Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Morrisons (MRW)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Morrisons (MRW)

Postby Dod101 » July 7th, 2021, 1:13 pm

Alaric wrote:
Dod101 wrote:There is a report in the Times this morning that the property alone could be worth almost £9 billion.

You wonder whether they ought not to be reporting some form of segmental analysis. That's where the property assets are either part of a separate company or are reported as if they were. That would however require the supermarket side to pay notional rent to the property side. That could encourage bizarre behaviour where it appeared "cheaper" to abandon an owned site in favour of a rented one.

That is though an idea and it is pretty obvious that the directors had not really focussed on the property side, hardly surprising in the last year or two mind you.

Dod

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 7th, 2021, 6:10 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
dealtn wrote:Firstly this isn't a HYP Board or HYP discussion. Feel free to have that elsewhere, but I won't be joining you. This is a Company News thread.

However we aren't living in a vacuum. There is a government, and a set of rules about how capitalism works, and takeovers generally. Where is your evidence this bidder, or any other, isn't adhering to those?

With all due respect, you have commented on this takeover from your POV as a particular type of investor, and so have I. The difference in approach - I was reminding you - could be due to our different investing styles. To make out that only your POV driven by your invesment approach must be discussed here and not mine is not acceptable in my view. We were both discussing the company news but from differeing standpoints. I will not be censored by you in that way.

Arb.

I think you misunderstand. You want to discuss the HYP philosophy and ask me to comment on it. That conversation is only relevant on the HYP-P Board. I am not allowed to comment on it there, I can't join you. Even if I was allowed to comment on it it would be seen as a criticism and be reported no doubt. I understand the philosophy but can't understand the dogmatism attached to it that means anyone offered a chance to increase their income from HYP style investments would prefer the lower income alternative.

Mods, feel free to delete this post as off-topic for the Board!

Moderator Message:
I think that this discussion has gone as far as it usefully can. Everybody has stated their opinion, and there doesn't seem any point in adding to it (at least here) until and unless some new news is announced. Participants are welcome to open a thread on the high yield strategies board, but not HYP-P, please. --MDW1954

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 8th, 2021, 12:13 pm

Hedge funds are keeping their powder dry on Morrisons because they believe the market has overexaggerated the prospect of a knockout swoop from a private equity buyer. Opportunistic investors - which would ordinarily be expected to pile into Britain’s fourth-biggest grocer on hopes of a bidding war after an offer to take it private - are sitting on the sidelines because they think shares have already reached the maximum price buyout funds would be willing to pay. - Telegraph

Considering that Morrisons' shares at now at a 5 year high, they may well be right.

V8

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » July 8th, 2021, 12:45 pm

88V8 wrote:Hedge funds are keeping their powder dry on Morrisons because they believe the market has overexaggerated the prospect of a knockout swoop from a private equity buyer. Opportunistic investors - which would ordinarily be expected to pile into Britain’s fourth-biggest grocer on hopes of a bidding war after an offer to take it private - are sitting on the sidelines because they think shares have already reached the maximum price buyout funds would be willing to pay. - Telegraph

Considering that Morrisons' shares at now at a 5 year high, they may well be right.

V8

And then, of course it could just all be nonsense! Who knows? Not the Telegraph, that's for sure. You said you sold the other day and so IMHO you should just move on without any kind of "sellers remorse". I find this is always the best approach, as opposed to looking around for confirmation you made the right decision - that way madness lies. You made a decision to sell and it could turn out to be a good one. The idea is to make more good decisions than bad decisions, not to get them 100% right all the time.

All the best, Si

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 8th, 2021, 6:01 pm

simoan wrote:
88V8 wrote:Hedge funds are keeping their powder dry on Morrisons because they believe the market has overexaggerated the prospect of a knockout swoop from a private equity buyer......Telegraph..
Considering that Morrisons' shares are now at a 5 year high, they may well be right.

You said you sold the other day and so IMHO you should just move on without any kind of "sellers remorse".

You're right, and I have.
I guess I'm just giving a hint that perhaps this is a good time to 'move on' with these low yielders at a 5-year high n'all.

V8

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 12th, 2021, 4:54 pm

Sunday Times Business had a long front page article headed "Morrisons' bosses set for millions - 3 directors in line for £35million payday from sale of Yorkshire grocer". 3 directors would get £35m between them if the proposed t/o goes ahead, £19.6m going to CEO David Potts "if the board decides to honour share awards granted to executives under LTIPs". Potts is guaranteed a £9.2m payout from the deal on the shares he already owns.

