Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

National Grid (NG.)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
idpickering
The full Lemon

National Grid (NG.)

Postby idpickering » March 28th, 2019, 4:28 pm

This from TMF, written by Roland Head;

This is what I’d do about National Grid shares right now

The National Grid (LSE: NG) share price has rallied strongly and is up by about 15% so far in 2019. Is it too late to buy into this income stalwart?

In this article, I’ll give my verdict on National Grid. I’ll also reveal another income stock I like, which currently yields 7%.

The ultimate buy-and-hold?

The future is always uncertain. And it’s all too easy to construct worrisome stories that discourage you from making long-term investments.

After all, National Grid’s current UK business basically consists of operating electricity networks that are connected to a handful of big power stations and wind farms. Its gas network is similar.

What will happen if we all shift to microgeneration, with solar panels, fuel cells and battery packs in our garages? This kind of technology is becoming a reality and environmental concerns suggest it’s likely to happen. Will it make the grid redundant?

I think not. National Grid will need to change and invest in its network. But the idea that homes and businesses will go off-grid seems unlikely to me. To balance supply and demand and minimise pollution, I think it will be essential to be able to distribute energy efficiently across the UK.

Indeed, I think international energy trading is likely to expand, through greater use of undersea interconnectors. This is an area where National Grid has already been investing heavily.

https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2019/0 ... right-now/

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: National Grid (NG.)

Postby tjh290633 » March 28th, 2019, 6:18 pm

A bit ironic that that article appeared on a day when NG. fell over 3%. Said to be due to a BBC article which later disappeared, saying that Corbyn would today announce that Labour would nationalise National Grid.

TJH

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 28th, 2019, 6:27 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Said to be due to a BBC article which later disappeared, saying that Corbyn would today announce that Labour would nationalise National Grid.

Said by whom and where?

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 28th, 2019, 10:21 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:Said to be due to a BBC article which later disappeared, saying that Corbyn would today announce that Labour would nationalise National Grid.

Said by whom and where?

A contributor to the ADVFN board for NG. at https://uk.advfn.com/cmn/fbb/thread.php ... #firstpost

TJH

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 28th, 2019, 10:39 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:

Said by whom and where?

A contributor to the ADVFN board for NG. at https://uk.advfn.com/cmn/fbb/thread.php ... #firstpost

TJH

Alltough the BBC pulled the report, Reuters haven't pulled their report about the BBC's report.

Reuters wrote: National Grid shares fell more than 3 percent on Thursday after the BBC reported that Britain’s main opposition Labour party is preparing to announce plans to renationalise the utility. ... A BBC spokesman said the report was pulled after Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn delayed a speech he was due to make on Thursday announcing the policy.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-natio ... KKCN1R91PW

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 25th, 2019, 8:48 am

This from TMF;

Why I believe the National Grid share price is far too cheap

There’s no better investing bargain than the share of an otherwise healthy company that’s dipped on questionable news flow and speculation, in my view. In this context, I had written about fashion brand and retailer Ted Baker a few months ago, when its share price had plunged by over 22% on the back of a company scandal. It rose steadily over the next few months, falling only after the company put out pessimistic earnings guidance recently.

Similarly, FTSE 100 listed utility provider, National Grid (LSE: NG) is a strong company whose share price fell recently on news of potential re-nationalisation if Labour came back to power. I think this is understandably difficult news to digest for investors, particularly since it comes hot on the heels of another kind of labour challenge. Its US operations had hit full stop for six months on a dispute regarding terms for workers and resumed only in January this year.

Not to mention that questions of the potential Brexit impact still hang in the air. It’s little wonder that the share price has fallen by around 5% in April so far compared to last month. However, I am of the view that this decline is an opportunity to invest, after analysing the reasons dragging the share price down.

https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2019/0 ... too-cheap/

I'd probably buy more but the threat of a Labour Government is holding me back.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 16th, 2019, 7:20 am

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » May 16th, 2019, 8:29 am

It's already mentioned above, but the Labour party is reported as announcing an intention to nationalise. Given the extensive American interests, presumably they would have to break it up first to spilt off the UK network.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48286563

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » May 16th, 2019, 9:21 am

Another report, focusing first on the fall in profits, which moves on to discuss JC's nationalisation plans:
National Grid (NG.L) announced that its profits fell by almost a third the same day that the Labour Party is set to announce a plan that would see the company’s UK energy infrastructure taken into public ownership.

Pre-tax profits for the year to March fell by 31% to £1.8bn, mainly due to one-off factors, including a write-off of money spent on connecting two planned nuclear power plants in Cumbria and Wales that were later scrapped.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/profi ... 47051.html

As a holder I like NG's exposure to the US and it's dividend yield.

A report on Labour's Nationalisation plans:

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 16th, 2019, 9:42 am

Inevitably we now have two threads running. I know not why.

Dod

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » May 16th, 2019, 10:08 am

Dod101 wrote:Inevitably we now have two threads running. I know not why.

