).

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 8th, 2024, 7:58 am

In the end we have none of the drama that was discussed in earlier posts but they do seem to be progressing in the right direction. I am content with progress.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 8th, 2024, 8:05 am

Dod101 wrote:In the end we have none of the drama that was discussed in earlier posts but they do seem to be progressing in the right direction. I am content with progress.

Dod

The market likes it too Dod, with ULVR being up 3% on opening.

Ian.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » February 8th, 2024, 10:31 am

Back to business as they say. After waiting a while to get a top up it looks, today anyway, that last month's investment was a positive move unlike some of the others I did.

I don't think there was any dividend growth on last year's payment and likely to adjust with FX slightly anyway. Debt hasn't grown and most figures are moving in the better direction so there is a bit more hope that there might be a return to divi growth.

I note they have changed half the leadership team that might be why all the rubbish stuff dissappeared. Now I will just have to spread mayo on my butty and enjoy it without feeling guilty.

Share price up 3% so looks like the market likes what it heard.

KnightOfSpring
Lemon Pip

Postby KnightOfSpring » February 8th, 2024, 12:26 pm

I think they said in a presentation last year that they wanted to move dividend cover more in line with peers. So you may have to wait a couple more years maybe to get a dividend increase. Maybe not getting fully "paid to wait" (for the new CEs actions to bear fruit) at a yield of 3.6-3.65%, but not that bad I guess. Obviously also another share buyback announced also (think about 1.3%). A large topic in itself, but some might add this to the dividend yield to give a total yield closer to 5%.

Interesting that in a FundSmith, MeDirect talk on youtube from 24th Jan (2024) that Terry seems a lot more keen on Unilever now. He seems to think the new CE sounds very good and approves of the board changes that have been made. Not entirely surprising as they are both mainly singing from the same song sheet of improving what we already have, rather than going out and buying new toys (and hope these mean that investors then don't notice the problems we have failed to address).

Terry did expect it to take some time for improvement to become visibile and this was consistent with what the CE was saying in the webcast today. See that the stock market seems to becoming more accomodative short term- in past moods you could have seen the market knocking the shares down 3-5% and only moving the shares up on clear evidence the CEs turnaround was succeeding. Doesn't entirely seem different to Diageo on results day, when some were predicting it would get clobbered but actually ended up nicely on the day.

One concerning thing that Terry mentioned in the past was that he didn't think Unilever had to understanding/distribution channels for the more up market health and wellness businesses that they had acquired (from memory around 2018 eg Paula's choice, Liquid IV etc). He didn't mention this in his recent interview and it seems that this division is performing well (with the top 5 products seeing double digit increases in sales). This doesn't automatically demonstrate the acquisitions were a success (need to compare with purchase price etc), but signs that fears they were dealing with things outside their competency might have been misplaced.

Still my biggest holding in my portfolio and happy to sit tight (might trim a bit if it displayed very strong short term share price performance) and let the new CE implement his plan. Always likely to be a long term investment for me, as I wait for the value of their stake in Hindustan Unilever to be better appreciated. HUL (who had results on 19th Jan) have their own short term issues, but they have seen all this stuff with inflation changes many times before and expect they will cope well.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 18th, 2024, 3:46 pm

Publication of 2024 Notice of Annual General Meeting

Unilever PLC ("Unilever") announces that its 2024 Annual General Meeting ("AGM") will be held on Wednesday, 1 May 2024, 11.30am at Hilton London Bankside, 2-8 Great Suffolk Street, London SE1 0UG.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... gm/8093542

Ian (I hold).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 19th, 2024, 7:04 am

Unilever to accelerate Growth Action Plan through separation of Ice Cream and launch of productivity programme.

Unilever today announced steps to accelerate its Growth Action Plan (GAP) through the separation of Ice Cream and the launch of a major productivity programme.

The Board believes that Unilever should be increasingly focused on a portfolio of unmissably superior brands with strong positions in highly attractive categories that have complementary operating models. This is where the company can most effectively apply its innovation, marketing and go-to-market capabilities. Ice Cream has a very different operating model, and as a result the Board has decided that the separation of Ice Cream best serves the future growth of both Ice Cream and Unilever.

Following separation, Unilever will become a simpler, more focused company, operating four Business Groups across Beauty & Wellbeing, Personal Care, Home Care and Nutrition. These Business Groups have complementary routes to market, and/or R&D, manufacturing and distribution systems, across both developed markets and Unilever's extensive emerging markets footprint.

The separation of Ice Cream will assist Unilever's management to accelerate the implementation of its GAP, announced in October 2023, which is focused on doing fewer things, better, with greater impact to drive consistent and stronger topline growth, enhance productivity and simplicity, and step up Unilever's performance culture. In addition, Unilever will continue to optimise its portfolio within the four Business Groups towards higher growth spaces and through brands with global reach or significant potential to scale.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... n-/8094042

Ian (I hold).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 19th, 2024, 8:04 am

The above seems to have gone down well, with ULVR being up nearly 5% on UK market opening.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 25th, 2024, 7:08 am

Q1 2024 Trading Statement

First Quarter highlights

• Underlying sales growth of 4.4%, with volume growth increasing to 2.2%

• All five Business Groups reporting underlying sales growth, led by Beauty & Wellbeing

• Turnover increased 1.4% to €15.0 billion with (2.0)% impact from currency and (0.9)% from net disposals

• Power Brands (75% of turnover) leading growth with 6.1% USG, driven by a 3.8% increase in volume

• Announced separation of Ice Cream and launch of major productivity programme to accelerate the Growth Action Plan

• 2024 outlook unchanged with underlying sales growth of 3% to 5% and a modest improvement in underlying operating margin

Chief Executive Officer statement

"Unilever delivered improved volume growth in the first quarter. This was driven by our Power Brands which saw underlying sales growth of 6.1%, with strong performances from Dove, Knorr, Rexona and Sunsilk.

We are implementing the Growth Action Plan at speed, focused on three clear priorities: delivering higher-quality growth, creating a simpler and more productive business, and embedding a strong performance focus. This is underpinned by our commitment to do fewer things, better and with greater impact.

In March, we announced the separation of Ice Cream and the launch of a comprehensive productivity programme. These actions will drive focus, faster growth and reduce costs. Dedicated project teams are progressing the work at pace.

Unilever's transformation is at an early stage, but we have increasing confidence in our ability to deliver sustained volume growth and positive mix as we accelerate gross margin expansion."

And later;

Dividends

The Board has declared a quarterly interim dividend for Q1 2024 of £0.3674 per Unilever PLC ordinary share or €0.4268 per Unilever PLC ordinary share at the applicable exchange rate issued by WM/Reuters on 23 April 2024.

Ex Div 16 May 24, paid 07 Jun 24.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... nt/8155649

Ian.

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”