"This would be a vastly excessive windfall, reflecting the fact that pay for CEOs of listed companies is structured in a way that wildly over-estimates their importance", said Luke Hildyard, director of The High Pay Centre think tank, who added that gratuitous shares awards were incentivising boards to succumb to private equity bids." Eye-popping sums listed for other executives. Worth reading the whole article. (Try googling the heading) and also the even larger one on Page 4 headed "Morrisons' holy trinity and the trolleys of lolly." Should the Fortress see off competing interest, Pott and Strain will stay on under the new owners. Apparently Potts had only intended to stay at Morrison's for 5 years before joining a private equity firm but in 2020 asked to stay on longer, till he had pulled off a deal presumably.

Kwasi Kwarteng is going to ask Potts on Friday to explain the rationale behind "accepting the offer from Fortress and the company's plans".

Amazing, really, when you consider the price is not yet back to what it was in 2011 so long term holders are not going to be enriched.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 12th, 2021, 6:04 pm

Bouleversee wrote:
Amazing, really, when you consider the price is not yet back to what it was in 2011 so long term holders are not going to be enriched.

Long Term holders are enriched in exactly the same way other term holders are. The share price is up about 50% in the last month for anyone holding from that time.

If holders since 2011 have lost money that is down to their investment decision in 2011 (and their decision ever since to remain holding), and nothing to do with the events of the last month and the emergence of a bidder.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » July 20th, 2021, 9:34 am

I happen to have noticed that this morning's "Disclosure Table" from the Takeover Panel has deleted the potential offer from Apollo, leaving just the recommended offer from Fortress and the potential offer from Clayton, Dubilier & Rice. More investigation based on that found an RNS from Apollo, the important part of which is:

As a consequence of these discussions, Apollo confirms that it does not intend to make an offer for Morrisons other than as part of the Fortress Offer. This is a statement to which Rule 2.8 of the City Code on Takeovers and Mergers (the "Code") applies. The Panel on Takeovers and Mergers (the "Panel") has confirmed to Apollo that this statement and the restrictions in Rule 2.8 of the Code will not restrict Apollo from entering into a transaction with Fortress in relation to Morrisons as part of the Fortress Offer.

Under Note 2 on Rule 2.8 of the Code, Apollo (and any person acting in concert with it) reserves the right to set aside the restrictions in Rule 2.8 with the agreement of the board of directors of Morrisons to the extent such agreement is given after the Fortress Offer is withdrawn or lapses.

Rather unhelpfully, this doesn't show up on Investegate if one searches either for the EPIC/TIDM "MRW" or for company names containing "Morrison" - I located it by searching for company names containing "Apollo".

The share price hasn't reacted much - it's fallen less than a penny, and is still more than 7p above the recommended offer's 254p. Whether that's because the market is expecting a higher offer to actually materialise from Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, or because it's expecting one to come from an as-yet-unknown bidder, or because it hasn't yet properly noticed the disappearance of the potential offer from Apollo, I don't know - though the last explanation is probably the least likely!

Gengulphus

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » July 20th, 2021, 10:28 am

Gengulphus wrote:The share price hasn't reacted much - it's fallen less than a penny, and is still more than 7p above the recommended offer's 254p. Whether that's because the market is expecting a higher offer to actually materialise from Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, or ...

According to Yahoo...

"Under takeover rules, CD&R had until 17 July to return with a counter bid, but the company let the deadline lapse over the weekend. https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/morri ... 52417.html "

I haven't checked the details, but I was under the impression this meant they couldn't return with another bid now for a period of time.

The same article also says...

"The company [Apollo] reserved the right to launch a full bid if the Fortress deal falls through."

(Caveat, like you, I'm not too interested in the details, because I sold my MRW early last week, figuring a bird in the hand and all that ... I'm only watching to see whether my decision paid off or not... though I won't be too upset if I get wrong footed.. unless perhaps it finally gets taken over at 300p+, but at this moment I'm not sure that seems likely... at the time I sold, it seemed to be potential for 5% up or 5% down from where it was based on the numbers being banded around... and lets not forget, any deal needs approval and there are some mumblings that some of the big shareholders aren't too happy, and also the government seems to have taken an interest and may want to be seen to be 'protecting uk interests' or some such, so even the 254p isn't necessarily a given; it could still end up falling through and going lower than that)

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » July 20th, 2021, 12:38 pm

onthemove wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:The share price hasn't reacted much - it's fallen less than a penny, and is still more than 7p above the recommended offer's 254p. Whether that's because the market is expecting a higher offer to actually materialise from Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, or ...