Dod

Yes, that's correct. As I understand it, that is why the system was set up. The HYP Practical board is used for the discussion of matters more tightly related to the stock within a HYP portfolio. The Share News board is used for the discussion of broader issues related to the stock and also avoids posters taking HYP discussions off-topic. Thus this board allows for discussion of aspects such as how nationalisation threats may affect the stock. Hence my post here and not on the HYP Practical board.

I hold a portfolio of shares, some high yield, some not.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 16th, 2019, 10:22 am

richfool wrote:Another report, focusing first on the fall in profits, which moves on to discuss JC's nationalisation plans:
National Grid (NG.L) announced that its profits fell by almost a third the same day that the Labour Party is set to announce a plan that would see the company’s UK energy infrastructure taken into public ownership.

Pre-tax profits for the year to March fell by 31% to £1.8bn, mainly due to one-off factors, including a write-off of money spent on connecting two planned nuclear power plants in Cumbria and Wales that were later scrapped.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/profi ... 47051.html

As a holder I like NG's exposure to the US and it's dividend yield.

A report on Labour's Nationalisation plans:

An insidious part of Labour's thinking that I read the other day is this. They will base the "compensation" to shareholders on what Parliament decides rather than any objective notion of value. Moreover their argument is that the value of Utilities is predicated on the discounted value of future dividends and, since under Labour's plans there will be no future dividends, those companies are worth far less than at present.

It is hard to conceive of a more circular or nasty piece of reasoning. They are literally announcing that they will talk down the value of these companies through threats, and then buy them for a peppercorn amount. This is nothing less than an ideological mugging.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 16th, 2019, 11:08 am

richfool wrote:

Dod

Yes, that's correct. As I understand it, that is why the system was set up. The HYP Practical board is used for the discussion of matters more tightly related to the stock within a HYP portfolio. The Share News board is used for the discussion of broader issues related to the stock and also avoids posters taking HYP discussions off-topic. Thus this board allows for discussion of aspects such as how nationalisation threats may affect the stock. Hence my post here and not on the HYP Practical board.

The fact of the matter is that nationalisation or the threat of it will certainly affect my HYP assuming I still hold Nat Grid if or when it comes about so it seems to me to be perfectly suited to the HYP Practical Board. Anyway we shareholders ought to be girding our loins to devise a plan of action should Corbyn and Co ever get to Downing Street. Could always sell I suppose.

Dod

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » May 16th, 2019, 11:12 am

richfool wrote:

Dod

Richfool,

Yes, your understanding is correct.

MDW1954

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 16th, 2019, 11:15 am

MDW1954 wrote:
richfool wrote:

Dod

Richfool,

Yes, your understanding is correct.

OK I will try to resist further comment on this.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 16th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Harvey Jones over at TMF penned this topical item;

Dare you buy the National Grid share price as Corbyn threatens nationalisation?

Transmissions giant and FTSE 100 stalwart National Grid (LSE: NG) is supposed to be one of the safest stocks around. As a heavily-regulated monopoly, it’s almost guaranteed steady profits, which funds a generous and solid dividend.

But there’s now a dark shadow hanging over the stock after the leaking of the ‘Bringing Energy Home’ policy document, which shows Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour Party is serious about bringing the £29bn-cap business back under state control.

https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2019/0 ... alisation/

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » May 16th, 2019, 1:48 pm

I wonder if NG is still on TMF's list of 5 shares to retire on.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 16th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Bouleversee wrote:I wonder if NG is still on TMF's list of 5 shares to retire on.

Any article with a title like that is doomed.

Remember "Never Sell Glaxo", the love affair with Hanson and ICI, or the Nifty Fifty?

Personally I'm still waiting to get my money back on Coats Viyella and Marconi.

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » May 16th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Lootman wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:I wonder if NG is still on TMF's list of 5 shares to retire on.

Remember "Never Sell Glaxo", the love affair with Hanson and ICI, or the Nifty Fifty?

I agree with you about stupidly titled articles - harbingers of doom indeed - but of those you mention the only one I have any experience with is GSK.

I have held it (or its predecessors) for nearly 30 years now, and am sitting on an XIRR of 9.6%.

No miracle worker, but a satisfactory component of my holdings. I top-slice and top-up occasionally but have no intention (at the moment) of selling up.

Good luck with Marconi -:)!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 16th, 2019, 6:43 pm

77ss wrote:
Lootman wrote:

I agree with you about stupidly titled articles - harbingers of doom indeed - but of those you mention the only one I have any experience with is GSK.

I have held it (or its predecessors) for nearly 30 years now, and am sitting on an XIRR of 9.6%.

No miracle worker, but a satisfactory component of my holdings. I top-slice and top-up occasionally but have no intention (at the moment) of selling up.

Good luck with Marconi -:)!

Fair play although didn't most of that return in Glaxo happen in the first of those three decades? The share price looks pretty flat or down over the last 20 years. It peaked at 2288 in January 1999 and I am seeing 1550 today.

Thank God for the dividends, I guess.

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”