Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Unilever (ULVR)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Unilever (ULVR)

Postby monabri » October 26th, 2023, 2:51 pm

https://www.wsj.com/articles/unilever-p ... f-9ad265ef

" Unilever, one of the world’s largest advertisers, is set to name its U.S. head Esi Eggleston Bracey as its new marketing chief, according to people familiar with the matter.

Bracey currently leads the consumer goods giant’s business in the U.S. as well as serving as its North America personal care head. She will now take on the duties of Conny Braams, who stepped down in August.

Since joining Unilever in 2018, Bracey has leaned into so-called purpose-driven marketing, which became the foundation of the company’s marketing efforts under former CEO Alan Jope " :roll:

I saw the article but I initially thought " new single from US artist being announced".

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » October 27th, 2023, 11:00 am

https://www.unilever.com/news/press-and ... l-officer/

In addition

"Peter ter Kulve, currently President Home Care, has been appointed President Ice Cream."

Made me smile ...Great job title :lol:

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 27th, 2023, 11:06 am

monabri wrote:https://www.unilever.com/news/press-and-media/press-releases/2023/unilever-announces-new-chief-financial-officer/

In addition

"Peter ter Kulve, currently President Home Care, has been appointed President Ice Cream."

Made me smile ...Great job title :lol:

If only they had appointed someone like Lucy Creamer.*

* actually a world champion rock climber.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 27th, 2023, 11:20 am

‘Purpose driven marketing’ I would hope that all marketing is purpose driven. Who knows?

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 9th, 2023, 3:16 pm

BARCLAYS UPGRADES UNILEVER TO 'OVERWEIGHT'

Barclays upgraded Unilever to 'overweight' from 'equalweight' on Thursday and lifted the price target to 4,600p from 4,300p, turning more positive on the stock having digested chief executive Hein Schumacher's strategy update and targets.
"There's much to do and it will take time but new CEO Hein Schumacher comes across as a real operator who understands the challenges," the bank said.

"There have been false dawns but we see a path forward and on 16x 24E PE, with expectations tempered, Unilever could finally unlock real value."

Things might not get better quickly given a weak starting point, with only 38% of the company's global portfolio winning share at present, Barclays said, but the bank expressed confidence that there is urgency and clarity in the new CEO's plans, even if the content of the plan was not new.

"It's early days, but our sense is that Hein Schumacher has the best chance of actually delivering on the promises that long-standing Unilever observers have heard numerous times before," the bank said.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... nary-3.11p

The above quote is from the Company News area of the above linked page on HL.

ULVR are up nearly 2% as I type. As to whether that's due to the above, who knows?

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 9th, 2023, 3:24 pm

Sounds like praise for a new football manger. Not really worth anything. Merely an opinion, but no harm I suppose

Dod

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » November 9th, 2023, 4:20 pm

It's a huge juggernaut and changing anything will be extremely difficult in practice. People will carry on doing what they have been doing and the 'culture' will not change in the short to medium term, if ever.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 12th, 2023, 7:13 am

Unilever's 'green' claims come under CMA microscope.

The CMA will scrutinise 'green' claims made by Unilever about certain household essential items, such as a number of cleaning products and toiletries.

· CMA to examine 'green' claims made by Unilever to make sure shoppers aren't being misled

· CMA is concerned that Unilever may be overstating how green certain products are through the use of vague and broad claims, unclear statements around recyclability, and 'natural' looking images and logos

· CMA CEO: "We'll be drilling down into Unilever's claims to see if they measure up"

The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) will be scrutinising environmental claims made by the consumer goods group Unilever, which is known for brands including Cif, Dove, Comfort, and Lynx. The move comes as part of the CMA's wider investigation into greenwashing and follows concerns around how Unilever is marketing certain products, within some brands, to customers as environmentally friendly.

https://www.lse.co.uk/rns/unilever-2268 ... cc6tx.html

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 12th, 2023, 7:24 am

idpickering wrote:Unilever's 'green' claims come under CMA microscope.

The CMA will scrutinise 'green' claims made by Unilever about certain household essential items, such as a number of cleaning products and toiletries.

· CMA to examine 'green' claims made by Unilever to make sure shoppers aren't being misled

· CMA is concerned that Unilever may be overstating how green certain products are through the use of vague and broad claims, unclear statements around recyclability, and 'natural' looking images and logos

· CMA CEO: "We'll be drilling down into Unilever's claims to see if they measure up"

The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) will be scrutinising environmental claims made by the consumer goods group Unilever, which is known for brands including Cif, Dove, Comfort, and Lynx. The move comes as part of the CMA's wider investigation into greenwashing and follows concerns around how Unilever is marketing certain products, within some brands, to customers as environmentally friendly.

https://www.lse.co.uk/rns/unilever-2268 ... cc6tx.html

Ian.

I would have thought that there might have been more important things for the CMA to be concerned about but at the same time if it nudges Unilever 'back to business' so much the better.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 12th, 2023, 7:45 am

Heads up! Unilever r to be discussed on Bloomberg TV UK in a few minutes.

Ian.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » January 19th, 2024, 10:48 am

More poor news flow.