According to Yahoo...

"Under takeover rules, CD&R had until 17 July to return with a counter bid, but the company let the deadline lapse over the weekend. https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/morri ... 52417.html "

I haven't checked the details, but I was under the impression this meant they couldn't return with another bid now for a period of time.

That's actually the reason behind why I happened to check the Takeover Panel's disclosure list! I remembered that the announcement of Clayton, Dubilier & Rice's takeover approach had said that they had to either announce a firm bid or that they would not be making a bid by a deadline, and vaguely remembered that the deadline was a few weeks into July. So I went back to the RNS announcing the approach and found that it says:

In accordance with Rule 2.6(a) of the Takeover Code, CD&R is required, by no later than 5.00 p.m. on 17 July 2021, to either announce a firm intention to make an offer for the Company in accordance with Rule 2.7 of the Takeover Code or announce that it does not intend to make an offer for the Company, in which case the announcement will be treated as a statement to which Rule 2.8 of the Takeover Code applies. This deadline can be extended with the consent of the Panel on Takeovers and Mergers in accordance with Rule 2.6(c) of the Takeover Code.

Note that it says that an announcement of one type or the other is required to be made - there isn't the option of letting the deadline lapse (so the author of the Yahoo quote you've found is on decidedly shaky ground...). However, no such announcement had been made, so I looked for an explanation. The obvious possibility was that the deadline had been extended with the consent of the Takeover Panel, but I also didn't find any announcement that that had happened. What I did find was that in the Takeover Panel's disclosure tables, which are published shortly after the start and end of each trading day (and occasionally at other times) and can be found from https://investegate.co.uk/Index.aspx?se ... over+Panel, the bid by Clayton, Dubilier & Rice had changed from saying "Rule 2.6 deadline: 17:00 17-Jul-2021" to saying "Rule 2.6 deadline: to be determined", and checking through those tables (using the 'binary chop' technique of repeatedly checking halfway through the date range in which the change was known to have happened to pin it down to the first or second half of that range) fairly quickly revealed that it had happened on the morning of July 5th. That was the day that the Fortress bid was announced, so it looked like that had somehow triggered the change, and digging into Rule 2.6 of the Takeover Code revealed Rule 2.6(b):

Rule 2.6(a) will not apply, or will cease to apply, to a potential offeror if another offeror has already announced, or subsequently announces (prior to the relevant deadline), a firm intention to make an offer for the offeree company. In such circumstances, the potential offeror will be required to clarify its intentions in accordance with Rule 2.6(d) below.

Rule 2.6(d) then says:

When an offeror has announced a firm intention to make an offer and it has been announced that a publicly identified potential offeror might make a competing offer (whether that announcement was made prior to or following the announcement of the first offer), the potential offeror must, by 5.00 pm on Day 53, either:

(i) announce a firm intention to make an offer in accordance with Rule 2.7; or
(ii) announce that it does not intend to make an offer, in which case the announcement will be treated as a statement to which Rule 2.8 applies.

(See Section 4 of Appendix 7 where the first offeror is proceeding by means of a scheme of arrangement.)

Fortress's offer is being made by a scheme of arrangement, so that then leads to Section 4 of Appendix 7, which says:

4 HOLDING STATEMENTS

(a) When an offeror has announced a firm intention to make an offer to be implemented by means of a scheme of arrangement and it has been announced that a potential competing offeror might make an offer (see Rules 2.6(d) and (e)), the Panel will normally require the potential offeror to clarify its position by no later than 5.00 pm on the seventh day prior to the date of the shareholder meetings.

(b) Where appropriate, however, taking into account all relevant factors, including:

(i) the interests of offeree company shareholders and the desirability of clarification prior to the shareholder meetings; and
(ii) the time which the potential offeror has had to consider its position,

the Panel may permit the potential offeror to clarify its position after the date of the shareholder meetings but before the date of the court sanction hearing.

(c) The Panel will announce the deadline by which clarification is required under paragraph (a) or (b) above.

