Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Unilever (ULVR)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Re: Unilever (ULVR)

Postby SalvorHardin » April 30th, 2022, 12:23 pm

In case anyone missed it, Unilever is still operating in Russia where they have clearly decided that ice cream is an "essential food".

"Unilever has admitted it is still selling ice cream brands including Cornetto and Magnum in Russia despite pledging to only supply “everyday essential food” in the wake of the invasion of Ukraine."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/04/28/unilever-still-selling-ice-cream-russia/

Ben & Jerry's meanwhile hasn't criticised Russia for invading Ukraine. I know, "why should an ice cream company say anything about Russia invading Ukraine" is a good answer. But Ben & Jerry's were very enthusiastic in putting Kremlin propaganda on its Twitter as linked below (dated 4th Feb 2022):

https://twitter.com/benandjerrys/status/1489393235655106562?lang=en

I recently took every Unilever product off my future shopping list.

As a contrast Diageo (a share which many Unilever shareholders on TLF also own) has stopped selling in Russia.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/guinness-jameson-baileys-quit-russia

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 30th, 2022, 2:07 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:In case anyone missed it, Unilever is still operating in Russia where they have clearly decided that ice cream is an "essential food".

"Unilever has admitted it is still selling ice cream brands including Cornetto and Magnum in Russia despite pledging to only supply “everyday essential food” in the wake of the invasion of Ukraine."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/04/28/unilever-still-selling-ice-cream-russia/

Ben & Jerry's meanwhile hasn't criticised Russia for invading Ukraine. I know, "why should an ice cream company say anything about Russia invading Ukraine" is a good answer. But Ben & Jerry's were very enthusiastic in putting Kremlin propaganda on its Twitter as linked below (dated 4th Feb 2022):

https://twitter.com/benandjerrys/status/1489393235655106562?lang=en

I recently took every Unilever product off my future shopping list.

As a contrast Diageo (a share which many Unilever shareholders on TLF also own) has stopped selling in Russia.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/guinness-jameson-baileys-quit-russia

Yes Unilever got quite a bit of stick in the Times as well. It is not a good look, however they justify it.

Dod

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » April 30th, 2022, 4:37 pm

I'm confused now, are they woke or not?

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 31st, 2022, 7:17 am

Appointment of Non-Executive Director.

Unilever PLC today announces the appointment of Nelson Peltz as a Non-Executive Director of the company and as a member of its Compensation Committee.

https://www.unilever.com/news/press-and ... -director/

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 31st, 2022, 7:29 am

idpickering wrote:Appointment of Non-Executive Director.

Unilever PLC today announces the appointment of Nelson Peltz as a Non-Executive Director of the company and as a member of its Compensation Committee.

Ian.

This appointment is not just of any NED. He is the activist who has been stirring for change, and is surely a very positive sign that Unilever recognises that Peltz's intervention needs to be taken seriously. Good on Unilever I'd say, and let's hope the share price responds accordingly.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 31st, 2022, 7:57 am

Dod101 wrote:

Ian.

This appointment is not just of any NED. He is the activist who has been stirring for change, and is surely a very positive sign that Unilever recognises that Peltz's intervention needs to be taken seriously. Good on Unilever I'd say, and let's hope the share price responds accordingly.

Dod

Morning Dod. That was the spin put on this news when I first heard of this, on Bloomberg this morning. Hence my having looked for this related news item. Interesting times may be forthcoming for the firm and shareholders alike perhaps?

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 31st, 2022, 8:05 am

idpickering wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Ian.

Dod

Morning Dod. That was the spin put on this news when I first heard of this, on Bloomberg this morning. Hence my having looked for this related news item. Interesting times may be forthcoming for the firm and shareholders alike perhaps?

Ian.

Others have got a lot more on Peltz than I have but I think it was SalvorHardin who has the info about Peltz and Proctor and Gamble for instance.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 31st, 2022, 8:22 am

Share price up to over £40 on opening. Presumably it will fall back as Peltz is not joining the Board until July but it is surely a good sign.

Dod
Last edited by Dod101 on May 31st, 2022, 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 31st, 2022, 8:23 am

ULVR are up 6% as I type! It seems the above news has been well received?

No knee jerk reactions from me on this. I’m happy to continue hanging onto my ULVR shares for the long term.

Our posts passed each other in the ether it seems a Dod.