Q3 profit miss by Hindustan Unilever: https://www.reuters.com/business/retail ... 024-01-19/

And Ben & Jerry are at it again: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-67991822

vand
Lemon Slice

Postby vand » January 22nd, 2024, 11:13 pm

Ol' Scottie's somewhere in the engine room at the back shouting "she's headin' down cap'n.... I cannae turn her round, I just doont have the powahh..."

I mean, Jesus. What a sorry state. Thought I would be tempted back in by now at these much more sensible multiples, and I probably will be of it stays here much longer, but can't say I'm in a huge rush to deploy my hard earned bonus cheque into this.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 22nd, 2024, 11:43 pm

vand wrote:Ol' Scottie's somewhere in the engine room at the back shouting "she's headin' down cap'n.... I cannae turn her round, I just doont have the powahh..."

I mean, Jesus. What a sorry state. Thought I would be tempted back in by now at these much more sensible multiples, and I probably will be of it stays here much longer, but can't say I'm in a huge rush to deploy my hard earned bonus cheque into this.

Wait for the full yr results due 8th February.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 23rd, 2024, 6:03 am

They need to get rid of Ben and Jerry. I do not understand why they are hanging on to it. But I agree, we need to see the full results on 8 February to get a grip on what is going on.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 23rd, 2024, 7:26 am

It's beginning to sound a bit like "blood on the floor" - soon, time to buy.

Arb.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 23rd, 2024, 7:26 am

Dod101 wrote:They need to get rid of Ben and Jerry. I do not understand why they are hanging on to it. But I agree, we need to see the full results on 8 February to get a grip on what is going on.

Dod

I think they're a diversity brand for ULVR - like Green & Blacks were for Cadbury.
In its sector it is still pretty well regarded brand and could represent a bit of a hedge

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 24th, 2024, 11:17 am

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail ... 024-01-24/

"Investors and analysts, who warned that the prolonged hikes could alienate shoppers in the long term, have called out Unilever's shrinking market share for several quarters, raising concerns over growing private label brands on conference calls."

"From ice cream to mayonnaise and laundry detergent, Unilever lost market share in the quarter, the data showed. In Europe, the company's share of the ice cream category declined by 141 basis points in the month to Dec. 3, while mayonnaise declined by 374 basis points."

"Overall, Unilever's European market share in food fell by 160 basis points, while market share in household and personal goods fell by 52 basis points."

"In the United States, Unilever's body wash business, which includes Dove products, lost the most market share - down 510 basis points - while deodorant brands such as Axe fell 310 basis points in the month to Dec. 2, Nielsen data showed. Household and personal goods in the U.S. fell 245 basis points, while food fell only 20 basis points. Unilever did not respond to a request for comment."

"Unilever, like others in the industry, has also lost market share because it has been cutting down on the variety of products it makes, particularly in ice cream, using artificial intelligence and other tools to help it decide which products to drop."

""Schumacher has highlighted that winning market share is an area where they are focused on delivering improvement," he said. "This will inevitably take time in terms of turning this around, so investor patience is certainly required.""

I think many Lemons foresaw the affect that price hikes & shrinkflation might have. Once brand loyalty has been lost in favour of a cheaper supermarket label then it migh be difficult to coax buyers back. Unilever will have to increase advertising (easier/less costly if the number of products is reduced) and might have to run promotions which will have an effect on margin.

As for using AI to help decide which products to drop...in the old days they might simply get the accountants to "look at the numbers" to decide.

The repeated recent Ben & Jerry shananighans were the last straw for me. They are a pain in the side. I decided to simply invest in an IT which has a higher yield and a growing dividend. I await the Feb 8th results. Mr Schumacher has a difficult job ahead methinks.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 24th, 2024, 12:11 pm

monabri wrote:I think many Lemons foresaw the affect that price hikes & shrinkflation might have. Once brand loyalty has been lost in favour of a cheaper supermarket label then it migh be difficult to coax buyers back. Unilever will have to increase advertising (easier/less costly if the number of products is reduced) and might have to run promotions which will have an effect on margin.

As for using AI to help decide which products to drop...in the old days they might simply get the accountants to "look at the numbers" to decide.

The repeated recent Ben & Jerry shananighans were the last straw for me. They are a pain in the side. I decided to simply invest in an IT which has a higher yield and a growing dividend. I await the Feb 8th results. Mr Schumacher has a difficult job ahead methinks.

The conventional wisdom is that a shopping "rotation" occurs, with own labels being in the ascendant when times are tough - reverting to brands on that reversing. Of course, the eternal question is: will they?

No idea about Ben & Jerry or what the shananighans are - total ignorance or indifference on my part.

Arb.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 24th, 2024, 12:32 pm

Arborbridge wrote:No idea about Ben & Jerry or what the shananighans are - total ignorance or indifference on my part.

Arb.

See Simoan's post above ( Jan 19th).

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 24th, 2024, 1:00 pm

monabri wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:No idea about Ben & Jerry or what the shananighans are - total ignorance or indifference on my part.

Arb.

See Simoan's post above ( Jan 19th).

I don't see a problem with that. I don't think I would be against their making a stand for peace so much that I would sell the shares.

Arb.

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”