So the answer is that Fortress's offer has automatically caused the deadline for Clayton, Dubilier & Rice to be extended, and the extension is probably to a date which is seven days before the shareholder meetings, which presumably cannot be announced yet because the date of those shareholder meetings hasn't been announced.

Probably rather more detail about the Takeover Code than most people will want to know... But an illustration of the sort of detective work that's sometimes needed to work out what's going on, and it did have the side-effect of causing me to notice that Apollo's potential bid had vanished.

onthemove wrote:The same article also says...

"The company [Apollo] reserved the right to launch a full bid if the Fortress deal falls through."

Yes, that's in my quote in the above post. In my HYP Practical board post, I thought it appropriate just to say that Apollo had "basically committed itself" rather than "committed itself" - the crucial point is that what it's said means that it's no longer in this bidding war for Morrisons, while the various let-outs (which also include the general let-out that a commitment not to bid for a company only lasts for 6 months) normally only allow taking part in another bidding war.

onthemove wrote:(Caveat, like you, I'm not too interested in the details, because I sold my MRW early last week, figuring a bird in the hand and all that ... I'm only watching to see whether my decision paid off or not... though I won't be too upset if I get wrong footed.. unless perhaps it finally gets taken over at 300p+, but at this moment I'm not sure that seems likely... at the time I sold, it seemed to be potential for 5% up or 5% down from where it was based on the numbers being banded around... and lets not forget, any deal needs approval and there are some mumblings that some of the big shareholders aren't too happy, and also the government seems to have taken an interest and may want to be seen to be 'protecting uk interests' or some such, so even the 254p isn't necessarily a given; it could still end up falling through and going lower than that)

Yes, indeed. I don't think it at all likely that a Conservative government will block this bid in order to 'protect UK interests' (there have been takeovers with far clearer cases that haven't been blocked, such as the 2016 takeover of ARM Holdings) or that this bid will fall through for any other reason. But it could happen - and I'm completely relaxed about that possibility: if it does, I might even end up buying back in... But that's clearly not going to happen until this bidding war is over, so barring something completely unexpected, I'm out until at least then!

Gengulphus

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 21st, 2021, 1:09 am

Gengulphus wrote:...Rather unhelpfully, this doesn't show up on Investegate if one searches either for the EPIC/TIDM "MRW" ...

Helpfully though, it does turn up if you subscribe to Investegate's alerts for MRW. I got this in an email first thing Tuesday morning.

Investegate Alert Service wrote:Apollo Mgt IX Alert
You've requested that we send you email alerts on announcements made by or referring to Apollo Mgt IX (MRW).
Please note there has just been an announcement.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 21st, 2021, 1:57 pm

Lengthy article in The Times Business today, headed "Morrisons still has lots on the shelf", says that whilst Apollo is now hoping to join a consortium led by Fortress, Clayton Dubilier & Rice is gearing up for a sweetened offer and should return to the table soon. Share price up to 264.04 last time I looked. Am debating whether to sell now or wait for the fat lady to sing.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 21st, 2021, 2:43 pm

Sold mine yesterday - which is usually a good BUY/HOLD indicator....
I had < £2k so not bothered about hanging around

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » July 21st, 2021, 3:11 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Sold mine yesterday - which is usually a good BUY/HOLD indicator....
I had < £2k so not bothered about hanging around

Same here. Sold mine yesterday which of course means good idea to hang on.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 21st, 2021, 3:15 pm

Cheap dealing HSDL....

BT63
Lemon Slice

Postby BT63 » July 21st, 2021, 6:56 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Lengthy article in The Times Business today, headed "Morrisons still has lots on the shelf", says that whilst Apollo is now hoping to join a consortium led by Fortress, Clayton Dubilier & Rice is gearing up for a sweetened offer and should return to the table soon. Share price up to 264.04 last time I looked. Am debating whether to sell now or wait for the fat lady to sing.

I have a good sized holding, accumulated several years ago at varying prices. I will probably hold on until the cash lands in my account.

These will be my famous last words but I think Morrisons could go for considerably more than the current price.
Some scribblings I made on the back of an envelope a few weeks ago led me to think just over 300p seemed a perfectly realistic final price. Unfortunately I threw the envelope away so I can't explain how I came to the 300-310p conclusion.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 22nd, 2021, 7:27 am

Publication of Scheme Document

On 3 July 2021, the boards of Morrisons and Bidco announced that they had reached agreement on the terms of a recommended all cash offer by Bidco for the entire issued, and to be issued, share capital of Morrisons (the "Fortress Offer"). The Fortress Offer is to be implemented by means of a scheme of arrangement pursuant to Part 26 of the Companies Act 2006, which requires the approval of the Scheme Shareholders at the Court Meeting and the General Meeting, and the sanction of the Court.