Ian.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 31st, 2022, 9:24 am

"member of the compensation committee "

Good!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 31st, 2022, 9:38 am

monabri wrote:"member of the compensation committee "

Good!

Why do you say that? Compensation has never been the real issue hear as far as I know.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 31st, 2022, 10:24 am

Dod101 wrote:

Good!

Why do you say that? Compensation has never been the real issue hear as far as I know.

Dod

The presence of Peltz as a member of said committee will hopefully focus the management team to turn around a business that has, of late, been performing lack-lusterdly. Peltz, independently wealthy, can have an influence on the reward structure at Unilever.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 31st, 2022, 10:35 am

monabri wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Good!

Dod

The presence of Peltz as a member of said committee will hopefully focus the management team to turn around a business that has, of late, been performing lack-lusterdly. Peltz, independently wealthy, can have an influence on the reward structure at Unilever.

I do not see that membership of the compensation committee (silly wording anyway, why not call it remuneration committee?) is very significant. It is the overall strategy of the company that I expect him to influence. The reward structure is I assume in line with most other companies of the same size/standing and I have never read of it as being a particular issue.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 31st, 2022, 10:54 am

Dod101 wrote:
monabri wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Good!

Dod

I do not see that membership of the compensation committee (silly wording anyway, why not call it remuneration committee?) is very significant. It is the overall strategy of the company that I expect him to influence. The reward structure is I assume in line with most other companies of the same size/standing and I have never read of it as being a particular issue.

Dod

I don't like the use of the word "compensation" in this context, neither, what's wrong with "salary" or "pay"?

Trian have built up a sizeable holding in Unilever and Peltz's involvement in outlining any updated or new strategy has the backing of a financial "stick" in relation to management's ( Jope et al) total pay. If he did not have any input on this ( pay), he might be ignored.

It's Peltz's ability to command attention and be listened to which will be aided by his position on the committee...hence why I said " good".

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 31st, 2022, 11:12 am

monabri wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
monabri wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Good!

Dod

Dod

I don't like the use of the word "compensation" in this context, neither, what's wrong with "salary" or "pay"?

Trian have built up a sizeable holding in Unilever and Peltz's involvement in outlining any updated or new strategy has the backing of a financial "stick" in relation to management's ( Jope et al) total pay. If he did not have any input on this ( pay), he might be ignored.

It's Peltz's ability to command attention and be listened to which will be aided by his position on the committee...hence why I said " good".

Come on people. This is like two bald blokes arguing over a comb! Nelson Peltz is a force for good for other shareholders; he has skin in the game. As a NED he has to have some kind of role on a committee or something or other. Who cares what that role is? It's irrelevant!

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 31st, 2022, 11:32 am

simoan wrote:
monabri wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
monabri wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Dod

Come on people. This is like two bald blokes arguing over a comb! Nelson Peltz is a force for good for other shareholders; he has skin in the game. As a NED he has to have some kind of role on a committee or something or other. Who cares what that role is? It's irrelevant!

"Some kind of role"?? My point is that the role in determining the level of financial reward for the senior management team makes it more likely he will be listened to. Given enough money, you or I could buy 1.5% of Unilever but I'd want to be on a board where I'd be listened to and be able to have some degree of influence with the management.

Welcome to (comb) Fight Club!

;)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 31st, 2022, 12:28 pm

simoan wrote:
monabri wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
monabri wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Dod

That of course was my point this morning and why I welcome his appointment as a NED. I am also encouraged by the fact that Unilever is apparently prepared to welcome him on board as it shows an openness to new ideas.
Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 31st, 2022, 12:47 pm

Twas never an argument. Dod asked me a question and I tried to explain why I had made the comment.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 31st, 2022, 1:35 pm

monabri wrote:Twas never an argument. Dod asked me a question and I tried to explain why I had made the comment.

And meanwhile, some of us were getting a whole series of notifications that there was an interesting discussion on the Unilever forum...

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » June 6th, 2022, 12:32 pm

monabri wrote:"Some kind of role"?? My point is that the role in determining the level of financial reward for the senior management team makes it more likely he will be listened to. Given enough money, you or I could buy 1.5% of Unilever but I'd want to be on a board where I'd be listened to and be able to have some degree of influence with the management.

So Trian/Peltz have 1.5% of Unilever.
Blackrock have 8%.
1.5% isn't even disclosable/significant shareholding.
not forgetting the Leverhulme trust holdings either etc.

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”