Publication and posting of the Scheme Document

Morrisons is pleased to announce that the circular in relation to the scheme containing, amongst other things, a letter from the Chair of Morrisons, an explanatory statement pursuant to section 897 of the Companies Act, the full terms and conditions of the Fortress Offer, notices convening the Court Meeting and the General Meeting, an expected timetable of principal events and details of the actions to be taken by Morrisons Shareholders (the "Scheme Document"), together with the associated Forms of Proxy and Forms of Instruction, are being published and sent today to Morrisons Shareholders, Morrisons CSN Participants and, for information only, to participants in the Morrisons Share Plans and persons with information rights. Morrisons Shareholders and Morrisons CSN Participants will receive the Scheme Document in accordance with the notice provisions in the Articles and any notice elections they may have given.

Subject to any restrictions relating to persons resident in Restricted Jurisdictions, the Scheme Document will be made available today on Morrisons' website at http://www.morrisons-corporate.com/inve ... m-fortress and will also be made available today on Fortress' website at http://www.fortress.com/offer-for-morrisons.

Defined terms used but not defined in this announcement have the meaning given to them in the Scheme Document.

Special Dividend

The board of Morrisons is also pleased to announce that it has declared a special dividend of 2 pence per Morrisons Share in cash (the "Special Dividend") which is conditional upon, and only payable if, the Scheme becomes Effective. The Special Dividend will be payable to those Morrisons Shareholders on the register of members as at the Scheme Record Date. The Special Dividend will be paid within 14 days of the Effective Date in the manner set out in the Scheme Document. Further details of the Special Dividend are set out in the Scheme Document.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/morrison- ... 00060537G/

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 22nd, 2021, 11:20 am

The Takeover Panel has given Clayton, Dubilier & Rice a 'put up or shut up' deadline of 9th August....

On 22 July 2021, Morrisons announced the publication of the scheme circular in relation to the Offer. That circular included notice of the shareholder meetings to approve the Offer, which are scheduled to be held on 16 August 2021.

Pursuant to Rule 2.6(d) and Section 4 of Appendix 7 of the Takeover Code (the "Code"), the Panel Executive has ruled that, unless the Executive consents otherwise, CD&R must, by 5.00 pm on 9 August 2021, either announce a firm intention to make an offer for Morrisons under Rule 2.7 of the Code or announce that it does not intend to make an offer for Morrisons. This deadline will cease to apply if, before that time, a third party other than CD&R has announced a firm intention to make an offer for Morrisons under Rule 2.7 of the Code.
https://www.investegate.co.uk/takeover- ... 52511447G/

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » July 22nd, 2021, 11:38 am

BT63 wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:Lengthy article in The Times Business today, headed "Morrisons still has lots on the shelf", says that whilst Apollo is now hoping to join a consortium led by Fortress, Clayton Dubilier & Rice is gearing up for a sweetened offer and should return to the table soon. Share price up to 264.04 last time I looked. Am debating whether to sell now or wait for the fat lady to sing.

I have a good sized holding, accumulated several years ago at varying prices. I will probably hold on until the cash lands in my account.

These will be my famous last words but I think Morrisons could go for considerably more than the current price.
Some scribblings I made on the back of an envelope a few weeks ago led me to think just over 300p seemed a perfectly realistic final price. Unfortunately I threw the envelope away so I can't explain how I came to the 300-310p conclusion.

Seems like no-one in the market has found your envelope, price still c.266p.

BT63
Lemon Slice

Postby BT63 » July 22nd, 2021, 12:44 pm

bluedonkey wrote:Seems like no-one in the market has found your envelope, price still c.266p.

CD&R haven't responded yet after their initial offer was rejected. I think they will be back soon with a sweetened offer. That might be followed by a further offer from Fortress-Apollo.

Three potential buyers have already materialised which suggests Morrisons is a bit of a bargain.

We can''t ignore the possibility of yet another bidder appearing if multiple vultures sense there's value to be extracted - and it has been said for a while that Amazon are looking for 'bricks and mortar' retail premises.

I certainly wouldn't add more to my holding at this time but I'm perfectly happy to hold.

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”